Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away (/showthread.php?tid=2290)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - Shokar92 - 10-23-2017

Hi I have a Cummins ISX15 2013 485HP in my Peterbilt 587. So I do trucking and farming also. I parked my truck for 3 months and then started it and everything was fine and did an oil change and didnt start it and let it sit for another week. did not touch the diesel side of it. Now the truck cranks over and starts for 1 second and turns off. I do not have any equipment or close to any dealer because its located in a farm in rural area. Things I have done is change all 4 batteries. I checked the fuse at battery box also when I unplug it a light comes up on my dash and when i plug it back in it goes away. The lift pump was tested by unhooking the hose at the filter and getting the lift pump to suck up diesel from a cup just to see if it was actually doing anything. It's sucking it up. I tried using starting fluid but it still doesn't start. One of tenant's living next to where the truck was parked said it made a loud electrical noise when it was parked there. I don't know if they heard the brakes lock up when the air dryer sneezes.. I am now changing the diesel filters.. and possibly the lift pump.. because its 400 bucks only compared to the 4k high pressure diesel pump. There is a recall on the high pressure pump. Cummins probably won't cover it anymore if that was the problem.. but idk.

The truck has 372822 miles on it
and was rebuilt by cummins under warranty at 70,000 miles
only issue i had was DPF. I followed Rawzes other blogs and changed all the sensors related to that.
The last issue I can remember was the lights wouldn't turn off when I shutting my driver side door but then i unplugged my batteries and it just went away. That was when I parked it 3 months ago.. I believe the ECM is working fine because the lift pump turns on and all the lights still work on my dash.

RE: Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - hhow55 - 10-24-2017

(10-23-2017 )Shokar92 Wrote:  Hi I have a Cummins ISX15 2013 485HP in my Peterbilt 587. So I do trucking and farming also. I parked my truck for 3 months and then started it and everything was fine and did an oil change and didnt start it and let it sit for another week. did not touch the diesel side of it. Now the truck cranks over and starts for 1 second and turns off. I do not have any equipment or close to any dealer because its located in a farm in rural area. Things I have done is change all 4 batteries. I checked the fuse at battery box also when I unplug it a light comes up on my dash and when i plug it back in it goes away. The lift pump was tested by unhooking the hose at the filter and getting the lift pump to suck up diesel from a cup just to see if it was actually doing anything. It's sucking it up. I tried using starting fluid but it still doesn't start. One of tenant's living next to where the truck was parked said it made a loud electrical noise when it was parked there. I don't know if they heard the brakes lock up when the air dryer sneezes.. I am now changing the diesel filters.. and possibly the lift pump.. because its 400 bucks only compared to the 4k high pressure diesel pump. There is a recall on the high pressure pump. Cummins probably won't cover it anymore if that was the problem.. but idk.

The truck has 372822 miles on it
and was rebuilt by cummins under warranty at 70,000 miles
only issue i had was DPF. I followed Rawzes other blogs and changed all the sensors related to that.
The last issue I can remember was the lights wouldn't turn off when I shutting my driver side door but then i unplugged my batteries and it just went away. That was when I parked it 3 months ago.. I believe the ECM is working fine because the lift pump turns on and all the lights still work on my dash.

Check for voltage on your fuel solenoid, with the key turned on. It could also be the truck's maxi fuse.

RE: Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - t700 - 10-24-2017

Had a similar problem.
It turned out to be the Cam Position sensor.
We removed sensor cleaned then the truck started.
Also replaced the sensor only around $25

T700

RE: Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - schISM - 10-24-2017

Kinda sounds like your turbo actuator is stuck in the overclosed position choking off the exhaust. If she won't fire on ether it aint sucking cuz it can't blow.
There's a thread on here about it, loosen the turbo mounting nuts and see if it will start.

RE: Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - Mr Hagg - 10-24-2017

There has been some good info of maybes here but you really need someone with a computer to check fuel rail pressure and RPM to make sure you are getting those. With out that you may spend hours trying to figure it out. Does the dash show any kind of codes?

RE: Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - Rawze - 10-24-2017

Yup, welcome to the age of engines with computers. Without some kind of way to connect to it and see why its crying,.. you will be lost.

RE: Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - Seyer76 - 10-26-2017

Try schism suggestion but remove the flex pipe between egr cooler and manifold insted
Had a 2012 Volvo with isx yesterday almost same prob run for 1-2 second and die even with eather
Like he said it won't suck if it can't blow
If it start then remove turbo actuator to confirm if vgt is frozen in close position

RE: Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - Shokar92 - 10-30-2017

Anyone know where I can buy Insite from a reliable site from China that works properly?

RE: Cummins ISX15 2013 won't start and cranks over and turns off right away - Waterloo - 10-31-2017

I bought mine from one of the Hong Kong sellers on eBay. I've seen them under $300 lately for the Inline 5.