Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Oil leak, between flywheel housing and block
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all. I have a Volvo with a CM2250, 789K, and have recently noticed oil leaking on the passenger side between the flywheel housing and the block. I cannot see for sure where it is originating so after my next load I am going to pull the dog house and try to get a better view from the top to make damn sure that is where it is coming from before I pull the tranny.

Anyone who has replaced this gasket on an 871, 2250, or 2350, please share any tips, tricks or pics, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, any danger in running it for a bit longer and just monitoring oil level like a hawk, until a more convenient time?

Thanks in advance!!
Mine has been seeping for a couple years...loses about half a gallon in 20k miles. There was a thread on here where someone found cracks in their housing once pulled...oh and have it surfaced to ensure flatness once you do it.

Found the post....
https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?pid=42295
Thanks Nilao, so yours is still leaking? Take the housing to a machine shop for surfacing right?
(09-10-2020 )JMBT Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Nilao, so yours is still leaking? Take the housing to a machine shop for surfacing right?
Yah...mine still leaks. I wanted all the gaskets replaced while the trans was out for a clutch...guess that one was overlooked. Machine shop should be able to surface it.

Found hammerheads post on replacing his as well....

https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2562
It won't cause any problems at all if you just keep washing it until the clutch or gearbox need to be removed.

I usually hit the sealing face of these housings with an orbital sander then clean and reassemble it with a light coat of Permatex Aviation Sealant on both sides of the gasket.

*Make sure the oil leak isn't coming from the rear cam plate or the head gasket first*
If you are in there, may be a good time to replace that main rear seal too...
(09-10-2020 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]If you are in there, may be a good time to replace that main rear seal too...

and motor mounts, etc.etc.. everything you can get to while the tranny is out.
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the input. I’ll let you know what I find when I pull the doghouse after this load!
I second what signature620 said if you havent replaced clutch in a while and its not leaking really bad Id wait til clutch is needed and do it all at one time... Not a hard job just labor .... We drop trans, oil pan and starter, support engine remove motor mounts, remove starter,clutch, flywheel and rear flywheel housing bolts... Search quick serve for tighten specs the order and torque....
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's