Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: DD15 Oil Consumption
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of Detroit DD15 advice. I recently had an inframe done on my 2013 Freightliner Coronado. Has a demandated DD15 at 560HP that had 1.3 million km on it. We did all Detroit parts, pistons, liners, new cylinder head, injectors, turbo, rad. The shop ran it on a dyno after the rebuild to check it out and make sure everything was good, and start the break in. We changed the oil after 80 hours, it used about 2 liters in that period. The next period we did 200 hours as per the rebuilder, and it used about the same 2-3 liters in that period. Oil sample came back good.

The next 200 hour period the engine used 20 liters of oil, oil sample still showed no issues.

the next 200 hour period, it used approx 25 liters of oil, but i haven't received oil sample results yet.
we have 75 hours on this oil change, and its already used about 16 liters, so it appears to be getting worse. so in total it has about 750 hours on it since the overhaul, but the oil usage seems to be getting slightly worse.

This morning i pulled the turbo outlet to see if anything was gettting into the CAC, but its clean and dry. I pulled off the exhaust side to see if there was anything obvious there, but it seemed ok as well, just some carbon. i don't know if there's anything else i can check, or if it needs to go back to the rebuilder? Could the piston rings have lined up somehow after 300 hours to cause this oil consumption? The shop is about 14 hours away, so I'm trying to determine the cause before i have to take it back. I did a relative compression test with my laptop and it showed no issues. What else should i check?
5 gallons of oil in 10k miles is ridiculously bad.. something is very wrong with that engine if it is consuming that much.
Any oil leaking or traces at/in your exhaust after the Axial Turbine? There is a seal on the shaft that can leak behind that turbine as its geared to the gear train in the rear of the engine. It isn't very common but they can be a pig to get sealed if its been removed for any reason such as removing rear section of exhaust manifold while assembled, however that shouldn't involve any disturbance of the internal seals.

I would assume the head came off with manifold and EGR cooler + housing still installed as is proper, if not that assembly will have been removed.
Ive built alot of engines for the company I work for most of them being the old DT466's and the newer maxxforce I have never had 1 use that much oil on a break in,
Even the DT's didnt and there piston to wall clearance is about the space of cardboard almost
(01-18-2022 )Colter Wrote: [ -> ]Any oil leaking or traces at/in your exhaust after the Axial Turbine? There is a seal on the shaft that can leak behind that turbine as its geared to the gear train in the rear of the engine. It isn't very common but they can be a pig to get sealed if its been removed for any reason such as removing rear section of exhaust manifold while assembled, however that shouldn't involve any disturbance of the internal seals.

I would assume the head came off with manifold and EGR cooler + housing still installed as is proper, if not that assembly will have been removed.

they installed a new exhaust manifold, as the old one was cracked. So i'm assuming that the Axial Turbine would have been removed for that? I didn't take the pipe apart behind the APT to check for oil there, but maybe I should attempt to get the S pipe off between there and the 1-box
(01-18-2022 )tsolson Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2022 )Colter Wrote: [ -> ]Any oil leaking or traces at/in your exhaust after the Axial Turbine? There is a seal on the shaft that can leak behind that turbine as its geared to the gear train in the rear of the engine. It isn't very common but they can be a pig to get sealed if its been removed for any reason such as removing rear section of exhaust manifold while assembled, however that shouldn't involve any disturbance of the internal seals.

they installed a new exhaust manifold, as the old one was cracked. So i'm assuming that the Axial Turbine would have been removed for that? I didn't take the pipe apart behind the APT to check for oil there, but maybe I should attempt to get the S pipe off between there and the 1-box

It would depend on if they installed it before the head was back on, it's also doable if the manifold is in sections but there is no way to torque all the bolts. The most sensible way would be to install it prior to head install and even if they did pull the turbine they wouldn't have anything apart internally. I would pull you exhaust and check either way, that's a huge amount of oil to go missing without any rear symptoms. Something is going wrong somewhere.
What would concern me just as much, is the "delete".. not too many people on this planet that can even get one somewhat close.. nonetheless halfway right without the engine eating its own guts out.

and why was the exhaust manifold cracked? . That does not sound right either.
(01-19-2022 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]What would concern me just as much, is the "delete".. not too many people on this planet that can even get one somewhat close.. nonetheless halfway right without the engine eating its own guts out.

I bought the truck out of BC, it was a repo and deleted when I bought it. I don't know who did the work, but I suspect it wasn't good. The turbo and exhaust manifold were junk because it was making too much heat, as I've learned from this forum, is a classic junk delete symptom. The rebuilder put it on the dyno after they finished the overhaul, and they advised that the programming was no good. They reprogrammed it, and installed a pyro, and it runs much cooler now. I never see the exhaust temps much over 500F. mostly 400-500. The manifold and turbo show no signs of overheating now.

I've had Uni and Mommaburt do some work on my other DD15's but I assume they're no longer available. I know this is a Cummins forum, but is there anyone else on here that could look at the programming for me? I do have Detroit software and Neqix adapter. Uni said there was some other equipment i needed to pull the file for him to look at? I can't remember what he called it. I'd like to have it checked out before I tear up my Expensive rebuild. I don't totally trust the programming, just because i think it was from Diesel Sp** and I don't think Rawze is a big fan of theirs either. And i know better than to say, "But the engine is running so good"!!! lol. I appreciate the knowledge here, and all the guys willing to help out.
(01-20-2022 )tsolson Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2022 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]What would concern me just as much, is the "delete".. not too many people on this planet that can even get one somewhat close.. nonetheless halfway right without the engine eating its own guts out.

I bought the truck out of BC, it was a repo and deleted when I bought it. I don't know who did the work, but I suspect it wasn't good. The turbo and exhaust manifold were junk because it was making too much heat, as I've learned from this forum, is a classic junk delete symptom. The rebuilder put it on the dyno after they finished the overhaul, and they advised that the programming was no good. They reprogrammed it, and installed a pyro, and it runs much cooler now. I never see the exhaust temps much over 500F. mostly 400-500. The manifold and turbo show no signs of overheating now.

I've had Uni and Mommaburt do some work on my other DD15's but I assume they're no longer available. I know this is a Cummins forum, but is there anyone else on here that could look at the programming for me? I do have Detroit software and Neqix adapter. Uni said there was some other equipment i needed to pull the file for him to look at? I can't remember what he called it. I'd like to have it checked out before I tear up my Expensive rebuild. I don't totally trust the programming, just because i think it was from Diesel Sp** and I don't think Rawze is a big fan of theirs either. And i know better than to say, "But the engine is running so good"!!! lol. I appreciate the knowledge here, and all the guys willing to help out.

maybe try to get a hold of one of them.. otherwise, I have no advice for ya on detroits.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's