Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: cm570 ecm replacment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(11-30-2020 )DaveCampbell Wrote: [ -> ]$2600 on ebay. Seems like that is more for a repair shop, not a guy that has 2 trucks. I think it would be a long time before I saved that back doing my own 2 trucks.
{link removed}

that is a complete rip-off!,.

inline and insite7 should be a few hundred bucks at most.
Im wanting to find the difference between 2 cpl numbers, 2628 and 2629 , can anyone tell me how I could go about doing that? Cummins will not turn it up to 2000 rpm, but if I can move to cpl 2629 it looks like I'd have it.
(12-01-2020 )DaveCampbell Wrote: [ -> ]Im wanting to find the difference between 2 cpl numbers, 2628 and 2629 , can anyone tell me how I could go about doing that? Cummins will not turn it up to 2000 rpm, but if I can move to cpl 2629 it looks like I'd have it.

I compared a 2628 file ( N11586 450HP, 1650_ft-lbs) with a 2629 file ( program N11050 475hp,1650_ft-lbs.). Aside from the power/torque overall settings, here is what is seen when comparing all 3900+ settings in the calibrations ...

* The 2629 file has a bit less aggressive timing advance, allowing for better protections due to the higher HP rating at likely a slight cost in fuel efficiency.

* Overall injection timing though is more advanced in the 2629, allowing for slightly better efficiency while going down the roadways in a steady state.

* The 2629 has a slightly more aggressive throttle pedal response set in place.

* The 2629 program allows for more fuel (slightly richer fuel-air-mix) and does not run the engine as leaned out as the 2628 program does.

* Half a degree of base injection timing has been added to the 2629 program to help accommodate the richer fuel mix, likely so that it will still pass emissions checks.

* Cylinder pressure compensation is slightly different below 1150 rpm but is identical above this point. Hopefully you don't drive the thing under loads at that low of an rpm, it is bad for any ISX to be lugged like that, so this should not make much difference during normal operations.

* Severe Engine protection for coolant temp is at 289-F in the 2629 program vs. 284-F in the 2628 program.

* The 2629 program is designed for slightly different injectors... Sometimes this makes the programs incompatible, but in this case, they are extremely close... only very minor tweaks. - This could throw off the power of torque slightly, but not significantly in this case. Most of the changes are also in only the mid-band of engine operations, meaning under full operating load where it counts the most, the settings are essentially identical.

* Governed speed/rpm in the 2628 program is capped at 1800 RPM where it is capped at 2000 rpm in the 2629 program.

* There are also some slight variances in injection timing to fuel conversions for the different style injectors. This could be an issue at high HP ratings like say, 500+HP, but at only 475HP, it is still in the ball-park and is not going to be harmful, though it is not perfect.

* Cruise control is slightly more agressive in the 2629 program. This could cost someone more fuel consumption over time during cruise control but is not harmful otherwise.

* Engine brake torque estimation is slightly different. this should not effect actual engine braking strength though.

* Acceleration noise control (limiter) is less aggressive in the 2629 program.

* The programmed fueling to power curve is better defined in the 2629 program. this should allow for a slightly better response overall.

* The CAC / truck Charge air cooler, intake, and exhaust estimations are for a bigger front end in the 2629 program. This could lead to some slight to medium efficiency or fuel milage issues. The 2629 is clearly for a different style of truck.

* Injection timing vs. environment temperature is more aggressive in the 2629 program (as part of the different injector style compensation). This could lead to some inefficiencies compared to the 2628 program in very cold or hot climates.

* Injection timing vs. coolant temperature is more aggressive in the 2629 program (as part of the different injector style compensation). This could also lead to some inefficiencies compared to the 2628 program depending on coolant temps and how hard the truck is worked.

* Injection timing vs. Intake manifold temperature is more aggressive in the 2629 program (as part of the different injector style compensation). This could also lead to some inefficiencies compared to the 2628 program depending on coolant temps and how hard the truck is worked.

* BOTH of these calibrations (and all other CM570 programs that are still available ) have been updated to uphold the newer 2015 emissions requirements and programming changes imposed on these old engines by EPA. If your original programming calibration number starts with an N10***.** instead of these newer N11***.** numbers then is it a program made before this happened. Just something to also consider if the engine has its original programming and someone goes to flash it with something different.

==============

Overall, there are some differences. - It is not perfect by any means, and the trade-offs may very well be that overall, you get some efficiency losses or other minor to medium problems as a result of running the program in a truck/engine not designed specifically for the 2629 program. - At least now you have been properly informed of exactly the differences when comparing factory program to factory program as a whole across the 2 cpl's. - Personally, i would not recommend jumping cpl just for the rpm gains but that is just me. Will it be outright harmful? -- There is nothing indicating that it is going to kill the engine, but this will certainly not match up as perfectly as they should. How much of an effect this is would be effected by how its driven and the environment is it running in.

- That is what i see at a glance. Just because the cpl numbers are only one digit off... does not mean they are close enough to be interchangeable. I think too many people take this for granted because they have no way of knowing what is actually different due to the fact that Insite/Incal does not reveal whatsoever what is actually going on in a particular program vs another.
Ive been running the cpl 2629 ecm and it went out on me this weekend. I need to buy another one.
Your ECM is not specific to any CPL. You can put any ISX program you want in an ISX ECM. You need to make sure whatever program your using is compatible with your CPL but other than that all ECM's are the same for each model ISX.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's