Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
My Pete rebuild - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Your Daily Blog (/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: My Pete rebuild (/showthread.php?tid=3217)

RE: My Pete rebuild - pearce trucking - 09-17-2018

I did my e-6, tp-5, and dc-4, along with all lines from that manifold in your picture out. Included tranny supply, seat air, all the air tank and dryer lines, lines going to the abs, the tractor air suspension, the horn, the fifth wheel slide, power divider, and tractor leveling valve. also replaced the cab leveling valve as it was falling apart. The lines in the dash, the line to the fan clutch, and a couple lines around the drive axles are all that isn't new. Also replaced all the fittings and the bulkhead fittings. A little bit of a pain, but I found a few badly worn lines that would have leaked shortly, and my E-6 was making noise so that I was pretty sure it was going, and my tp-5 wasn't doing its job. So since the tranny, drive shafts, and exhaust were out, I figured "while I'm there..."

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 09-17-2018

(09-17-2018 )pearce trucking Wrote:  I did my e-6, tp-5, and dc-4, along with all lines from that manifold in your picture out. Included tranny supply, seat air, all the air tank and dryer lines, lines going to the abs, the tractor air suspension, the horn, the fifth wheel slide, power divider, and tractor leveling valve. also replaced the cab leveling valve as it was falling apart. The lines in the dash, the line to the fan clutch, and a couple lines around the drive axles are all that isn't new. Also replaced all the fittings and the bulkhead fittings. A little bit of a pain, but I found a few badly worn lines that would have leaked shortly, and my E-6 was making noise so that I was pretty sure it was going, and my tp-5 wasn't doing its job. So since the tranny, drive shafts, and exhaust were out, I figured "while I'm there..."

I run into things - like the seat air for example, that I have no clue to the why... It currently comes off a pressure protection valve mounted on the e-6. But then there's an air seat output on the manifold that's plugged. Why? is there some advantage or reason? That's one of the protection valves that's leaking, so is there a benefit the way it is that I shouldn't just remove it completely and run the line from the manifold port already labeled air seat?

On another note, I put the passenger window down for the first time, and see that it goes between the panes on the view window... What a stupid design. With as much as I still need to do with the truck, I'm wishing I had just bought something from the 90's.

RE: My Pete rebuild - ZeroNthedark - 09-17-2018

[/quote]
On another note, I put the passenger window down for the first time, and see that it goes between the panes on the view window... What a stupid design. With as much as I still need to do with the truck, I'm wishing I had just bought something from the 90's.
[/quote]

Just wait until that peep window seal starts leaking. Mine gets so dirty you can barely see out of sometimes. Have to pry it out to clean it.

RE: My Pete rebuild - kryten - 09-17-2018

(09-17-2018 )pearce trucking Wrote:  "while I'm there..."

The three most expensive words in the English language.

RE: My Pete rebuild - dhirocz - 09-17-2018

I thought the 3 most expensive words were "not right now"...?

RE: My Pete rebuild - pearce trucking - 09-18-2018

(09-17-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
(09-17-2018 )pearce trucking Wrote:  I did my e-6, tp-5, and dc-4, along with all lines from that manifold in your picture out. Included tranny supply, seat air, all the air tank and dryer lines, lines going to the abs, the tractor air suspension, the horn, the fifth wheel slide, power divider, and tractor leveling valve. also replaced the cab leveling valve as it was falling apart. The lines in the dash, the line to the fan clutch, and a couple lines around the drive axles are all that isn't new. Also replaced all the fittings and the bulkhead fittings. A little bit of a pain, but I found a few badly worn lines that would have leaked shortly, and my E-6 was making noise so that I was pretty sure it was going, and my tp-5 wasn't doing its job. So since the tranny, drive shafts, and exhaust were out, I figured "while I'm there..."

I run into things - like the seat air for example, that I have no clue to the why... It currently comes off a pressure protection valve mounted on the e-6. But then there's an air seat output on the manifold that's plugged. Why? is there some advantage or reason? That's one of the protection valves that's leaking, so is there a benefit the way it is that I shouldn't just remove it completely and run the line from the manifold port already labeled air seat?

My seats are plumbed the same way. I replaced the check valve as well. And my manifold has the plug also. No idea why they do it that way unless there's no valve in the dash and they decided to mount it on the E6 as an afterthought. I dunno.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 09-20-2018

Not a lot to update other than a lot of packages showed up today, and the rest will be here Monday. New air bags, shocks, torque rods, leveling valve, hopefully enough air tubing to do everything, & new brake cans all around - I looked into Lifeseal, but I decided to go with MGM brand. There's only spring chambers on the front drive, and I was going to add them to the rear axle, but I figured what the heck, it's easier to get to everything on the side of the road like it is. A little bit of "needed" chrome, er stainless, roof wraps to cover the fairing mount holes, battery box skins, and a front bumper.

I'll have to do some homework on brake shoes, descriptions like "value" and "premium" don't tell me much, but still need to pull hubs and at minimum replace wheel seals, and the back driveshaft still needs to go for new u-joints, and a balance.

Fifth wheel is a Jost, and I was just about ready to order the whole assembly, but figured I'd wait to see if there's any other surprises I need to deal with first, but by the time I fight the pins out, replace the top plate, sandblast and paint the slider, I'd probably be further ahead to just swap it out for new.

Hopefully I can get the rear frame stripped and painted this weekend? Probably not, but wishful thinking. This project would go so much faster if I didn't have to work a full time job in the same space.

Started looking at tires, and priced out Hankook D11 drives @ $349.95 including FET. For that price, I think I'll give up on a matching set of Ecopias. I do think I'll go with Michelin steers, unless someone has had a good experience with Hankooks?

Time keeps ticking, and a December roll out isn't looking too promising.

RE: My Pete rebuild - pearce trucking - 09-21-2018

I painted my head today. I'm a little concerned. It doesn't seem as heavy duty as the old oem one. Knocking on it makes a sound more like a tuning fork than the dead thud of the oem. I dunno. I guess we'll see.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 09-21-2018

I never did a knock comparison, but it is touted as having a higher nickel content. My only complaint so far with it was a razor sharp piece of casting by one of the cams that I had to nip and file so that it would stop making me bleed lol.