Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: CM870 to CM871 Conversion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone. Just got my registration code 30 min ago and I’m glad to be here. I have been in trucking since 2008 but I got out of it for a while when my boys were younger. I recently got back in a truck doing local deliveries and the bug has hit once again. I am going to buy my first truck very soon and wanted to get some info/opinions on what I want. I will be pulling dry vans at 80k and under and I don’t have any desire to go to California. I have a special place in my heart for the International 9400. It was the first truck I went on the road in and it has been my favorite to this day of all of them I have driven. I have been reading on this forum and watching Rawze on YouTube for 3 weeks straight. I really want to buy a $10-12k truck and go through it so I know what is in it. I know I want a demandated CM871, 13 speed, and 3.55-3.79 gears. The problem is I don’t know if International put the 871 in any of the 07 9400 trucks hence the title of this thread. I live in north Alabama so getting to Mr Hagg in GA is no problem. I’m 2 hours away max. There are plenty of 870 9400s out there. I know I read somewhere that Running rough has done this conversion. I am buying a truck knowing that I will be putting $30k+ into the engine immediately so I am not too worried about the additional cost of the conversion compared to just doing the 870. What is involved in doing this? I know the turbo and ecm. Would i have to get a complete 871 or would I use the 870 and get the additional parts? I should have about 60k to put into the truck. I will be buying a laptop, inline6, and insight. I already have lots of tools but I will get any additional tools I will need. I understand that I will be giving up a little fuel economy with this truck vs a Prostar but at least it is semi aerodynamic lol. I’m not completely opposed to a Prostar but if I’m doing this and putting up the cash I want to get what I want. I’m sure I have forgotten something and I’m sorry if I’m scattered all over the place but I’ve never been know for my writing skills lol. Thanks y’all.
Or I guess another question would be what would I be giving up sticking with the 870 instead of the 871 as far as mpg or reliability?
just my observations/opinions on this subject ...

Aside from the emissions systems and emissions hardware, ... The only real differences between an 870 and 871 is the air operated turbo vs. an electronic one. The electronic one is far superior, has better low-end response, .. but at the same time, that better low-end response is also what generally makes the 871's have roughly 100k less miles before on them before an inframe is needed. The ISX does not like that extra snappy low-end torque that the electronic VG turbo's are capable of making. It shows clearly that it is hard on the engine internals. Progressively over the years, they keep pushing this low-end torque crap onto them without any re-design of the bottom end to deal with this properly, and the engine life has gotten shorter and shorter on them as a reflection of this.
Thanks Rawze and thanks for all you do. Would those differences apply to the 570 also? Emissions (or lack of) and turbo?
(12-23-2021 )RAAK Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Rawze and thanks for all you do. Would those differences apply to the 570 also? Emissions (or lack of) and turbo?

the VG (especially the electronic one) turbo is superior in efficiency every way. I would not want to own a truck without one. This also means though that it can be programmed to have less low-end response if someone wanted to, to help engine longevity, but no one seems to want that these days. It seems that most ppl any more want to feel their engine pull its guts out, in the seat of their pants, like some kind of fool, from a dead stop. - Who knew that "how strong it takes off" was far more important that engine longevity in trucking for most of these fools .. eh?. Must be nice for these same people to have the $$$25,000 laying around to spend 2x as often as necessary, just so their truck can take off a bit better at a traffic light.
I agree completely. In fact I’m sitting beside one of those drivers right now. My co driver refuses to let me drive bc I drive too slow. This poor cascadia wont last long. I would be lying if I said I didn’t like the power but using it wisely is the key. I’m not far from you so I hope to meet you soon and drink a beer.
Reference URL's