Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Things that may help others... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... (/showthread.php?tid=175)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - Waterloo - 03-13-2016

2008 ProStar with a bad head gasket... Cummins CM-871 600hp... Approaching 900,000 miles... I was trying to nurse her until I could save up some money... She had other ideas.

Went and had the oil changed the other day... All went well, took off back towards the house, grabbed my trailer and entered I-94... I got about a 1/4 mile and warning buzzer going off! Steam pouring out of the passenger side of the truck... I immediately hit the shoulder and shut her down... Water Temp shot up to around 230 just as I shut her down... This all happened in about 15 seconds, it was 0230 so no traffic... I was 5 miles from the house. I called the TA and they brought me out some coolant, I clamped the heater line that busted with my needle nose vice grips and limped her home.

The heater hose in my TriPac blew out, fixed that, new hoses, through in a new radiator, fan and thermostat for good measure, she is running fantastic now... LOL! Yes, the radiator was bad.

Now for the truck... I went and filled the coolant bottle, cracked the petcock breather on the top coolant line, started the truck, let her warm up, all sounded good... And then it started raining, RAINING COOLANT! It was shooting out of the bottle a good foot or more in the air... I went and got it to temp and let the thermostat open and she settled down a bit, but it looks like she is toast, still puking coolant.

I called around, looked at all of my options from just doing the head and lower end which also needs to be done... To dropping a Cummins reman in, or a used motor or just going ahead and doing the in frame.

Going with the in frame, it is the least expensive and probably the best route to go right now. Best case, looking at $18,000, worst case, $25,000 This also includes a new clutch, pilot bearing, flywheel reface, etc.

The International dealer up the street is doing the work, supposed to have two excellent Cummins guys on staff for the rebuild. I know of one of these mechanics, and he has a very good reputation locally. They have a machine shop and will reman the head if it is salvageable, if not, going with a Cummins reman. I need advice on the cams, if they are solid, should I keep them, or replace? I am leaning towards replacing, your thoughts?

I did the cut out test for Injectors no issues there, nice and strong on all cylinders, so staying with those.

Replacing fuel metering actuators on fuel pump, all four.

My Turbo is not factory, but an OEM replacement, I have no idea how old it is, or when it was installed, but shows no signs of failure, so looking at keeping that. Thoughts?

Using all Cummins parts, comes with a two year warranty, and they will warranty it with the @m*m^2... I'm a good customer.

The truck all in all is solid, and I have run out of things to replace, it is essentially a new truck except for the motor...

She goes in this coming Wednesday 3/16/16, told I should have her back in 7 to 10 business days. They have the bay reserved and will get right on it for me.

There may be other things that can be done, but I am really getting tired of nursing this thing and having to replace so many parts relating to this head gasket issue. I just installed a new radiator a few weeks ago. She is currently using three to four gallons of coolant a week, and trust me, I don't go anywhere with this truck, as I am driving local right now. I think it is time, get it fixed and be done with it. The truck is paid for, and if I can get a solid repair I think I can take her another 900,000 miles.

RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - Coco620 - 03-13-2016

That sucks,good luck at least she'll be all fixed.

RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - hhow55 - 03-13-2016

When mine was puking coolant, it would spray and hit the truck parked next to mine, no kidding. Turned out it was the air compressor was bad. Disconnect the air line that goes to the dryer, and from the intake, and see if it quits puking coolant.

RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - biscuits and gravy - 03-13-2016

Sorry to hear the news, sounds like your going in the right direction. You can always connect with one of the guys from the forum later, on getting help with replacing injectors and the turbo.

I'm interested in everybody's opinion too on cam replacement.

RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - stevesparts - 03-13-2016

Well when mine bit the dust(cm870)I thought it was a turbo. but after they cut open the oil filter.well you could have pick up the inside with a magnet. number 4 was wasted one the cam and it went quick.. so went with a reman(565 hp) and been happy so far. but it hurt to put out that much $$$$$$$$'s for it. just need someone to "tune her up" and then i will be very happy,as my computer skills su4k....so i feel your loss.:(

RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - Rawze - 03-13-2016

(03-13-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...
The International dealer up the street is doing the work, supposed to have two excellent Cummins guys on staff for the rebuild. I know of one of these mechanics, and he has a very good reputation locally. They have a machine shop and will reman the head if it is salvageable, if not, going with a Cummins reman. I need advice on the cams, if they are solid, should I keep them, or replace? I am leaning towards replacing, your thoughts?

If it is inframe city -- After 900k miles,.. WHATEVER YOU DO! ---- REPLACE THAT HEAD! -- Or you will be doing it again in short order. Price is about $3200 roughly. I also have my doubts that an OE shop is going to build that engine even halfway right. Overpriced as hell and half-arssed is likely what you will end up with at best. Should have taken it to gearheads & have it done right.

RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - Unilevers - 03-13-2016

honestly i wouldnt try and fix that head either - i would also replace the cams.

RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - Waterloo - 03-17-2016

(03-13-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  honestly i wouldnt try and fix that head either - i would also replace the cams.

Thanks for taking my call yesterday Unilevers! You really helped me out with this in-frame! I called the dealer and told them about the oil coolers and oil thermostat, we have those coming, along with a brand new Cummins head, not a reman. Brand new cams too. Pricing was the same as you described dollar wise, but worth it. We are going to inspect the Jake rockers, as those babies are not cheap! The Jake solenoids are going in also, as well as a six pack of new injectors which have a two year warranty to boot, these are a new model over the old ones from what I was told with a better warranty from Cummins. Leaving the old Turbo on, as she is not giving me any issues, but installing a new air compressor, as she is the original, along with allot of other new parts. I think everything will be new from the input shaft on the tranny up to the radiator I just installed up front, other than the turbo which was replaced sometime in the past. New Transmission Cooler going on too...

I'm dropping the truck off today, and again thank you very very much for the help!

RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... - Waterloo - 03-17-2016

(03-13-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  When mine was puking coolant, it would spray and hit the truck parked next to mine, no kidding. Turned out it was the air compressor was bad. Disconnect the air line that goes to the dryer, and from the intake, and see if it quits puking coolant.

I checked the air compressor, not the issue... But, it is the factory one, and am having a new one installed just to be safe, 900,000 miles is long enough. Thanks for the conversation!