Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: CM 870 High Oil Temp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone
Was running one of the 870's we went through this winter, first good day of pulling some wieght. A couple of things i noticed, The oil temp will run around 220ish with no load through a 40 ton excavator on the float and on hard pulls it was sitting just under 250. what do you consider normal and peak for this. This is the one i refered to in an earlier post that got a new oil pump and it ended up being one of the new cast ones oil press runs at 30-35 under load. I also noticed when jakes are applied with a load on you would swear the drive shaft was coming out from under the truck, hangers tight and ride hieght looks good, had the whole Rawze tune up. any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
What's the coolant temperature running at?
190-205 Coolant seams normal
Oil temps in the 240+F range (and higher) are not normal. Not even under high loads unless your absolutely torturing the engine.

first thoughts: high oil temps and over-powered/jerky engine brake can often be signs of bad custom programming/delete. Can cause exactly what you describe if someone jacked the engine brake setting up and advanced the injection timing in the ecm, or did not properly re-program the main engine mode control logic. May or may not be the issue, but is the most likely cause in most cases where what you describe is observed.

Is it custom tuned/deleted? - if so, by who was the programming done?

that or bad actuator(s), possibly slipped cam?, etc...

Does the program match the engine or has someone changed it to a higher HP one?. Could also be throwing it off, especially on CM870 as there are different wedge cam profiles that are not compatible with some programs people use to turn up the HP.

It can also be over-boosting like hell causing both of those issues due to somethign wrong with turbo, CAC, etc.

What is the boost climbing up to under maximum/high engine loads?- Does it have a mechanical gauge or only the dash gauge?. When is the last time the intake and exhaust pressure senors replaced?.
(06-10-2020 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]Oil temps in the 240+F range (and higher) are not normal. Not even under high loads unless your absolutely torturing the engine.

first thoughts: high oil temps and over-powered/jerky engine brake can often be signs of bad custom programming/delete. Can cause exactly what you describe if someone jacked the engine brake setting up and advanced the injection timing in the ecm, or did not properly re-program the main engine mode control logic. May or may not be the issue, but is the most likely cause in most cases where what you describe is observed.

Is it custom tuned/deleted? - if so, by who was the programming done?

that or bad actuator(s), possibly slipped cam?, etc...

Does the program match the engine or has someone changed it to a higher HP one?. Could also be throwing it off, especially on CM870 as there are different wedge cam profiles that are not compatible with some programs people use to turn up the HP.

It can also be over-boosting like hell causing both of those issues due to somethign wrong with turbo, CAC, etc.

What is the boost climbing up to under maximum/high engine loads?- Does it have a mechanical gauge or only the dash gauge?. When is the last time the intake and exhaust pressure senors replaced?.
Thanks Rawze, This is not demandated new egr, tuned by uni, boost runs 35-38 max pyro 700 to maybe 8 on the norm, I put in all new actuator springs when we did the overhead, checked pistons all looked good, CPL 8519 factory setting was 475 so i guess you would call this a mid tier?, All sensors were changed as per your recommedation, did notice there is some turbo cough as well, we did clean the exhaust pressure sensor line when i changed the sensor as well,cac was pressure tested at the same time, check the solenoids with it running and valve cover off ,the actuate like normal. If you are empty it seams fine.??
(06-10-2020 )2dlb Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Rawze, This is not demandated new egr, tuned by uni, boost runs 35-38 max pyro 700 to maybe 8 on the norm, I put in all new actuator springs when we did the overhead, checked pistons all looked good, CPL 8519 factory setting was 475 so i guess you would call this a mid tier?, All sensors were changed as per your recommedation, did notice there is some turbo cough as well, we did clean the exhaust pressure sensor line when i changed the sensor as well,cac was pressure tested at the same time, check the solenoids with it running and valve cover off ,the actuate like normal. If you are empty it seams fine.??

turbo cough is not a good sign. Pressure test the whole engine, not just the CAC. Find any air leaks and fix them. Also take it on a test drive with the exhaust unhooked from behind the turbo. Make sure there is no restriction in the exhaust. Also make sure the air-cleaner filter is new.

egt's sound a bit low if that is all you can get out of it. Should be fairly easy to squeeze 900 - 1000 out of the egt's if it is running right. You might be making too much air for the HP your producing. Perhaps a bit too much injection timing still?. Maybe bad timing actuator or slipped cam? -- All signs you describe still point that direction, just saying.
Ok Thanks, going to check the cams tomorrow,All new exhaust from turbo back to twin stacks. Whats the best way to pressure test the whole engine? I agree with you on the low egt the other 870 can hit 900 easy. New air filters with the tune up. twin filters
thanks for now
A block plates made and put on the inlet and exhaust of the turbo. Remove the turbo inlet temp sensor or maybe at another place and pressurize the whole engine up with 30 psi of shop air. Check for leaks.

Whenever there are higher than normal oil temps combined with lower then normal EGT's that is usually a sign of too much heat being absorbed into the cylinders and not getting out into the exhaust ... it is not a good thing, especially at higher power levels. Can lead to some very bad things like cracked head or pistons, burnt valve, etc. if left unchecked. That is only if this is the actual issue though.
(06-10-2020 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]A block plates made and put on the inlet and exhaust of the turbo. Remove the turbo inlet temp sensor or maybe at another place and pressurize the whole engine up with 30 psi of shop air. Check for leaks.

Whenever there are higher than normal oil temps combined with lower then normal EGT's that is usually a sign of too much heat being absorbed into the cylinders and not getting out into the exhaust ... it is not a good thing, especially at higher power levels. Can lead to some very bad things like cracked head or pistons, burnt valve, etc. if left unchecked. That is only if this is the actual issue though.
Hi Rawze
Made a tester and pressurized the engine, only leak i can find is air passing rings. wedged the cams and they are good. checked the overhead again, looks good, ran engine and activated solenoids they work properly.I had already reseal the jake wiring plug, so i know its not oil there. I dont recall the oil temps this high prior to reprogramming or an issue with the jakes being rough but hadnt had a heavy load on this prior to parking it at christmas.
Thanks for the help
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's