Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Buying a truck question - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Buying a truck question (/showthread.php?tid=3135)

Buying a truck question - Explosia - 05-26-2018

I’ve been reading on this site for a few months, thanks to Rawze and all of the forum members I feel like I am prepared and ready to buy. I’m in the market for a 2350 and plan to do all of the preventive measures for this engine. When searching for a truck the “must have” has been a thermoking apu. When I find a truck I’m interested in, it’s sold before I can look at it. Trucks with apu’s are scarce and go quick, it’s tough in a sellers market. So a few questions:

I plan to demandate whatever I buy, so is it imperative I get an apu? I plan to keep it for approximately 2-3 years then buy new and properly maintain that truck for a couple million miles. So would it be a bad idea to idle a demandated engine?

I found a laptop that would be dedicated for insite, but it’s 1.83GHz, 1.5 DDR2, and 80GB. Is only 1.5 of ram good enough?

What is the build date between the 2250 and 2350? I recall hearing it was may ‘13? Where do I find where it is labeled?

RE: Buying a truck question - imalumberjack - 05-26-2018

(05-26-2018 )Explosia Wrote:  I’ve been reading on this site for a few months, thanks to Rawze and all of the forum members I feel like I am prepared and ready to buy. I’m in the market for a 2350 and plan to do all of the preventive measures for this engine. When searching for a truck the “must have” has been a thermoking apu. When I find a truck I’m interested in, it’s sold before I can look at it. Trucks with apu’s are scarce and go quick, it’s tough in a sellers market. So a few questions:

I plan to demandate whatever I buy, so is it imperative I get an apu? I plan to keep it for approximately 2-3 years then buy new and properly maintain that truck for a couple million miles. So would it be a bad idea to idle a demandated engine?

I found a laptop that would be dedicated for insite, but it’s 1.83GHz, 1.5 DDR2, and 80GB. Is only 1.5 of ram good enough?

What is the build date between the 2250 and 2350? I recall hearing it was may ‘13? Where do I find where it is labeled?
I have a 2013 pete it has cm2250. I found the build date (which was 2010) but I forget where I found it .... either cummins quick serve when I typed in s/n or its on tag on valve cover? I do know it says right on driver side valve cover what model (as in 2250 or 2350)

RE: Buying a truck question - rrod - 05-27-2018

I think having an APU would be a lot better than idling. The money spent idling is a lot.

RE: Buying a truck question - Waterloo - 05-27-2018

Why are you looking for a 2350? Personally, I would be afraid to own one with the fuel pump and liner issues. It is a very real crap shoot out here with these newer emission trucks.

Speaking of new trucks, Mr Hagg has a KW 660 for sale in his parking lot, he just went through the motor and fixed the issues. It is either a 2250 or 2350, very clean inside and has the 83" sleeper. No power windows though, but that can be fixed. I believe he is asking $30,000, has good rubber too. No APU though, but at least the truck is mechanically sound.

As far as the APU, I would not own a truck without one, especially an emissions truck. I like the Thermo King units, parts are readily available and there are TK shops just about everywhere. Others will disagree, but it is a simple solution with the least headaches that I know of.

RE: Buying a truck question - schISM - 05-27-2018

(05-26-2018 )Explosia Wrote:  I plan to demandate whatever I buy, so is it imperative I get an apu? I plan to keep it for approximately 2-3 years then buy new and properly maintain that truck for a couple million miles. So would it be a bad idea to idle a demandated engine?

If you plan on the custom tune route there are ways to get the idle fuel down to a point that negates any roi you may get from an apu especially if you only keep the truck for 2-3 years

(05-26-2018 )Explosia Wrote:  I found a laptop that would be dedicated for insite, but it’s 1.83GHz, 1.5 DDR2, and 80GB. Is only 1.5 of ram good enough?

That should be fine for a dedicated laptop

(05-26-2018 )Explosia Wrote:  What is the build date between the 2250 and 2350? I recall hearing it was may ‘13? Where do I find where it is labeled?

The tag on the ecm will tell ya if it's a 2350.

RE: Buying a truck question - Explosia - 05-27-2018

(05-27-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  Why are you looking for a 2350? Personally, I would be afraid to own one with the fuel pump and liner issues. It is a very real crap shoot out here with these newer emission trucks.

I would like a 2350 because the company I’m leased with has great paying loads that go to California. Plus my wife drives and we team intermittently every other month or so. I wouldn’t mind owning a 870/871 but the ones I’ve looked at are wore out and after reading about crapshoot overhauls I’m a bit leery. You of all people should understand that lol.

(05-27-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  As far as the APU, I would not own a truck without one, especially an emissions truck. I like the Thermo King units, parts are readily available and there are TK shops just about everywhere. Others will disagree, but it is a simple solution with the least headaches that I know of.

Yes I agree and so does many others, hence the reason it’s tough to find a clean truck with a TK.

RE: Buying a truck question - Explosia - 05-27-2018

(05-27-2018 )schISM Wrote:  
(05-26-2018 )Explosia Wrote:  I plan to demandate whatever I buy, so is it imperative I get an apu? I plan to keep it for approximately 2-3 years then buy new and properly maintain that truck for a couple million miles. So would it be a bad idea to idle a demandated engine?

If you plan on the custom tune route there are ways to get the idle fuel down to a point that negates any roi you may get from an apu especially if you only keep the truck for 2-3 years

(05-26-2018 )Explosia Wrote:  I found a laptop that would be dedicated for insite, but it’s 1.83GHz, 1.5 DDR2, and 80GB. Is only 1.5 of ram good enough?

That should be fine for a dedicated laptop

(05-26-2018 )Explosia Wrote:  What is the build date between the 2250 and 2350? I recall hearing it was may ‘13? Where do I find where it is labeled?

The tag on the ecm will tell ya if it's a 2350.

Great info, thanks just what I was wanting advise on. Many more choices without an apu, I may go that route. On another note, I read in another post you mentioning look for the white mark on the oil filter housing for updated o rings. I haven’t read about this. Is there a service bulletin about the oem o rings?

RE: Buying a truck question - Nilao - 05-27-2018

It's actually an updated oil bypass valve, not orings. The old plastic plunger style was prone to getting stuck open bypassing unfiltered pillows to the engine.