Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: No boost in first few gears
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a CM870 that sometimes starting off will shutter and pour black smoke in the first 4 gears and then takes off and runs normal. Most of the time it takes off normal and other times it messes up. Replaced the electronic and air actuators to turbo but no change. The way it shutters it seems like an electronic or timing issue?
maybe disconnect the air actuator and see if the turbo arm is hanging up?.
I put a new one on and checked to make sure nothing was hanging up on the turbo but still doing it. Any way the fuel cut off could be bad?
Is the electronic actuator a genuine cummins ? The cheap aftermarket remans are usually junk.
all cummins parts and then i ran the fan while i idle and through the lower gears and it stopped doing it. Air to turbo control is straight off tank with nothing else attached. only thing i can think is belt slipping on water pump and turbo getting to hot.
Running the fan means your not using air. May want to check fan hub make sure its not leaking could be its robbing air from air valve to turbo...
(02-11-2021 )Mr Hagg Wrote: [ -> ]Running the fan means your not using air. May want to check fan hub make sure its not leaking could be its robbing air from air valve to turbo...

air is isolated with 3/8 airline strait from tank to control valve. That tank is always over 100psi.
I think you said you replaced the electronic actuator and the air actuator, maybe one is defective?? put a gopro under the hood and go for a drive, see if the action looks erratic??
Is this the same engine you've posted about previously with low boost problems? Is it the same engine you swapped out of an international and put in a Volvo? Did you have the programming checked by an if the pro's from here? Have you physically checked the turbo itself and the armature for the VG ring? Does it move smoothly (a little squeaky movement is okay) with out any hang ups?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's