Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Dry Van or reefer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just obtained my own authority and I'm looking for advice on a first purchase trailer. What it be better to purchase a refer as it is more versatile are what I be better off with a drive and for my 1st trailer.
I would say reefer would give you more options but you may not be able to load in some places that request strictly dryvan. unless you have something established I'd hold off on buying anything until the COVID-19 bs clears up alot of unknowns right now.
I’d wait a bit before purchasing, equipment prices may and will probably fall with the crisis going on now. Watch the auctions (Ritchie Brothers and such) to get a true value in today’s market.
Lots of dealers doing rentals now because of so much inventory.
Reefer if u have dedicated work that pays. Dry box will give u more work in more places. Rent u a dry box and test the market but its a prty shitty time to get into truckin. One of my customers is shut down for this damn virus and another just laid all the contract trucks off. Even my usual spring fertilizer is slow af.
Most of the loads I haul require a food grade dry van....this is why I figured a refer would fit the bill to cover that requirement as well as have the ability to do refrigerated work also.
Do you have customers? Not as easy as you think if you plan on running the load boards. The better brokers require 3 months activity, all the way out to one year with your operating authority before they will even look at you. Myself, I would look at LandStar and lease on with them, use their insurance, it will be much cheaper than what you are paying now. I believe you will find the rates better than what you can get on the load boards even after they take their pound of flesh.
Even Landstar is slow right now. You can still work with Landstar if you have your own authority, just like any other broker.

If you have knowledge/experience with refer loads and your direct customers need food grade equipment, then you probably already know what you're doing. If you think you can benefit from having a refer then go for it. It also gives to the ability to haul other temp sensitive stuff (heated/protect from freezing). It'll be a higher cost up front, but might give you more options.

There are plenty of rental/leasing options out there for trailers. Maybe go that route to start and see what works.
I have a unique situation...I have 3 power units and all are leased on with a local carrier....I have my authority on one truck and this carrier allows me to remain "leased on" and go out and get my own work also...so I'm not lacking for work just trying to further the business to the next level.
Reference URL's