Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Coolant returning to surge tank continuously
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it normal for coolant to return to the surge tank continuously? I replaced a few coolant hoses and when I started the truck up I took the cap off the surge tank just in case I needed to top it off.Noticed that there was a steady stream coming into the surge tank and I don’t know if it is normal because it’s the first time I open it while the truck is running.Truck is a 2003 International 9900i with ISX.Or could I have routed the hoses wrong?
Yea it circulates constantly. If you value your engine you'll drain that green coolant and replace with the proper red coolant that's supposed to be in an industrial diesel engine. That green stuff will eat your liners from the inside out.
(04-26-2022 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]Yea it circulates constantly. If you value your engine you'll drain that green coolant and replace with the proper red coolant that's supposed to be in an industrial diesel engine. That green stuff will eat your liners from the inside out.

I purchased the truck from an International dealer and it has the green coolant inside.I actually drained and refilled it with new coolant.I thought the difference between them was longer life? Also what’s the process to change out the coolant from green to red?
The red has supplemental coolant additives(sca's) added to it to prevent cavitation on the liners. You can use green but you have to add sca's and check the levels periodically.

To change it just drain the entire engine of coolant (take off the lower radiator hose) then to refill it with red, pull a vacuum on the system with a vacuum pump and then pull the new coolant in.

Don't just drain the system and then fill it by pouring the new stuff in without pulling a vacuum. That could result in air pockets you don't want.
(04-26-2022 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]The red has supplemental coolant additives(sca's) added to it to prevent cavitation on the liners. You can use green but you have to add sca's and check the levels periodically.

To change it just drain the entire engine of coolant (take off the lower radiator hose) then to refill it with red, pull a vacuum on the system with a vacuum pump and then pull the new coolant in.

Don't just drain the system and then fill it by pouring the new stuff in without pulling a vacuum. That could result in air pockets you don't want.

The last time I dumped the old green coolant I just refilled it,but I did leave the surge tank cap open till the thermostat opened and kept adding coolant to it as the coolant level in the tank dropped.What type of vacuum pump is needed and where does it hook up to it.
This is what I use, buy it off Rawze's list if you're gonna buy one from Amazon.

UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRH5G/ref...HD9EWQADE3
(04-26-2022 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]This is what I use, buy it off Rawze's list if you're gonna buy one from Amazon.

UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRH5G/ref...HD9EWQADE3

Thanks! I replaced the coolant six months ago and did add in a bottle of SCA.Do you think I should replace it already with the Red coolant or wait and just keep checking and adding SCA when needed?
(04-26-2022 )Redland1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2022 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]This is what I use, buy it off Rawze's list if you're gonna buy one from Amazon.

Thanks! I replaced the coolant six months ago and did add in a bottle of SCA.Do you think I should replace it already with the Red coolant or wait and just keep checking and adding SCA when needed?

If it were mine and i saw green coolant in there, I would...

If its already in there then just do proper testing (at each oil change) + add nitrates as necessary on the green to ensure it does not degrade. Then in 2 years or so max, or next the time you have to drain the coolant ... that would be the time to switch over.
(04-26-2022 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2022 )Redland1 Wrote: [ -> ]

If it were mine and i saw green coolant in there, I would...

If its already in there then just do proper testing (at each oil change) + add nitrates as necessary on the green to ensure it does not degrade. Then in 2 years or so max, or next the time you have to drain the coolant ... that would be the time to switch over.
Since I’m going from green to red do I need to add distilled water in between to flush out the system and then red?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's