Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: International Trucks Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? (/showthread.php?tid=209)

Pages: 1 2

ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? - Waterloo - 03-17-2016

Have you been driving down the road and discovered that your blower motor is acting up, will just turn off for no reason? Open up the fuse panel, the one on the interior of the truck on the passenger side, the main fuse block. Look at the fuse placement diagram on the back of the lid and find the blower motor fuse. It should be located in the front center of the block, closest to the passenger seat, right near the lip of the dash cover. You will find a 30 amp breaker there, pull it out and replace with a 30 amp automotive fuse. That should fix your problem, as these breakers tend to fail. I found this out after spending a more than a few hundred dollars at the stealership and not having any heat.

The amp draw for our fans is really high, and wears out the OEM breakers. Honestly, I think it is a fire hazard and I will tell you why. After you replace that breaker with a fuse, go look at that fuse in a week or two, you will find it partially melted. But, the problem with the breaker is its height, it hits the top of the lid of the fuse block dash lid and will, or can give you fits. Anyways, that is how I fixed my temperamental blower motor, don't let the dealer sell you anything until you change out this breaker.

Hope this helps.

RE: ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? - yamajason - 03-17-2016

Heat at a connection = resistance. Resistance could be caused by a loose or corroded connection.

RE: ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? - Waterloo - 03-17-2016

(03-17-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  Heat at a connection = resistance. Resistance could be caused by a loose or corroded connection.

I agree, there should be twelve gauge wiring for the blower, but it looks to be around 16 gauge. It was an International mechanic that told me about this breaker/fuse issue. It is a common problem in these ProStars, at least that is what he stated to me. A serious design flaw. And I did check my wiring, it all looks good, at least at the connections at the blower and resistor... The fuse block, not so much. Another project...

RE: ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? - yamajason - 03-17-2016

Last year I had water leaking in from the Marker Lamps in the Visor and it dripped right on the fuseblock corroding some of the fuse connectors. Clean or replace the connectors, apply dielectric grease in connector to prevent future corrosion.

The marker lamps screws were loose and needed tightening. I put sealant around lamps and visor to cab mounts just to be thorough.

RE: ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? - Hedley - 03-17-2016

there is a recall on some 09-10 models for the harness, check with dealer to see if yours is on the recall list.

RE: ProStar no Iddle hvac problems - Papi4u - 08-21-2017

I have a 10 prostar isx cm871 A week ago I left it into the dealer to ck the no idle hvac, the next day they call saying was the batteries, I know for sure wasn't that but they insist, the there was a code and I agree to change it, the system still not working, now they said there are two wires in shortcut that runs from the unit to the body controller, they are too lazy to find it in a whole week.
Did someone know if those wires run from the passenger or driver side, by the ceiling, by the door, or below the truck.
Last year I have my truck in the same place in Las Vegas cause never regen they charm me $500 and no problem was solve.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

RE: ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? - Rawze - 08-21-2017

(08-21-2017 )Papi4u Wrote:  I have a 10 prostar isx cm871 A week ago I left it into the dealer to ck the no idle hvac, the next day they call saying was the batteries, I know for sure wasn't that but they insist, the there was a code and I agree to change it, the system still not working, now they said there are two wires in shortcut that runs from the unit to the body controller, they are too lazy to find it in a whole week.
Did someone know if those wires run from the passenger or driver side, by the ceiling, by the door, or below the truck.
Last year I have my truck in the same place in Las Vegas cause never regen they charm me $500 and no problem was solve.
Thanks

Problem #1 -- You took it to the stealershits. They are only good at one thing -- milking your wallet dry and putting you out of buisness. -- first step--- RUN LIKE HELL!!!

After that, -- find a small shop that is good with A/C work who actually troubleshoots those kinds of things instead of guessing by using your wallet and the most expensive parts they can come up with.

====

If it is an actual short circuit,.. It should be easy to find. Wires from under the bunk, etc. that go up to the front of the cab for those types of units almost always run under the plastic trim where you step into and out of the cab.

If something is drawing excess current and draining the batteries, it can be easily found via a thermal camera.

here is an example of one being used to check batteries themselves ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1393&pid=11663#pid11663

RE: ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? - Papi4u - 08-22-2017

(08-21-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-21-2017 )Papi4u Wrote:  I have a 10 prostar isx cm871 A week ago I left it into the dealer to ck the no idle hvac, the next day they call saying was the batteries, I know for sure wasn't that but they insist, the there was a code and I agree to change it, the system still not working, now they said there are two wires in shortcut that runs from the unit to the body controller, they are too lazy to find it in a whole week.
Thanks

Problem #1 -- You took it to the stealershits. They are only good at one thing -- milking your wallet dry and putting you out of buisness. -- first step--- RUN LIKE HELL!!!

After that, -- find a small shop that is good with A/C work who actually troubleshoots those kinds of things instead of guessing by using your wallet and the most expensive parts they can come up with.

====

If it is an actual short circuit,.. It should be easy to find. Wires from under the bunk, etc. that go up to the front of the cab for those types of units almost always run under the plastic trim where you step into and out of the cab.

If something is drawing excess current and draining the batteries, it can be easily found via a thermal camera.

here is an example of one being used to check batteries themselves ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1393&pid=11663#pid11663

Thanks so much I know for sure I will find it by the door step, is really dirty and full of dust since I bought this.
Thanks I will say if I find it

RE: ProStar AC/Heater Blower Motor acting up? - Waterloo - 08-22-2017

There is that harness recall. I'll see if I can dig up the part number, it is has an inline resistor. Solved most of my issues with the blower motor. Also replace the 30 amp breaker with a 30 amp regular fuse. Check the fuse box where that Blower Motor fuse plugs in for any signs of high heat. Pretty common on these ProStars.

Then, try to find where your Ambient Air Temperature sending unit is, the thermometer part. It will be in one of three places... In the driver side mirror or in the wiring harness buried under the radiator or back under your fifth wheel. It has a tiny bulb on it with two wires and a small bracket/clip. Dig that thing out and put it up high, like on the cowl where your wiper blades are. Trust me on this one, get that thing exposed to mother nature. Until I did that I would only have AC for maybe an hour or two and then the it would just blow hot air... Thousands of dollars later, I dug that damn thing out from under my radiator and attached it to the cowl and I have not had any issues with my AC in a couple of months!

I'll see if I can find the post on that service bulletin regarding the harness fix.

Here is the thread, http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1511 explains it all, with part number needed to fix. POTENTIAL FOR FIRE