Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Coolant Reservoir Tank
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2013 T800 with a ISX CM2250. I’m very aware of all the issues they have.
My newest issue is the reservoir tank getting coolant on the left side of the tank where no coolant should be.
Have not done the block test kit as this problem has just shown up.
I’ve noticed there “seems “ to be coolant on the bottom of the radiator, but with the fan on it could of come from anywhere.
Going to get it all cleaned up as about a 1/2 quart of coolant is being used everyday now.
This could be as simple as a radiator leaking as opposed to the head gasket or air compressor making pressure.
My question for you is if the radiator is indeed compromised and releases pressure would the left side of the reservoir receive coolant?
Not sure how the left side of the reservoir works, just no that it should be empty as the right side receives coolant as it expands and contracts.
No clue on those goofy tanks, but I would pressurize your coolant system and see if there are any leaks. Normally it is just a clamp, tighten them up every month or so, they do loosen over time. And myself, I normally replace more than a few clamps every two years, most are junk anymore. The best clamp I have found to use are these stainless steel "Breeze" clamps. They last, and do the job they are intended to do, keep the liquids and gasses in.

These are the ones I like, FleetPride sometimes has them in stock.

https://amzn.to/2Yf2NcI

And they make an assortment of sizes and styles. Worth the extra money.
pressure test it to 20 psi using a pressure test kit and let it sit over night. Fix all leaks found and go from there.
On the petes, KW's, and Volvo's with the newer style plastic tanks, the pressure test kit goes at the pressure relief/overflow cap and not at the fill cap.
If it passes all the test, replace the reservoir. I experienced the same problem with coolant getting into the overfill side. We replaced 5 reservoirs all of them oem & finally the problem is fixed. We also replaced radiator, cac, water pump & the issue was still there. Finally the last reservoir TRP brand & I'm no longer getting coolant in the overfill compartment. Local dealer said they chased & replaced 6 reservoirs on a truck they had 2 months ago. I'm thinking the oem had a bad run on those reservoirs.

Good luck!
(06-12-2020 )Shotgun74 Wrote: [ -> ]If it passes all the test, replace the reservoir. I experienced the same problem with coolant getting into the overfill side. We replaced 5 reservoirs all of them oem & finally the problem is fixed. We also replaced radiator, cac, water pump & the issue was still there. Finally the last reservoir TRP brand & I'm no longer getting coolant in the overfill compartment. Local dealer said they chased & replaced 6 reservoirs on a truck they had 2 months ago. I'm thinking the oem had a bad run on those reservoirs.

Good luck!

That is good info on those tanks. I was up at the TA the other day and a driver was in there having his front brakes replaced on his Cascadia. He had the 2350 under the hood, and was having the same issues with his tank. I wish I would have known this info then... Thank you for posting!

And I did tell him to pressurize the system and check for leaks, etc... Sad though, nice guy, but he was one of those guys that relies on the dealership for everything. I am sure they will take him to the cleaners.
Reference URL's