Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 2005 Volvo Cummins15 CM870 TURBO SURGING UP AND DOWN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone , I wish you all a happy new year !!I recently did an overhaul on my 2005 Volvo Cummins Isx 15. Injectors, pistons, new head, and new turbo (turbo shut closed broken). l replaced also the turbo along with exhaust sensor/turbo pressure sensor/ turbo air control valve and actuator. FYI I’ve swapped 3 different turbos.

TURBO KEEPS SURGING UP AND DOWN WHEN ACCELERATING AND JUST IN IDLE THERE IS SOOO MUCH BOOST IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE NEXT TO BOEING AIRPLANE .

SYMPTOMS: In neutral when pushing accelerator pedal RPM wont rise above 1400 and turbo actuator surges up and down .
When driving there aren’t rpm limitations but actuator behaves in a similar fashion surging up and down with soo much over boost. Truck is automatic and it has soo much boost that truck won’t even shift properly at times . I am not running the truck FYI just test runs .

HAS ANYONE RAN INTO A SIMILAR ISSUE. I NEED GUIDANCE PLEASE!! IS IT AN ECM ISSUE ? IS IT A HARNESS ISSUE ?
So this is a cm870 right? Is it demandated or completely stock? Exactly how much boost is it making? What are the EGT's doing? Is it smoking? If so what color? You said you replaced the turbo actuator control box, did you buy the new one from cummins or somewhere like ebay?
Also with replacing the actuators, are you using insite to calibrate and align them?
The 870 uses an air actuator, it doesn't require calibration with insite like the electronic actuator's do.
Quote:The 870 uses an air actuator, it doesn't require calibration with insite like the electronic actuator's do.

My bad, I read it as 871 this first time.
(01-04-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]maybe this helps too..
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid54418

Did you ever get an update on that thread Rawzee ?
Did the guy or you run into a similar issue where you readjusted the turbo and it started working?
(01-03-2023 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]So this is a cm870 right? Is it demandated or completely stock? Exactly how much boost is it making? What are the EGT's doing? Is it smoking? If so what color? You said you replaced the turbo actuator control box, did you buy the new one from cummins or somewhere like ebay?

Yes CM870, EGR IS deleted , looking at my gauge it shows normal boost of up to 35psi, I don’t necessarily know if it’s too much boost but certainly a LOT OF AIRFLOW. It is not smoking . I bought the turbo actuator control box from Cummins . Once the turbo actuator goes down (in idle ) it sounds like I’m pulling a hill and it’s just sitting there . When driving with or without a load when you push down on the accelerator the actuator goes down and chokes the turbo and then it opens back up again . It’s soo wonky you’d think I have all that airflow it would actually pull uphill with a load but it starts choking .

Sorry for the late response I thought it was going to come to my inbox
Sounds like the same crap tune my buddy has in his 870, he would not listen to me when I told him NOT to do it! I think he has since pissed away $15,000 on repairing this bad tune by throwing parts at the motor, he insists it is not the tune.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's