Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: What’s the saying? No good deed goes unpunished!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Trying to help an older couple get their truck running good enough to sell. They are good long time friends of my brother. The man found out he was sick a couple years ago and they quit trucking and sold their truck and trailer. (At that time it was immaculate and had been freshly inframed). The person who bought it did so on owner finance terms with a very small down payment, then proceeded to tear the living hell out of the truck in every way possible. Inside, outside, mechanical,....you name it. When it became too much for them to keep it going, they abandoned it, truck and trailer, way across the country from where the owners live.
The truck sat awhile in poor repair and another person who had an eye for it contacted the old couple and stated he had no money for a down payment but would pay for all the repair costs/tow costs if they would owner finance it to him. They decided to go ahead and try it again, thinking what would be the chances they would get f$cked again.
It appears this second person actually tried, a bit, but was either too lazy, or stupid to learn how to wrench on the truck himself, and therefor had to rely on the shitty shops and stealershits for the repairs. He lasted and even shorter time then the first person. Ran out of money, and abandoned the truck, not running, with a $3800 shop bill even further away from where the old couple live. In tears the old lady called my brother, a long time friend, and he payed one of his buddies to tow it to his ranch so we could take a look at it for her.
Of course we are not charging them anything for the labor, but they plan to buy whatever parts we need to get it in shape to sell.

Long story short: today’s disaster. We pulled the can down and popped it apart and here is what we found. I really don’t know what to suggest to them at this point. I know they don’t have the cash to buy a new DOC and DPF, plus all the other parts that will be required. I would suggest they demandate it, but that might make it hard to sell??? What do you guys think?? (First two pics are the DOC, last is the DPF)
Demandate, its way cheaper than fixing all that mess. There's a chance you'll never get it to be right again anyway ie. Constant cel's and derates because it was neglected for so long. You'll have a harder time selling it right now the way it is than you would with it running good but demandated. Still gonna take some money though. Are they totally flat broke? Might just be a basket case for parts if they can't afford to do anything with it.
They aren’t flat broke but they have already taken it in the shorts twice on this thing and I think they are fed up. They put big money into the inframe before it sold the first time, so they feel like they should get something out of it. IDK, though man, its just a bad situation. Thanks for your input Tree98.
What part of country if it's not in communist Canada or Cali a demand truck should sell ok
I don't see what year and kind of truck this is. What engine and set up does it have? What area of the country is it in?
Here ya go Chamber: 2008 Pete 386, CM871- factory 600HP, 13spd, 3:55 rears, currently it is in OKlahoma.
Sounds like a truck worth fixing up. That 600hp, 3:55 and 13 speed is a rare bird out here. I would think it would sell rather quickly to someone with real money. But, who knows... Very little makes sense out here anymore. Oh, and that motor is easily demandated in the driveway, like super easy. Just clean out the cans, plug the Venturi and clip one pin on a sensor... Just need a couple of files, easy peasy.
(06-27-2020 )JMBT Wrote: [ -> ]Here ya go Chamber: 2008 Pete 386, CM871- factory 600HP, 13spd, 3:55 rears, currently it is in OKlahoma.

Any idea what kind of money they need to get for it as-is?
(06-27-2020 )JMBT Wrote: [ -> ]Here ya go Chamber: 2008 Pete 386, CM871- factory 600HP, 13spd, 3:55 rears, currently it is in OKlahoma.

That truck is a money maker .. I get a strong sense of your guests having had in their past, no idea how to own and operate that truck long term. They took advantage of the fact it was not nearly as old or run down when they ran it.. and then expected it to always perform like that .. It is a pipe dream. Sounds like they dug their own hole in their lack of education towards proper truck ownership, and then perpetuated it onto the others they "rented" the thing to.

They then set out to not part with it, but "rent it out" in the guise of "selling it" to someone else with rent-to-own personal agreements. That never works out either, and they are dumb if they thing for one minute they are going to find a single person who legitimately can take them up on that with honesty. -- It is only people who cannot finance thru banks and have no sensibility towards truck ownership that would even consider "renting to own" a truck form some other individual... that is ridiculous and a huge gamble for any sensible person to take on as a customer of that, nonetheless the person who is renting it out. -- IT NEVER EVER WORKS!!! --
EITHER SELL IT AND LET THE PERSON COME UP WITH THEIR OWN FINANCING TO PAY IT IN FULL -- OR GIVE THE DAMN TRUCK BACK TO THE BANK!!!! -- PERIOD!!!!!! --- They were somkin' some serious weed there... If they could not afford to keep the payments up on it, they should have turned it back in and cut their losses... Now, they are in a serious hole it sounds like, have reaped the rewards of those bad decisions.

They only have themselves to blame. Hope they learned their lessons... -- PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AS IT IS AND TELL THEM TO LET THE BANK OR FINANCE COMPANY HAVE IT BACK IF THEY ARE STILL MAKING PAYMENTS ON, OR LIST IT FOR OUTRIGHT SALE ONLY -- BEFORE THIS HOLE GETS EVEN DEEPER!.

They are sucking you into that hole with them, and your helping them is mostly going to result in perpetuating their nonsense. You may be considering "deleting" it and able to help the truck a bit, but by helping that truck, you are helping them to continue to make bad choices right along with it. - If that truck has to go back to a finance company somewhere, you, and they will regret gutting those cans. - THAT IS NOT THEIR OR YOUR DECISION TO MAKE at this point. -- Send the cans to the stealers#it for baking, de-ash, and testing... put em back on,.. and clear the codes, make sure it runs ok like it is if your trying to help them a bit in a friendly way... but wash your hands in the rest for their, and your own good!. -- By no means should you take a hammer to those DPF elements.

-- I WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER GUTTING THE DPF until after the next guy actually owns it and it is clear of your friends possession and plight. ... It would have to be that persons decisions ... and talk to that person instead if you really care about the truck and its fate ... that is what needs to happen.

- Just my opinion/perspective as an outsider to what has been posted so far, as harsh as it is ... no one has to agree.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's