Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Injector Solenoid Driver Cylinder 1 Mechanical System Not Responding or Out of Adjust
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I've gotten myself into quite the pickle. I will lay out the timeline of events below...

Fault Code 1139 (See Thread Subject Explanation)

- Total times active 7
- Will go inactive after a short time
- The amber engine light cleared itself without assistance once and returned 30 minutes later

Timeline

- May 24 the truck was de-mandated. I was told it would be a "full de-mandate."

- Immediately after picking up the truck I noticed the fuel economy was much lower than normal.

- I contacted the shop and was told this was normal. The problem will fix itself in 2-3 weeks.

- The problem obviously didn't fix itself in 3 weeks. I decided to perform an overhead adjustment, as it was do anyhow. I thought maybe it would help a little with the fuel economy issue.

- Overhead adjustment was performed on June 13.

- Fuel economy still poor. I have now gotten the first 1139 fault code after overhead adjustment.

- Contacted shop and my local Pete dealer. Peterbilt advised I "go for the kill" and replace the number 1 injector to save time and money on troubleshooting. They knew I recently de-mandated the truck.

- First shop replaced the number 1 injector on June 17. This was after the truck failed a fuel injector test performed by the same shop.

- The shop ended up breaking the threaded connector on the harness going to the number 1 injector and replaced the harness with a used one they had on hand.

- The fuel economy is still poor and fault code 1139 has returned after these repairs.

- The shop claimed I bought a junk injector from Peterbilt. I bought a new Cummins brand injector. They did no troubleshooting to come to this conclusion. This was an over the phone conversation.

- Decided to try another shop.

- On June 29 the second shop has completed repairs. They stated the first shop did not remove the DOC and this was 100% related to my fuel economy issues and my fuel economy should greatly improve. It did not. I was also told upon checking the ECM they couldn't find anything wrong with the tune, "it looked clean."

- Upon payment for repair services I was told a different story. That the tune was bad and they had to do another full de-mandate. I was told the tune was trash. 2 different stories from 2 different people at the same shop. I was also informed my truck passed the injector testing the first shop had previously done and failed.

- July 1 code 1139 is back and fuel economy is still just as awful as day one. I still have all original symptoms. The only thing that appears to have been done at the second shop was drill out the DOC.

I am waiting for July 5th to roll around to get my truck back into the shop. I have been searching the internet to try and find answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What make/model truck?
What make/model engine? maybe post engine ser#?.

How many miles?.

Can't answer any questions if I don't know what engine you are referring to.

also...

If it is demandated.. it is priority to get the program properly reviewed to ensure you did not go from one bad program to another .. because more than 90% of all demandate programming out there is horrible + harmful to the engine in one way or another. Copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for e proper review so that you know exactly what you have there.

also...
Will it still pass a rail leak-down test?... what is the leakage rate in one minute?.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid69262

Also...
Injector faults aside .. Has anyone bothered to pull the fuel pump apart and see if it needs its guts changed out?... how many miles on the engine?.. how many miles on the fuel puimp?.

It does not do much good to replace expensive injectors and guessing at it. Checking the fule pump and ensuring the engine will pass a rail leak test with flying colors is what needs to happen first.

Also... Has anyone bothered to swap injector #1 (and its matching quell-tube) with another injector to see if the issue follows the injecctor?.. or were they just blind.man guessing it >?.

you mentioned the DOC element not being hollowed out properly.. has anyone checked the SCR canister?.. -- ALL OF THE CANS... ALL 3 OF THEM!!! need to be hollow 100% to the bare metal + the decomp tube checked to ensure it is not plugged with dried DEF fluid after a demandate is done.
Hello Rawze,

Thank you for the reply. You've asked a lot of good questions that I know these shops didn't even consider diving into. I am shaking my head over here. I really should've just kept the truck the way it was. I will respond to your questions in order.

- Make/model: 2014 Peterbilt 579.

- Make/model engine: Recon Cummins ISX15. Serial 60837650 Date of Mfg 03/28/19. Not sure if this number is needed but I'll give it anyway DR7046-RX.

- Miles on truck 815,000.

- Miles on Recon Cummins 250,000. Miles on fuel pump I would assume to be the same as long as they didn't reuse the fuel pump from the original engine. I was told by Cummins over the phone it was a FULL recon. I have the original and recon engine build sheets in the truck. It's parked an hour and a half away from the house. I'll make a trip and go get it. In the list of updates on the build sheet it did not mention the fuel pump being updated. Pistons and rings were mentioned to have been updated in the recon build.

- I would definitely like to get the program reviewed properly. I'll get a copy of the program off the ECM as soon as possible.

- I clicked on the link you provided and I didn't have permission to view. The only test I am aware of anyone performing was an injector test. It made the truck ramp up RPMs and drop them quickly and repeatedly. There were six parts to the test (I am guessing injector count) and 4 tests to each of the six. Injector 1 initially passed. When the test got to the first and second parts of test 3, injector 1 started to fail consistently moving forward. I hope that was helpful. I will try and get the name of that test and let you know. No one mentioned a "rail leak-down" test being done.

- No one has bothered pulling the fuel pump apart. The second shop said if my problems persisted then they would dive into the fuel pump. I personally think it must have something to do with the programming, since the first time I noticed the fuel economy being off was immediately upon receiving my truck the first time from the first shop. However, I am certainly no expert in the matter and just going off my gut. I could very well be 100% incorrect. If the ceramic rods are present in the older fuel pump then maybe this is all just terrible timing. We shall see moving forward.

- Unfortunately, I didn't get that advice to start. I wish I had. Peterbilt advised changing the injector would save time and money on troubleshooting and solve my problem for sure. Wonderful advice there. No one bothered to change the injector and matching quell-tube with another. They simply replaced the injector and quell-tube (unsure if even programmed properly) and called it good.

- I need to have the shop check the SCR and make sure. They didn't mention the SCR but then again they probably didn't bother looking. Do all sensors need to be removed from the SCR as well?

- I don't think anyone bothered checking the decomp tube.

I am grateful I was referred to this forum by an old friend. The questions asked in one reply shows far greater knowledge in the field than these folks I've been dealing with. I'm glad you're providing such a useful tool to us truck drivers.

Thanks Rawze.
I made you an established member so you can view all links on here.

All cans/exhaust components need to be 100% hollow... as free-flowing as possible.. as to not trap any heat or slow down the exhaust in any way. Any heat trapped is bad for the engine/turbo once it is demandated.

As far as the stealers$it changing injectors blindly.. well, that is what they do. They are not trained on how to solve problems but instead are commanded to throw expensive parts at your engine blindly and hope it cures it. It usually costs the truck owner a fortune to solve little to nothing by doing things that way. They also know damn well that once they put an ex$$pensive part on your truck, they have sold it to you (or to whoever is paying for the warranty repair) , because they are not about to remove it again if that did not cure anything. - They are the worst places to go to have a truck worked on, even if it was for free. They also typically do a terrible job that someone else always has to follow behind and do over again anyways.

You need to learn to grab a wrench. Invest a few hundred bucks for a data-link adapter + laptop and start taking matters into your own hands if you want to get ahead and stay on top of all your truck woes. That is how owning a truck is these days, as it is the only way to keep your moneys you make by staying away from all the ripp-off repair shops and solving your own problems.
I'm assuming it's a 2350. The bad tunes we have seen for them tend to pop an injector code and have poor mileage just like you're experiencing. When its done properly you don't have to worry about any sensors needing to be unplugged or anything like that.
(07-03-2022 )windowrattler Wrote: [ -> ]I'm assuming it's a 2350. The bad tunes we have seen for them tend to pop an injector code and have poor mileage just like you're experiencing. When its done properly you don't have to worry about any sensors needing to be unplugged or anything like that.

Yes, it is a 2350.
(07-02-2022 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]What make/model truck?
What make/model engine? maybe post engine ser#?.

How many miles?.

Can't answer any questions if I don't know what engine you are referring to.

also...

If it is demandated.. it is priority to get the program properly reviewed to ensure you did not go from one bad program to another .. because more than 90% of all demandate programming out there is horrible + harmful to the engine in one way or another. Copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for e proper review so that you know exactly what you have there.

also...
Will it still pass a rail leak-down test?... what is the leakage rate in one minute?.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid69262

Also...
Injector faults aside .. Has anyone bothered to pull the fuel pump apart and see if it needs its guts changed out?... how many miles on the engine?.. how many miles on the fuel puimp?.

It does not do much good to replace expensive injectors and guessing at it. Checking the fule pump and ensuring the engine will pass a rail leak test with flying colors is what needs to happen first.

Also... Has anyone bothered to swap injector #1 (and its matching quell-tube) with another injector to see if the issue follows the injecctor?.. or were they just blind.man guessing it >?.

you mentioned the DOC element not being hollowed out properly.. has anyone checked the SCR canister?.. -- ALL OF THE CANS... ALL 3 OF THEM!!! need to be hollow 100% to the bare metal + the decomp tube checked to ensure it is not plugged with dried DEF fluid after a demandate is done.

I sent you a PM. Please let me know if this is possible. I'm in a pretty tight spot and I need to get this right asap. Thanks.
I Was sent the program for this persons truck today... its bad to say the least. Typical hack-n-slash program that is h#ell bent on keeping it stuck in DPF warm-up mode that it cannot satisfy, torturing the pistons and injectors, the whole nine yards.

A typical "unplug everything, block all the faults from showing up and assume the ecm has magic fairy dust inside it to fix itself" kind of program that is normally only seen in those garbage pick-up truck tunes. One of those trash programs that most of those morons doing that stuffs would call a "factory delete".
Reference URL's