Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 2017 Prostar Meritor Wabco Radar Removal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have a 2017 Prostar with a damaged Meritor Wabco CMS radar. Since it's not functioning I have no cruise control. Meritor sold to Wabco and want nothing to do with it and Wabco won't give out any technical specs on it to me since I'm not a dealer. I've looked online and spoke to several dealers and the cheapest I can find is $2,600 and it's on backorder. I'm not a fan of it and would rather not pay that price so I'm wondering if anyone has any information on removing the CMS system completely. I know that the ECU will shut down the cruise if it's unplugged and I'd like to retain the cruise. Several dealers have told me it can't be removed but it seems like there must be a way since I had a 2017 Lonestar with the same engine/specs and it didn't have the CMS. The radar part number is 400 871 640 0 (newer replacement part # 400 871 642 0). Any help is greatly appreciated
Yes that is a "saftey device" and legally can not be removed
If you do and they find out the truck was equipped with it from the factory it can open you up for legal issues
They are a headache,
But changing cruise setting from predictive to traditional should do it..... I think
If it has an ISX you can fix the cruise with insite like rollincoal mentioned. I believe the term is Adapative Cruise to Traditional. You'll still have the warning lights and such but the cruise will work I've done it on a few of them now.
Don't know about the newer units, but my 2012 pete had a meritor wabco radar. It was a separate display mounted to the dash. Unit stopped functioning properly so I opened the dash, disconnected the display and that disabled the system. Then was able to go into insite and adjust the adaptive cruise setting with any errors or warnings. Newer systems that are integrated into the OEM dash might be different, but you could try physically unplugging the radar unit at the bumper, or check inside your dash for the controller module. Maybe even try a fuse, though that would probably just result in a fault.

I'd love to remove the valves and airlines going into the radar unit at the bumper but I'm not sure the proper way to go about disconnecting/reconnecting them. After my deer strike the actual radar piece was destroyed and my new bumper doesn't have accommodations for a radar (or "headway") unit.
My 09 Peterbilt had a wingman radar system. The system was "removed" but the wires were causing ghost abs issues...I unplugged the bulkhead connector on the firewall and all my issues went away...just a thought.
(11-02-2022 )RollinCoal Wrote: [ -> ]Yes that is a "saftey device" and legally can not be removed
If you do and they find out the truck was equipped with it from the factory it can open you up for legal issues
They are a headache,
But changing cruise setting from predictive to traditional should do it..... I think

Recently I was in a seminar on calibraition and resetting issues surrounding these systems. IIRC they (the truck OEMs and suppliers) quite specifically do not call any of this stuff a Safety system. Because of liability. Instead all the systems, lane departure, roll over protection, radar, collision avoidence etc. get lumped under Advanced Driver Assitance Systems (ADAS). Same thing in automotive. Your comment is valid and has me curious. I will try and contact a person I know that is deeply involved with these systems on the supplier side and see what they say about removing or disabling them. Interesting.
(11-03-2022 )DVT873 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2022 )RollinCoal Wrote: [ -> ]Yes that is a "saftey device" and legally can not be removed
They are a headache,

Recently I was in a seminar on calibraition and resetting issues surrounding these systems. IIRC they (the truck OEMs and suppliers) quite specifically do not call any of this stuff a Safety system. Because of liability. Instead all the systems, lane departure, roll over protection, radar, collision avoidence etc. get lumped under Advanced Driver Assitance Systems (ADAS). Same thing in automotive. Your comment is valid and has me curious. I will try and contact a person I know that is deeply involved with these systems on the supplier side and see what they say about removing or disabling them. Interesting.
If im wrong then Im wrong
Im always open for new info :)
(11-04-2022 )RollinCoal Wrote: [ -> ]
They are a headache,

Rollin Coal,
Finally talked to my guy. You are correct. Short story is all those systems need to remain operative or "as built". Especially any that are linked to radar. There MIGHT be an exception or two but be prepared to fight about it in court*. Apart from legal and regulatory issues where the goverment is involved there is an insurance angle. An insurance company can and apparently has used an inoperative system as the basis for denying a claim.
These alterations include changing the cruise settings to get around a nonworking system.
*All this is fun and games and theory until there is accident.
(11-10-2022 )DVT873 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2022 )RollinCoal Wrote: [ -> ]
They are a headache,

Rollin Coal,
Finally talked to my guy. You are correct. Short story is all those systems need to remain operative or "as built". Especially any that are linked to radar. There MIGHT be an exception or two but be prepared to fight about it in court*. Apart from legal and regulatory issues where the goverment is involved there is an insurance angle. An insurance company can and apparently has used an inoperative system as the basis for denying a claim.
These alterations include changing the cruise settings to get around a nonworking system.
*All this is fun and games and theory until there is accident.
Im not a driver nor own a truck, But dash cams are a given
I used to work for Ryder and they started ordering all there new trucks with this crap and it has to be working if not we had to down the unit (safty device)
Need some help to try and get it working hit me up Ill help where I can
Reference URL's