Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Rawze's Technical Documents (/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... (/showthread.php?tid=109)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - bigben - 03-17-2019

Should I start using gear lube in my oil as I have 270000 miles and from day one I am using synthetic oil. Any advise is helpful.

RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - Rawze - 03-17-2019

(03-17-2019 )bigben Wrote:  Should I start using gear lube in my oil as I have 270000 miles and from day one I am using synthetic oil. Any advise is helpful.

Why are you wasting money on synthetic would be the bigger question.

RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - bigben - 03-17-2019

(03-17-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-17-2019 )bigben Wrote:  Should I start using gear lube in my oil as I have 270000 miles and from day one I am using synthetic oil. Any advise is helpful.

Why are you wasting money on synthetic would be the bigger question.

When. Bought new truck I did not know much my brother told me to use synthetic so I did. Should I go back to conventional oil now. Will it be ok. Tnx

RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - SquareOne - 03-17-2019

If you're dropping the oil as recommended on this site (not what Cummins says), then conventional will be much more cost effective. The extra $$$ spent on the synthetic is really a waste as it will literally be pouring it down the drain.

RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - Pd6cas2 - 03-17-2019

I use StaLube on My ISX , Rigmaster Apu and Carrier Reefer engine.
I get the 5 gallon from Amazon and Love the results.

RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - Magard - 03-17-2019

This raises a question about running synthetic then switching back to conventional oil. I’ve heard the tales of ounce you start synthetic then you better stay synthetic otherwise you motor will go to crap on you. This sound like superstition to me. Unless synthetic has weird additives that change the surface of the metal in your engine. Then conventional doesn’t work right with the new surface of the engine after synthetic oil coated it. The reason this came to mind is after I saw what gear oil did to the internals of Rawze’s engine. What if synthetic changed the surface tension of the metal so regular oil wouldn’t coat it right.

RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - Rawze - 03-18-2019

(03-17-2019 )Magard Wrote:  This raises a question about running synthetic then switching back to conventional oil. I’ve heard the tales of ounce you start synthetic then you better stay synthetic otherwise you motor will go to crap on you. This sound like superstition to me. Unless synthetic has weird additives that change the surface of the metal in your engine. Then conventional doesn’t work right with the new surface of the engine after synthetic oil coated it. The reason this came to mind is after I saw what gear oil did to the internals of Rawze’s engine. What if synthetic changed the surface tension of the metal so regular oil wouldn’t coat it right.

With a statement like that, I think people are confusing syn oil with crap products like slik-50,.. the garbage that contained oil stop-leak + ceramics that opened up clearences, forcing its users to keep using it. It ruined the insides of engines. -- 2 different things.

RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - Magard - 03-18-2019

Could be. I’m buying a pickup with Cummins and the guy has been running synthetic oil. I’m going to run delo with a shot of gearlube. He told me not to switch back to regular oil because he heard it would ruin the engine. I kinda chuckled inside. Thought that sounded kookie.

RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - ChicagoDiesel - 03-18-2019

(04-21-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  I am starting to wonder if 10% gear lube will help my toyota -- ?? lol

Did you ever get around to doing this?

I have a 2002 toyota 4.7L V8 and Im considering using some 75w90, currently running 5w30, to try and save the valvetrain.

The truck wasn't maintained as well as it should have and it sat a lot. It's at about 120kmiles right now and getting a lot of noise from the valve train. These engines are similar to the isx in that they run low pressure and high volume for the oil. Only a matter of time before the head goes.

Im thinking of starting at about 1/2 qt which is about 8% in this engine. Running for 2k miles and getting a lab test.

What do you think? Worth a shot?