Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Chopped tires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just bought this truck(05' 9300, 670,000) seems both tires on each side of rear axles have inside wear....going to retorque wheel bearings and clean rim mounting surfaces....could this truck rear suspension be due to be rebushed?
Wheel bearing re-torque is required every 250k miles on most all trucks, yet hardly anyone ever bothers with it until they get problems.

It is likely Wheel bearings not torqued/set properly and severely neglected.

It is also likely then that the rest of all the systems on the truck are just as neglected. Things like power steering filter and fluid changes, engine tune-up related items, shock replacements, Air-dryer canister replacements, etc.etc.etc.
Yup, that's bearing wear and looks like some under inflation on some of the tires. Replace the rear torsion bars to if they look like the rubber is moving in the ends.
How do seals hold if wheel bearings are this bad. National seals won’t hold unless everything is perfect. What would play have to be to do this. Are we talking a couple thousands? I have seen one lip seals like stemco that would handle more play than that but. Looks pretty extreme tire wear.
Looks like alignment to me. I just made my own laser alignment tool Kinda like md alignment. They say to set the rears a half inch out of straight to counter the road slope. ( half inch measured at the front tire) they also say no positive castor at front right tire. I have a different idea then most alignment shops that I know of so I made my own way. Laser alignment shops with there fancy “it’s in spec.” Print outs could create this wear. What does the front tires look like.
I had my tires wearing like that soon after purchasing my ProStar, it was the pin bushings and torque rods, replaced, aligned and no issues since.
Ok...I have replaced the torque rods....replaced all the wheel bearings, seals ect. How do you test for worn eye bushings...visually they look pretty good...want to be sure before I put new drives on for the winter...

Also on 3 of the leaf springs the lowest leaf makes a clinking/ rattling noise going over bumps....It must be common because I've heard the same noise from other international trucks like this one.
(08-25-2020 )Magard Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like alignment to me. I just made my own laser alignment tool Kinda like md alignment. They say to set the rears a half inch out of straight to counter the road slope. ( half inch measured at the front tire) they also say no positive castor at front right tire. I have a different idea then most alignment shops that I know of so I made my own way. Laser alignment shops with there fancy “it’s in spec.” Print outs could create this wear. What does the front tires look like.
Have had MD's set up for years. I think it works well. Mike and Kevin are very helpful when needed. They preach from the same gospels of bearing adjustment and tire inflation. I no longer sell "alignments". Sell an inspection instead. Usually nobody calls until there is a problem. Tire wear, handling etc. So we go over the vehicle, king pins, suspension bushings, drag links, king pins, drive line. Take all the measurements. Look in the tire book if we need to. Then from there we talk to the customer. Have had to many trucks roll in with some or all of the above wrong.

They do talk about one other cause of inboard (nearest the frame) tire wear they have come across on some tractors and even trailers. In the never ending quest for lighter weight trucks axle housing wall thickness was reduced on some models. This let the axles bow or wear. I do know of one drive axle in particular where that occurred. All of a sudden we had springs wearing thru the top of the housing on single axle packers. Everything tight and torqued to spec. Never noticed much in the way of tire wear because the tires got beat to death in normal operation.

Some research revealed that the wall thickness had been reduced. No notification from the OE. Model #'s never changed. In the fine print the spec did change. Eventually an option code came out for a heavier wall than the original and included a torque arm from the top of the diff to a crossmember. Also came with 31K springs. No problems after that. These single axle rear loaders rarely grossed over 43K on their way to the landfill.
(10-10-2020 )Daytripper Wrote: [ -> ]Ok...I have replaced the torque rods....replaced all the wheel bearings, seals ect. How do you test for worn eye bushings...visually they look pretty good...want to be sure before I put new drives on for the winter...

Also on 3 of the leaf springs the lowest leaf makes a clinking/ rattling noise going over bumps....It must be common because I've heard the same noise from other international trucks like this one.
Post last 8 of your VIN. I think there is a kit for that depending on specific suspension. I can probably find the part number somewhere in my archives.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's