Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
ISX 475 oil leak - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: ISX 475 oil leak (/showthread.php?tid=2717)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

ISX 475 oil leak - s53s - 02-05-2018

Hi, I am in South Africa, I recently purchased a 9800i international truck 2002 ISX 475
The truck is leaking on the tappet cover when it goes for trips 300km with loads 30 tonnes plus , whenever we fix the leak and test drive it without a load there's no leaking.
The driver says to me the leak gets worse when he puts Jake brakes on. The last leak we fixed caused the oil to come out through the breather instead,
A mechanic thinks its the rings the previous owner says he did the rings and sleeves 2 years ago and it can't be. Another opinion says it might have a crack on a piston.when the leak occurs its about 4litres of oil.

Please assist

RE: ISX 475 oil leak - Signature620 - 02-05-2018

Can we get some photos?

RE: ISX 475 oil leak - Rawze - 02-05-2018

make sure the crank case can breathe well. Make sure the breather tube is clear and that nothing is trapped int he pipe. If there is a crank case filter, make sure it is clean, or it has been drilled out to prevent pressure buildup in the engine.

RE: ISX 475 oil leak - Chamberpains - 02-05-2018

Being that it's a first-generation ISX they don't have exactly breather filters. I believe it is a steel wool or Brillo pad type of filter on the inside of the rocker cover. Make sure that steel wool is inside there. If it's not all that is is just one big gaping hole that oil can shoot out of the breather tube down to the ground.

RE: ISX 475 oil leak - s53s - 02-05-2018

(02-05-2018 )Signature620 Wrote:  Can we get some photos?
Thank you so much, the truck went out of town forba trip I will surely send them

(02-05-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  make sure the crank case can breathe well. Make sure the breather tube is clear and that nothing is trapped int he pipe. If there is a crank case filter, make sure it is clean, or it has been drilled out to prevent pressure buildup in the engine.
Thank you the pipe blows smoke while the truck idles meaning its open. We changed all filters but I'm not sure which one is the crank case filter also where can we drill, the driver says going up hill it loses power

(02-05-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Being that it's a first-generation ISX they don't have exactly breather filters. I believe it is a steel wool or Brillo pad type of filter on the inside of the rocker cover. Make sure that steel wool is inside there. If it's not all that is is just one big gaping hole that oil can shoot out of the breather tube down to the ground.
Thank you so much I did not see any wool in the tapet cover.

(02-05-2018 )s53s Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  make sure the crank case can breathe well. Make sure the breather tube is clear and that nothing is trapped int he pipe. If there is a crank case filter, make sure it is clean, or it has been drilled out to prevent pressure buildup in the engine.
Thank you the pipe blows smoke while the truck idles meaning its open. We changed all filters but I'm not sure which one is the crank case filter also where can we drill, the driver says going up hill it loses power

With all due respect a friend just said to me Generation 1 ISX engines Dont have a crank case filter is this true?

(02-05-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Being that it's a first-generation ISX they don't have exactly breather filters. I believe it is a steel wool or Brillo pad type of filter on the inside of the rocker cover. Make sure that steel wool is inside there. If it's not all that is is just one big gaping hole that oil can shoot out of the breather tube down to the ground.

No the breather pipe is connected to the front cover of the engine next to the fan hub