Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Pro Star Air tanks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2008 Prostar and my air are starting to leak but it's the tanks with the snap rings. They don't make the pieces that replace the old ones anymore. International says that you have to replace the tanks to the new style. I think that they stopped using the snap rings in 2010-11 but not sure. Has anyone had to fix their leaking air tanks? I don't want to take the snap rings off and remove them if I can't put it back together. Truck is usually loaded so I would need to be prepared if I need to replace the tanks.
If the tanks are that old,.. maybe you should invest in updating them.. for safety reasons if nothing else.
I know there's a lot of drivers on here with Prostars and was wondering if any one else had to replace them. I have done a lot of searching the internet just can't find anything. I spoke with a guy at international and he said they stopped making the fittings with the snap rings. I have seen some forms saying that replacement is best. I don't have any problem replacing them I just need to have everything so I can do it on a Saturday. Also wondering if larger tanks would be worth doing? I see a lot of tanks for sale but not wanting to turn something easy into a mess. Don't want to have to start changing air line too because tanks are different.
Myself... I have not replaced mine yet. so not sure.
I haven't had my old '09 for 3 years now, but I had that problem too. I'm sure Rawze would give me shi#t for this, but I fixed the leak with J.B.Weld. Take the drain out, it's threaded at least, so no pressure builds in the tank while the weld is curing.

I did end up replacing one of the two tanks, so like Rawze suggested, best bet is probably just to replace them.
Back when those fittings were available we had less than a 50% success rate with replacing o'rings or fittings. Problem was deicing salts and chlorides could work their way in and even get past the o'rings. Even if that crap didn't get past the o'ring it still ate up the bore. Pushing the new fitting in would damage the o'ring. Even if you got in there and tried to clean up the surface. That is assuming you could even get the snap ring out. The snap ring groove would get screwed up and the snap ring wouldn't seat. Snow plow trucks were the worst.
So I ended up going through the local International and bought a set of aftermarket tanks with screw in fittings. It took forever to get all the elbows and plugs that were needed. Each tank has six holes plus the drain and the holes are M22. I got old style turn drains so I don't have to hold that cable to drain my tanks. Bought new cables that hold them so I just cut the old ones. Took me about two hours to replace them but parts cost just south of a grand.
{post removed.. advertising}
Reference URL's