Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Clutch brake - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Clutch brake (/showthread.php?tid=2368)

Pages: 1 2

Clutch brake - Genovese45 - 11-09-2017

Hey fellas. I have an 08 Pete with an Eaton fuller 8ll. For the past month I have been having problems putting the truck in gear. It would scratch going in. A few other drivers suggested it could be the clutch brake. My clutch had normal operation. It just would grind going in to gear. Last night I got a new clam shell style clutch brake installed and now when I press he brake her is major vibration in he pedal when it's fully pushed down. The mechanic told me that it's normal on some trucks. But prior to I didn't have any issues. Do you think he screwed something up. It now goes into gear smoothly but it pulsates when I push in the clutch violently. Then it stops. Any suggestions?

RE: Clutch brake - Waterloo - 11-09-2017

That is not normal. Not much to these clutch brakes that one can screw up, it sounds like it is an adjustment issue. I bet he just installed and skipped adjusting your linkage. Or, there is damage to the faceplate, but he should have caught that. Should have...

RE: Clutch brake - dodges1515 - 11-09-2017

If you take clutch cover off,and shine bright light inside clutch cavity and watch what the clutch brake is doing during a release cycle you will learn more on it's issue,maybe it is oscillating do to inadequate lube ? My first questing would be was the original brake a one piece or two piece? A lot of damage to input shaft and other clutch components has been caused in the past when people remove 1 piece brake because they can be a bastard to get them to break to remove them, I see most people use a air hammer to break them often small frags can lodge into pressure plate area or ? Shaft nicks very common ... The two faces should fairly smooth but not dry,small amount of lube their is what is recommended there. The pull tabs on the fork to bearing around an 1/8 ish, around 1/2 between the 2 faces.. with clutch pedal up you should be able to slide brake smoothly on input shaft... Set the 1/2 on brake first then linkage... which clam did you use there are oversize thickness ones also,look at linkage to see if it has been adjusted this will give you insight also...just my 2

RE: Clutch brake - Genovese45 - 11-09-2017

Thanks guys. I'm not mechanically inclined at all. I'm taking it to the dealer tonight and I will keep you posted. I am not confident enough to try anything on the truck yet. Not yet. It was terrifying replacing a coolant hose, but it was a success. :) thanks for the speedy responses

RE: Clutch brake - Brock - 11-09-2017

(11-09-2017 )Genovese45 Wrote:  I'm not mechanically inclined at all. I'm taking it to the dealer tonight

Why such foul language? Lol

It was the original one piece and the replacement is a 2 piece

(11-09-2017 )dodges1515 Wrote:  If you take clutch cover off,and shine bright light inside clutch cavity and watch what the clutch brake is doing during a release cycle you will learn more on it's issue,maybe it is oscillating do to inadequate lube ? My first questing would be was the original brake a one piece or two piece? A lot of damage to input shaft and other clutch components has been caused in the past when people remove 1 piece brake because they can be a bastard to get them to break to remove them, I see most people use a air hammer to break them often small frags can lodge into pressure plate area or ? Shaft nicks very common ... The two faces should fairly smooth but not dry,small amount of lube their is what is recommended there. The pull tabs on the fork to bearing around an 1/8 ish, around 1/2 between the 2 faces.. with clutch pedal up you should be able to slide brake smoothly on input shaft... Set the 1/2 on brake first then linkage... which clam did you use there are oversize thickness ones also,look at linkage to see if it has been adjusted this will give you insight also...just my 2

Ok. Just left the dealer. They said they saw nothing wrong. They greased the throw out bearing and told me that it could be signs of my clutch going. He said that it was in adjustment and maybe it's just how the two piece feels. He also added that the vibration is so minor that had I not complained. He wouldn't have noticed it. I still don't like the way it feels.

RE: Clutch brake - Magard - 11-10-2017

Drive it. As long as through out bearing it’s howling. Replacement clutch is close to 3 grand. I just had one put in. $3200. Big clutch.

RE: Clutch brake - Hammerhead - 11-10-2017

(11-10-2017 )Magard Wrote:  Drive it. As long as through out bearing it’s howling. Replacement clutch is close to 3 grand. I just had one put in. $3200. Big clutch.

Wow! I paid $1200 for a 2250ft/lbs Lipe.
Mind you, I'll be doing the install myself when this little rush is over.