Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: CAT, Detroit, and Other engine related Help... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+--- Thread: This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops (/showthread.php?tid=1278)

Pages: 1 2

This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - Brock - 12-24-2016

This right here is exactly why.....

[attachment=2313]

Now of course this isn't just a platinum rebuild. My wife wanted to look at the idea of getting cats 4 year warranty with it which includes putting a few items back into working order. Nothings removed, just plugged.

I convinced her the warranty wasn't worth it as I have 2 other quotes that come in at $35,000 so I could rebuild twice for the same money as Cat wanted!!!

RE: This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - Rawze - 12-24-2016

I have seen guys get quoted that much for ISX engine re-builds on occasion too. They start adding in all the emissions system components like SCR can and DPF can, EGR cooler, EGR Valve, etc. etc. and huge amounts of labor costs to go along with each of those components.

They are called stealerships for good reason.

I would not be opposed to it if you got some seriously good quality in return, but sad part is that I have seen and helped drivers do a better job with their truck with better quality of workmanship in my own driveway under my shade tree than just about any oem shop I have ever seen. It seems also that the ones who charge the most, have the worst workmanship too. They mostly seem to be simply out to gouge every customer for as much as they can who walks into the door.

RE: This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - Brock - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  I have seen guys get quoted that much for ISX engine re-builds on occasion too. They start adding in all the emissions system components like SCR can and DPF can, EGR cooler, EGR Valve, etc. etc. and huge amounts of labor costs to go along with each of those components.

They are called stealerships for good reason.

I would not be opposed to it if you got some seriously good quality in return, but sad part is that I have seen and helped drivers do a better job with their truck with better quality of workmanship in my own driveway under my shade tree than just about any oem shop I have ever seen. It seems also that the ones who charge the most, have the worst workmanship too. They mostly seem to be simply out to gouge every customer for as much as they can who walks into the door.

Yup, these are the shops that have multiple apprentices working on your truck and 1 journeyman sitting in the office taking phone calls. All the good mechanics know the dealerships pay the lowest wages so they leave.

A true pride filled journeyman will tear a entire motor down if they realized they made a mistake because if they ever start their own shop, it's their workmanship that'll fill those bays.

A apprentice not being supervised will hide a mistake in fear of being fired and losing his apprenticeship backing.

RE: This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - trucklogger2 - 12-24-2016

Gotta love shop supplies.Always a good chuckle.An easy fiteen percent every time. LOL.

RE: This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - bossboy2 - 02-16-2018

(12-24-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  They are called stealerships for good reason.

And then they tell you, and I quote, "if we don't replace everything, we won't warranty the job"!!!!

RE: This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - Rawze - 02-16-2018

(02-16-2018 )bossboy2 Wrote:  And then they tell you, and I quote, "if we don't replace everything, we won't warranty the job"!!!!

What good is the "Warranty the Job" when every time you go back because they didn't fix it, they find something else to charge you more money for that you did not need.

RE: This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - layne - 02-16-2018

amen to that

RE: This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - Elmuchotazz - 02-28-2019

Talking about warranties. Are those warranties you buy with a used truck any good?

RE: This is why Cat is closing it's truck shops - Signature620 - 02-28-2019

(02-28-2019 )Elmuchotazz Wrote:  Talking about warranties. Are those warranties you buy with a used truck any good?

There are a few threads on here about those used truck warranties. The common theme is that they tend not to cover major and common engine failures like common rail fuel pumps and dropped liners. You usually only find out when you attempt to make a warranty claim.