Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: What is the pyrometer used for?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that it is good for knowing when the turbo has cooled down enough to shut the engine off but besides that what else is it good for?
It’s good for making sure you aren’t cooking everything, like the turbo, manifold, head,…etc., with too much heat when you are working the motor hard.

Also, knowing when to downshift on a hill, (even if the motor sounds good and is pulling fine in the proper rpm range, sometimes dropping a gear will bring the exhaust temp down by making the work load on the engine less)

Add in what you said about cooling off before shut down and it makes it a very useful tool for increasing the longevity of the motor!
If your engine is demandated, the ecm can no longer keep exhaust gas temperatures in check so you need a way to keep an eye on it. If Temps start getting to high you back off the throttle/downshift.

They are also very handy for troubleshooting things like exhaust restrictions and catching leaky doser injectors before they melt down your doc/dpf and cook your turbo.
(10-18-2021 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]If your engine is demandated, the ecm can no longer keep exhaust gas temperatures in check so you need a way to keep an eye on it. If Temps start getting to high you back off the throttle/downshift.

They are also very handy for troubleshooting things like exhaust restrictions and catching leaky doser injectors before they melt down your doc/dpf and cook your turbo.

What I have is an 04’ cm870 with EGR.Is it worth having one if it’s not demandated?
It’s totally up to you it’s simply personal preference. Myself I bought a Boost, Pyro, oil temp and trans temp gauge when I first bought my truck and it was mandated because I didn’t have those gauges and couldn’t monitor my trucks status.
(10-18-2021 )Redland1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2021 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]If your engine is demandated, the ecm can no longer keep exhaust gas temperatures in check so you need a way to keep an eye on it. If Temps start getting to high you back off the throttle/downshift.

What I have is an 04’ cm870 with EGR.Is it worth having one if it’s not demandated?

I certainly would, it helps with troubleshooting. An 04 would be a cm570 wouldn't it?
Personal opinion is no turbo diesel should be without a pyrometer. Especially these newer ones that are DM'd
Reference URL's