Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Opinions on gliders - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Opinions on gliders (/showthread.php?tid=1577)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Opinions on gliders - BiloxiDave - 03-14-2017

I've watched quite a few videos from different companies selling gliders, most of which are using the Detroit 60 series and a couple using a Cat engine. Is this the most ideal way to go for the best of both worlds, a 100% pre dpf/egr engine and a new aerodynamic chassis/body? I know there isn't much if any of a price break on the gliders compared to a new unit but there is less of the problematic parts to fail. I also have not heard of anyone boasting of really great mpg which I thought you would get with a glider combo. There is so much to factor in, uptime (possible), mpg, def fluid cost, sensors and maintenance keeping an egr system tuned. Thoughts please!

RE: Opinions on gliders - Texasdude74 - 03-14-2017

Most gliders built aren't done for max fuel mileage. They more often than not don't utilize wide single tires, very tall gearing, any kind of aero or single screw differentials. They're also, not typically driven at 53 mph. So, their mpg isn't stellar, usually in the 6-7 range. Their advantage is in their ability to go over a million miles with minimal shop time and ease of repair when they do break.
A modern, low rolling resistance aero truck driven at 11-1200 rpm might save you $2-3k per year in fuel. Some of that will be given back in Def fluid, but many times that amount will be given back when the engine requires a tear down every 2-3 years with multiple check engine lights, sensor failures and firm ware updates along the way.

RE: Opinions on gliders - Brock - 03-14-2017

An old 12.7 would get good mileage and typically last a very long time, I've got a 02 12.7 with a million that literally has not been opened once, I neglected the crap out of that motor.

New engines get better mileage but are high maintenance.

The old engine is like a old hag of a wife and the new engine is the hot young secretary.

The new Shiney hot thing sure is fun and can give you the ride of your life but that bitch is crazy and when it goes bad....... it goes bad!

The pre egr is your old reliable hag of a wife. She don't ask for much, she don't need much. She ain't ain't wild and fast as that hot new thing but she'll cook you dinner and clean your skid stained gitch for a million miles and keeps on keeping on.

RE: Opinions on gliders - Hammerhead - 03-14-2017

(03-14-2017 )Brock Wrote:  An old 12.7 would get good mileage and typically last a very long time, I've got a 02 12.7 with a million that literally has not been opened once, I neglected the crap out of that motor.

New engines get better mileage but are high maintenance.

The old engine is like a old hag of a wife and the new engine is the hot young secretary.

The new Shiney hot thing sure is fun and can give you the ride of your life but that bitch is crazy and when it goes bad....... it goes bad!

The pre egr is your old reliable hag of a wife. She don't ask for much, she don't need much. She ain't ain't wild and fast as that hot new thing but she'll cook you dinner and clean your skid stained gitch for a million miles and keeps on keeping on.

WAIT A SECOND!!!! She does your laundry?

RE: Opinions on gliders - Rockycoon75 - 03-14-2017

Fitzgerald is offering a isx now. 600hp 2050 tq if I remember correctly. Not sure what or how they are doing emissions. But I seen they are offering them. 3yr 300k warranty

RE: Opinions on gliders - Brock - 03-14-2017

When I was looking into a glider I could get

Cascadia
14L 60 series
12.7L 60 series
Sig series isx

Coronado
14L 60 series
12.7 60 series
Sig series isx
C15 6nz

RE: Opinions on gliders - hhow55 - 03-14-2017

I sure Miss my 12.7

RE: Opinions on gliders - Rig Wrench - 03-14-2017

My truck is a glider, but has a very early 871 in it. Boss got the truck for next to nothing in a package deal. Only reason it's here. I put the 871 in it, not for fuel mileage, but its what the boss found, brand new in the box. Regardless I'm very happy with it.

RE: Opinions on gliders - Rawze - 03-14-2017

There is a concrete company who tried the glider thing. Got a bunch of them from fitzjerkald.... in less than 2 years they sent them back and demanded all their money back. they hated them and could not keep them out of the shop due to problems with re-man components. They kept one but it has so many damn oil leaks it isn't funny. -- i guess their quality isn't what it used to be?

I would not want to own one.

Out of date technology that are at least 1 - 1.5 mpg lower in fuel efficiency no matter what you do to them. -- Older style engines are just not able to keep up because of their non-VG turbo's and less fuel efficient designs. I could buy a second truck for what I could save in fuel alone in its lifetime. -- Newer engines are not that problematic unless you neglect the crap out of them and wait until it is crying like a little girl to do anything. that is their biggest problem,... no one gives a shi#t about maintaining one until its too damn late and costing you downtime.

I would not trade my truck for 3 gliders!.