Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Regeneration problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone, I have cm871 with 707k miles I started to have regeneration problems only on the park regen on Friday it ask me for the park regeneration it started just fine and after 15mins during the regen process it cut off by it self, so I do not have my insite yet but a friend of mine let me borrow his, and today I check my regen history and it looked terrible it's up in the 4's 5's and i try to perform the forced regen and i got a message on insite that "the ecm aftertreatment trap it's not letting perform that option" so i didt let me do a forced regen,last week I perform the egr tune up clean everything and all of the sensors except dpf one I didn't changed that one i also inspected the tubes on the dpf and they where clear the dozer injector I check it for leaks and it was good so my question is do i need a new dpf filter? So far this year I sent that filter to get cooked twice, also the last code I had on the ECM was dpf face plugged.
Thanks in advance.
When I was getting face plug codes it was a dpf that was full of ash. Supposedly it had been cleaned 59k miles before I purchased it. I removed the mandate otherwise I'd have been replacing it to the tune of $2,000. I think you're at that point. Remove the mandate or purchase a new (not cleaned) filter.
The EGr tune-up is a good start, but with 700k miles on it, you could be looking more along the lines of EGR valve, washed-out DOC filter (no more platinum), or ash/soot packed DPF can, worn out turbocharger, and a lot of other things that are just enough of wear to keep the system complaining non-stop.

Sometimes when the emissions system faults out, you have to perform a "Maintenence Reset" to get it to regen again.

It also sounds like it had some fault that caused the regen to shut down. You should have taken a picture with your phone and posted the errors that it reported.
(08-29-2016 )RTRUCKING48 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone, I have cm871 with 707k miles I started to have regeneration problems only on the park regen on Friday it ask me for the park regeneration it started just fine and after 15mins during the regen process it cut off by it self, so I do not have my insite yet but a friend of mine let me borrow his, and today I check my regen history and it looked terrible it's up in the 4's 5's and i try to perform the forced regen and i got a message on insite that "the ecm aftertreatment trap it's not letting perform that option" so i didt let me do a forced regen,last week I perform the egr tune up clean everything and all of the sensors except dpf one I didn't changed that one i also inspected the tubes on the dpf and they where clear the dozer injector I check it for leaks and it was good so my question is do i need a new dpf filter? So far this year I sent that filter to get cooked twice, also the last code I had on the ECM was dpf face plugged.
Thanks in advance.

That is right about when I lost my DPF and DOC, 700,000 miles. The DPF was cracked and Cummins wanted $7000 to replace... I went with the mandate removal as the issues were coming at me one after the other and the truck was not making money, even after the EGR Tuneup. If you see soot in the exhaust outlet, odds are the cans are shot and need replacing. And one thing, the issues you are having with the mandate are more than likely masking many other problems you do not even know about, at least that was my case.
(08-29-2016 )Nilao Wrote: [ -> ]When I was getting face plug codes it was a dpf that was full of ash. Supposedly it had been cleaned 59k miles before I purchased it. I removed the mandate otherwise I'd have been replacing it to the tune of $2,000. I think you're at that point. Remove the mandate or purchase a new (not cleaned) filter.
That's what I was thinking remove the mandate asap
(08-29-2016 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]The EGr tune-up is a good start, but with 700k miles on it, you could be looking more along the lines of EGR valve, washed-out DOC filter (no more platinum), or ash/soot packed DPF can, worn out turbocharger, and a lot of other things that are just enough of wear to keep the system complaining non-stop.

Sometimes when the emissions system faults out, you have to perform a "Maintenence Reset" to get it to regen again.

It also sounds like it had some fault that caused the regen to shut down. You should have taken a picture with your phone and posted the errors that it reported.
It could be the egr valve I took that one off also and inspected and clean it and at some point that egr valve it's been replaced its not the red original color of the engine the turbo that one it is the original never been replaced but I check the turbine in front and back and moves freely and the little leg where actuator goes moves freely and it with no hessitation and actuator I calibrated that one too and it didn't show any play on the gear,at at idle it was at 70-72% but I will take a picture today of the codes to post em here I'm looking to replaced the turbo anyways because of those miles any day could fail, I will do the maintenance reset today and see what it does thanks for your help i will keep you posted on those codes
(data was lost)
It's tough to bring them back after the soot has done it's damage for that many miles. Removing the mandate basically will freeze the truck engine in time. The damage is already done but it will buy you some time before the inframe anyways. Good luck.
It never ends... My parts just came in, hopefully be up and running by Wednesday... Never have I experienced so many issues with one truck. Just a few more items to replace, and it is virtually new mechanically.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's