Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Main bearings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I removed my new main bearings from packaging and measured them with calipers. I left small scratches where the calipers were place should I junk them or still use them . I did some research on service bulletin they indicated that they have several layers of metal.
I think your good. We used to take a grey scotch brite pad and polish new bearings to help with break in
(09-12-2020 )redbeard Wrote: [ -> ]I think your good. We used to take a grey scotch brite pad and polish new bearings to help with break in
Bearings don’t need break in. Only piston rings
Tks red beard. I know now to use a ball tip Micrometer for next . I tku Rawze for your platform.
(09-12-2020 )redbeard Wrote: [ -> ]I think your good. We used to take a grey scotch brite pad and polish new bearings to help with break in

I am hoping your referring to some older type of engine of days gone past that was known for improper fit bearings or something.

On an ISX, the proper main/rod bearing clearance is 0.002" - 0.004" ... I would hope someone would not take a scotch-brite pad to one unless it was to achieve the right clearances, and had plastigauged everything before hand to ensure they needed to do such a drastic thing.
When we in framed my truck in "The Master's" driveway, we treated those bearings with kid gloves, and lotsa Slick Lube... Just saying.
Bearing looks like its been bouncin around in a truck tool box for a week.
Reference URL's