Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Rod and Main bearings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
2013 ISX15 cm 2350

I have ordered parts directly from cummins. I have them, I think, but my ignorance is obviously showing up too.

What they sent me:

7 sets 14 total (top and bottom) main bearings
2 sets 4 total (top and bottom) some sort of rings? Main
1 set 2 total (top and bottom) rod bearing

Is this right?
The mains are right. The half moon rings are thrust bearings that go on the 4th bearing cap.

They have left you 5 rod bearings sets short however.
(12-13-2022 )kozakvod Wrote: [ -> ]2013 ISX15 cm 2350

I have ordered parts directly from cummins. I have them, I think, but my ignorance is obviously showing up too.

What they sent me:

Is this right?

You also need to take the time to verify every single part# for every single bearing shell that comes out as the old ones are removed.

Although it is uncommon, (about a 20% chance) that there is can be an alternate size bearing on a crank or mains lobe randomly inside the engine. A single or multiple crank lobes can sometimes have been installed at the factory to compensate for journal clearances, as the engine goes down the assembly line. There is no way of knowing before hand until the old ones that come out are checked individually. This is per individual lobe, etc.. so every single one has to be checked carefully.

Get one wrong and the engine will suffer mysterious low oil pressure issues or some other problem.. and/or can eventually snap the crank.
(12-13-2022 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2022 )kozakvod Wrote: [ -> ]2013 ISX15 cm 2350

What they sent me:

Is this right?

You also need to take the time to verify every single part# for every single bearing shell that comes out as the old ones are removed.

Although it is uncommon, (about a 20% chance) that there is can be an alternate size bearing on a crank or mains lobe randomly inside the engine. A single or multiple crank lobes can sometimes have been installed at the factory to compensate for journal clearances, as the engine goes down the assembly line. There is no way of knowing before hand until the old ones that come out are checked individually. This is per individual lobe, etc.. so every single one has to be checked carefully.

Get one wrong and the engine will suffer mysterious low oil pressure issues or some other problem.. and/or can eventually snap the crank.

Rawze thank you for that heads up I will definitely make note to check them.

Is what Cummins sent me correct? Is it only a single Rod bearing (2 lobes)? I'll forward images.
Two images:

Main bearings
Rod bearing
Yea you just need to order 5 more, but first you need to know if all part numbers are the same. I don't think cummins sells rod bearings as a set of 6. I believe you have to buy them individually.
(12-13-2022 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]....but first you need to know if all part numbers are the same....

Are those part numbers stamped on the outside of the bearing? I'm assuming verification for ALL bearings, correct?

*edit - reread Rawze's post about verifying each bearing PN.
(12-13-2022 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]Yea you just need to order 5 more, but first you need to know if all part numbers are the same. I don't think cummins sells rod bearings as a set of 6. I believe you have to buy them individually.

That was my assumption that this was only for ONE rod bearing! Oh the ignorance of some people is worse than mine and they work for Cummins.

I told her I needed full set of rod and main bearings. Who the hell replaces ONE rod bearing? Geezzz

I'll verify all part number stamps once I get them all in now that I need to order 5 more.
(12-13-2022 )SquareOne Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2022 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]....but first you need to know if all part numbers are the same....

Are those part numbers stamped on the outside of the bearing? I'm assuming verification for ALL bearings, correct?

*edit - reread Rawze's post about verifying each bearing PN.

Yes they are stamped on the outside of each bearing, I haven't yet opened the packaging of the main bearings, but the ONE rod bearing I have are:

3686435 Upper
3686436 Lower
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's