Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Isx shuts down while driving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Truck is a 2010 international prostar with an ISX. Has all emissions on it.

Months ago I had an incident where the engine shut down while driving. I noticed the throttle stopped responding and when I took it out of gear it shut all the way down. It started back up pretty fast, but then a few weeks later it happened again. It’s happened more and more frequently, at this point it’s every 5 minutes.

I can tell when it’s going to happen, it loses all power so I take it out of gear, wait for it to shut down and start it again while going highway speed. Otherwise i’d have to stop every 5 minutes.

Insite is showing codes for exhaust leak, which it does have, it’s so thick that when I slow down to 15 the smoke comes in through the cab A/C.

Can that exhaust be causing the shutdown? Can it be something else? Also have a water leak I need to diagnose.
What year/make/model/ engine/demandated?
Any fault codes left behind after the shutdown event?
Edited to include engine info.
this may help...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid70893

Also do a thorough EGR tune-up on it.. including cleaning out the Delta-P sensor and piping, etc. ++ ensure the exhaust back-pressure circuit is not clogged up going thru the thermostat housing.

-=== and fix the exhaust problems hat are throwing codes while your at it.

and if your getting exhaust smoke then remove and clean out the EGr valve.. pressure test the CAC.. do a turbo inspection.. and remove the DOC and DPF.. have them de-ashed, baked, and flow tested. Take pics of their faces and post them here as well.. to show any contaminants.

These engine need a of of care and attention.. they don't fix themselves.. they cannot heal, and no repair shop is going to go thru it and do tune-up work. They also cannot keep themselves clean, especially the EGR circuits, etc. ... and it sounds to me so far like yours has been seriously neglected?.
Need to look see if you have code 1117.. Been doing alot of ecm replacements lately. Did have a few that was the power feeding ecm from batteries ecm was loosing ground...
Thanks for that info I’ll take a look at the fuse/wires and the rest. I didn’t say before that it happens in a specific way. At the start of a day it won’t shut down for a half hour or so, then it starts shutting down more frequently, at a very consistent time interval. It’s also affected by how much weight I’m pulling, if I’m going uphill, or loaded heavy, those make it happen faster. That made me wonder if something is building up and causing a shutdown. Definitely not overheating because even on level ground it’ll shut down.
(10-04-2022 )Downthehaul Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that info I’ll take a look at the fuse/wires and the rest. I didn’t say before that it happens in a specific way. At the start of a day it won’t shut down for a half hour or so, then it starts shutting down more frequently, at a very consistent time interval. It’s also affected by how much weight I’m pulling, if I’m going uphill, or loaded heavy, those make it happen faster. That made me wonder if something is building up and causing a shutdown. Definitely not overheating because even on level ground it’ll shut down.

your latest description also points towards this... like mentioned above.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid70893
recap events here:
2010 prostar, isx 871 engine, still mandated tech on it.

Engine shuts off while driving, it starts happening after running for 10 minutes then happens every 2 minutes or so. I checked the wires near the battery compartment, can’t find any shorts/breaks anywhere in the electrical system.

Had dpf/doc cleaned, they’re nice and clear.

Insite showed a code for low engine oil rifle pressure. Can this be a plugged filter? I changed the oil pressure sensor just a few years ago (I only know of one oil pressure sensor, is there only one?)

The oil pressure gauge starts about 40psi when I crank it up, then it seemed to wobble down and up slowly until it got to about 20. This is from dead cold in 60 degree weather and running about 5 minutes

I’ve also had bluish/black fuel for a while now. I’ve been putting biocide in the fuel but it’s had no effect so that seems not to be the problem. Could it be oil in the fuel? Could injector cups possibly do this?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's