Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Crankcase fumes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Every time I use my engine brake to slow down I get an overwhelming crankcase smell in the cab no other time I can full throttle this thing with the wind coming from any direction and nothing only when using the engine brake and it's gotten worse now that it's warmed up.

I put a plug on end of my exhaust manifold in case it was from the crossover and no change which granted would smell like exhaust not crankcase.

I have a new head and valve stems look good so seals are doin their job.

Crank vent tube when it was cold out with turbo at 85% closed 1500rpm was basically like a nice hot cup of coffee for steam coming out.

Tuned so no crank pressure sensor to look at driving and my only oil leak is from Jake brake plugin on side of head.

Never add any oil in 15,000 mile oil changes within first 5-7k miles it usually gets about half way through hash marks on dipstick then never moved again till it's changed.

What am I missing as far as what to look at.
could be normal if your cc filter is drilled out or you are using the maint. free one.

Could possibly add an extension to the cc filter pipe to put it past the front of the cab?

also should include miles, type, etc. on engine/truck, a bit of related history towards issue, etc. as a curtesy ... not everyone on here is familiar w your engine and truck. - i know I would not want to look thru 1,400 + posts of yours just to find out what your engine history is, just saying.
350k on overhaul, 270k on turbo, maint free breather, 80k on head, demandated from here,

My bad
(04-22-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote: [ -> ]350k on overhaul, 270k on turbo, maint free breather, 80k on head, demandated from here,

My bad

Lonestar reading here that you're deman'd and with Rawze said above regarding the CC filter, is that you're now thinking the cause of your odor? I thought I read in another thread some where that this odor out of the CC filter was somewhat common in this situation? Maybe I read that wrong and now not sure where I actually saw that being discussed.
Its intensity is just more than ever in past so I suppose that could be it
u sure its cc fumes and not valve guide seals leaking a bit that your smelling? - That would be the more common issue.

Maybe check for intake and exhaust/maniflod leaks too.
Did you just recently start using gear lube in your oil? It has a unique smell when its fresh. Its what diesel oil smelled like in the late 90's early 2000's before the EPA pulled the additives packages out.

My isx on startup when the actuator moved for quick heat up I would get a raw fuel smell that would about run you out of the truck when the actuator moved it was gone. the doser wasn't leaking the turbo passed all tests but for some reason the woven stainless downpipe would be smoking like a toker. Put three down pipes on it to no resolve. Finally put cheaper flex one on still did it drove me insane if I remember right it would do it on a parked regen which my truck didn't do very often. Just a thought , I was never smart enough to get a handle on it. I just stretching my imagination but if you have an actuator it is moving to about the same position with the jake on mine was on a preheat. just thinkin
well head is new, turbo doesnt go into warmup as the trucks tuned, its only when using the engine brake and i dont have any gear oil in this oil change

I have not had the want to go into walmart and get some let alone get groceries ive been doin all my truck supplies through my local dollar store as im only home on weekends and the stores in Mitchell and Sioux Falls are absolutely disqusting mad houses on the weekend since this bullshit started.

and my local car parts store is closed on weekends and i dont usualy make it home before they close on fridays so yeah.

i find it funny granted i live in south dakota we havent had 1 restriction since this crap started but in these fucked up states where they shut everyone down you can have hundreds of people shopping in walmarts/grocery stores/menards type stores where i gaurentee you "PHYSICAL" distancing is not happening like the Govs Decree but god forbid you be able to go into any type of non mega business.

and its "PHYSICAL" distancing because "SOCIAL" distancing means your a god damn hermit out in your cave in the woods. yeesh
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's