Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
2250 low rail pressure code - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: 2250 low rail pressure code (/showthread.php?tid=1889)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

2250 low rail pressure code - loghauler - 07-06-2017

One of my drivers was headed to work empty this morning. Called and said the service engine light would come on for 5-10 seconds, derate engine, and then go off and return to normal. It happened 5 times in a 50 mile span. Got him to stop at friends shop, plugged up and the last stored code was fuel rail pressure. Replaced fuel filter on frame (truck is a kw with paccar filter housing). Code didn't pop up again until last load this afternoon, and it only popped up while loaded and truck was in a decent pull. It happened 7 times this time, and again lasted 5-10 seconds and went back off. He's empty now and it hasn't done it anymore. Fuel pressure is 158 on each side of filter base. Any ideas? Truck was serviced this passed weekend with all new filters. TIA

RE: 2250 low rail pressure code - Serega - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017 )loghauler Wrote:  One of my drivers was headed to work empty this morning. Called and said the service engine light would come on for 5-10 seconds, derate engine, and then go off and return to normal. It happened 5 times in a 50 mile span. Got him to stop at friends shop, plugged up and the last stored code was fuel rail pressure. Replaced fuel filter on frame (truck is a kw with paccar filter housing). Code didn't pop up again until last load this afternoon, and it only popped up while loaded and truck was in a decent pull. It happened 7 times this time, and again lasted 5-10 seconds and went back off. He's empty now and it hasn't done it anymore. Fuel pressure is 158 on each side of filter base. Any ideas? Truck was serviced this passed weekend with all new filters. TIA

Replace the pump head .

RE: 2250 low rail pressure code - Squish099 - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017 )loghauler Wrote:  One of my drivers was headed to work empty this morning. Called and said the service engine light would come on for 5-10 seconds, derate engine, and then go off and return to normal. It happened 5 times in a 50 mile span. Got him to stop at friends shop, plugged up and the last stored code was fuel rail pressure. Replaced fuel filter on frame (truck is a kw with paccar filter housing). Code didn't pop up again until last load this afternoon, and it only popped up while loaded and truck was in a decent pull. It happened 7 times this time, and again lasted 5-10 seconds and went back off. He's empty now and it hasn't done it anymore. Fuel pressure is 158 on each side of filter base. Any ideas? Truck was serviced this passed weekend with all new filters. TIA

2250 with fuel pressure codes could be a hand grenade.. The pumps are notorious for exploding the ceramic plungers and taking out the entire motor.. First question which fuel pump is on it, the 3 cylinder (8,hex head bolts), or 2 cylinder (4, Allen head bolt). Seeing as either can have ceramic plungers buy and new fuel pump head gasket and check the plungers. If it's a 3 cylinder pump the probability is high it has ceramic. Cummins solution is to sell you the 2 cylinder pump with steel plungers to the tune of 4000 +/- with related hard lines for the swap. The 3 cylinder ceramic plungers have a life expectancy for 4-500k miles, some never made it to 300k..

RE: 2250 low rail pressure code - Rawze - 07-06-2017

That is the symptoms of the fuel pressure code of complete engine death!!! -- Nothing to play with. PRAY LIKE HELL AND HOPE FOR A MIRACLE THIS IS NOT WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOURS!!! - But in all likeliness it most often is when you get the symptoms and codes for fuel pressure just like you describe.

Here is a fine example. Read through this carefully...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1805&pid=15389#pid15389

RE: 2250 low rail pressure code - simon999 - 07-06-2017

Remove pump head asap and check if plungers not ceramic. Replace with steel ones. Cummins sells repair kit for 2250. Cost about $200. Also inspect pump tappets. Hope no damage to the engine yet. Heres part numbers and instructions how to replace.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=118&pid=14615#pid14615

RE: 2250 low rail pressure code - loghauler - 07-07-2017

Should have noted in original post, but the fuel pump was updated under warranty before I bought the truck. It had plungers and tappets replaced.

I sure hope it's not pump problems! We are going to monitor it closely today. I will keep y'all updated!

RE: 2250 low rail pressure code - Rawze - 07-07-2017

(07-07-2017 )loghauler Wrote:  Should have noted in original post, but the fuel pump was updated under warranty before I bought the truck. It had plungers and tappets replaced.

Mr. Hag and Unilevers have seen many who have had that warranty update done. MANY STILL HAD THE WRONG PLUNGERS OR ONLY A PARTIAL UPDATE IN THEM!. - NEVER TRUST IT!

(07-07-2017 )loghauler Wrote:  I sure hope it's not pump problems! We are going to monitor it closely today. I will keep y'all updated!

I know to the outsider, we sound like a bunch of nay-sayers at times, but this one is as serious as it gets.

If the pump is failing, EVERY SINGLE MILE it is driven will chew up the engine exponentially, destroy everything. I have seen guys drive them for several days thinking it is not the problem, only to end up having to buy a new engine completely after it finally seizes up. It destroys much more than just the stuff you would replace if you were to inframe it and becomes a lot less expensive to replace the entire engine. It messes up the crank, cam, bearings, rockers, geartrain, geartrain bearings, oil pump, oil cooler, oil thermostat, bypass valve, turbo, air compressor, sometimes even the power steering pump. Basically everything that has oil running through or passing over it.

If I owned one of those engines and had that code, I would have pulled off the oil filter and cut it open if need be before driving it another mile. If even a hint of shavings found, I would have it towed somewhere instead of cranking it up again. - Yes, it is that bad.

You never know, Maybe it is something simple like a failing fuel filter or flow/supply problem. Perhaps air in the system or even a very leaky injector or pressure relief valve from trash getting into the fuel when the filter was changed. Hopefully it IS something of lesser importance and thats all it is. Maybe you won the lottery and it is not the pump, but not shutting the engine down immediately and having it investigated/resolved at the first signs of that particular issue is taking a huge gamble -- HUGE!.

How many miles are on the engine?

Thanks rawze! The engine has 300k. I bought it at 285k. He is on the way to the shop with it now. I have a very good friend that is he service manager at a local international dealership. I do all maintenance work and normal day to day stuff myself, but he always puts in my clutches and things of that sort. I have been pleased with all of the work they have done for me in the past, and one guy in the shop always works on my trucks. He said that he would go down the cummins diagnostic tree to find the problem, and this shop is usually pretty thorough. Just asking, do you agree with taking it there since I trust them? Time is not very friendly to me as I have 3 other trucks and run a piece of machinery on our logging crew. Thanks very much for your input!