Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Testing your intake for leaks. - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Things that may help others... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Testing your intake for leaks. (/showthread.php?tid=2274)

Testing your intake for leaks. - kryten - 10-19-2017

Here is a video that gives a few tips on checking your intake system for boost leaks.

If you have a Volvo these guys have quite a few how to vids on the truck.

RE: Testing your intake for leaks. - dhirocz - 10-20-2017

I was just thinking about this today. I was thinking about making a new rig to go with my homemade stainless CAC tester to pressurize the whole system...

RE: Testing your intake for leaks. - Pd6cas2 - 11-11-2017

I believe this will only work on Volvos!!

RE: Testing your intake for leaks. - Rawze - 11-11-2017

another method...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=972&pid=8321#pid8321

RE: Testing your intake for leaks. - Billdozer2 - 11-11-2017

My only concern with this boost leak tester is since you are constantly pushing air through the turbo, the turbo will be rotating. Since the engine is not running and supplying the turbo with oil, there is a chance that you could damage the turbo.

RE: Testing your intake for leaks. - Hammerhead - 11-11-2017

(11-11-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  My only concern with this boost leak tester is since you are constantly pushing air through the turbo, the turbo will be rotating. Since the engine is not running and supplying the turbo with oil, there is a chance that you could damage the turbo.

The volume isn't high enough to spin the turbo very much or fast. As pressure equalizes on both the fresh air in side as the charged intake side, the turbine will no longer have a "driving force" turning it.
When you shut your truck down, the turbine will still be spinning even though the gear driven oil pump has stopped supplying the turbo, there would be higher turbine speeds and duration during this time than doing an intake system test to equalization.

RE: Testing your intake for leaks. - Rawze - 11-11-2017

(11-11-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  My only concern with this boost leak tester is since you are constantly pushing air through the turbo, the turbo will be rotating. Since the engine is not running and supplying the turbo with oil, there is a chance that you could damage the turbo.

The way I do it, I block off the intake at the air cleaner and the exhaust right behind the turbo. No air can escape the engine at all (with the exception of any leaks that need to be fixed somewhere), and no air is flowing at any rate. It is simply building a pressure in the engine and systems. turbo never moves.