Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
My Pete rebuild - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Your Daily Blog (/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: My Pete rebuild (/showthread.php?tid=3217)

RE: My Pete rebuild - Rawze - 02-15-2019

instead of putting so much effort into that cb (tonka-toy garbage illegal) crap,.. if you like radio and talking on them to help keep you occupied while driving, do it right... http://www.arrl.org/exam-practice

that way you can talk to guys running the road trains in aussie in the evenings, people over in japan and western asia in the wee hours of the mornings, guys over in the middle east as daylight breaks, and anywhere you want to in the usa +europe during daylight hours.

That is what I did on a daily basis when I was driving anyways.
[attachment=4656]

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 02-18-2019

Rebuilt rear is back in, along with a new yoke on the output shaft.

I picked up a 18" Merritt side box, and am trying to figure out the best way to secure it...

I refuse to drill any more holes in my frame, so I'm stuck with this pattern:

Of course, it misses the support areas, but I couldn't move it forward any more, or I wouldn't be able to remove the tank covers. Can't move it back any more, since limited real estate puts my spring mount in the way.

Working on a solution now.

RE: My Pete rebuild - ZeroNthedark - 02-19-2019

Have you looked at these?

https://www.4statetrucks.com/toolboxes/semi-truck-chassis-grabber-frame-mounting-system-no-drilling-needed_27793.asp

There's also one for 1'' taller frame. I have a set waiting to be installed with a new hydraulic tank to replace a leaking one, just can't get weather to cooperate.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 02-19-2019

(02-19-2019 )ZeroNthedark Wrote:  Have you looked at these?

https://www.4statetrucks.com/toolboxes/semi-truck-chassis-grabber-frame-mounting-system-no-drilling-needed_27793.asp

Yeah, but I have a top mount catwalk, and without removing material from the frame of it, it wouldn't sit flat. I ended up just using a couple pieces of 1/4" angle on the inside and moved on to trying to figure out 1) where I'm putting grab bars and airlines, and 2) where I'm going to get the grab handles lol. McMaster has stainless tubing and mounts, but the tubing is 2-3 weeks out. I'm down to the wire, and just a couple days away from scheduling inspections. I may have to make a trip to the junkyard and see if I can snag a couple.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 02-23-2019

Since I figured it would be a pretty cut and dry job, I procrastinated going over my steer axle. I didn't get new hubs, just figured I'd clean, put new seals on with the brakes and be done. Why do I even think positively about anything at this point?

Pulled the passenger wheel off to find it was a "special one" with threaded egg shaped holes... and two locating tabs fell off the hub.

Ok, let's see if at least the driver side is going to give me a break?

Not a drop of oil... I guess that's one way to prevent hub seal leaks?

RE: My Pete rebuild - Rawze - 02-23-2019

probably needs new bearings then too.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 02-23-2019

(02-23-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  probably needs new bearings then too.

It's getting the conmet loaded hubs. The bearings actually didn't look too bad but it's all going in the scrap pile.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 03-12-2019

Hopefully the last time on a hook for a long, long time... Going for the enhanced inspection so I can finally run this thing down the road.

If everything goes as planned, I should be able to get plates on it tomorrow and pick up my trailer on the way home.

RE: My Pete rebuild - ChicagoDiesel - 03-12-2019

Do you have a mechanical background. Maintaining machinery like Rawze?

Im a city kid so i never had access to space or the money to work on anything. I was 23 when I bought my first car and learned how to change the oil and replace small parts. That's as far a my mechanical aptitude went before I started driving trucks.

I want to learn to work on my truck but I just feel like l lack the basic skills. Im always afraid im going to break a nut or bolt and wont be able to take it out.

Taking the plunge this year though. I'm pretty good with reading manuals and applying what I learn it's just that I have this fear that im going to break something. The fact that there's a youtube video for just about everything gives me a little more confidence that when I break something it wont be the end of the world.

Is that how you guys learned? Just trial and error.

Also, where did you buy your ISX? Im in the market for a crate cm570 and was wondering if you know of a good place.

Trucks looking great btw