Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
My Pete rebuild - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Your Daily Blog (/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: My Pete rebuild (/showthread.php?tid=3217)

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 01-02-2020

Has anyone ever checked or recorded piston protrusion? It's not listed anywhere on quickserve.

RE: My Pete rebuild - tree98 - 01-02-2020

Shouldn't need to right? As long as your rods and pistons measure the same length as OEM, you should be good. What makes you think about this?

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 01-02-2020

Because I've been overthinking EVERYTHING and the next step is to slap the head on this thing lol. That and Rawze has mentioned compression ratios more than once, I was more curious than anything.

Also curious on these anti-polish rings - I'd think they'd just be asking to fret the head.

I just know that the next time the tops of these pistons are visible, there's a very good chance that I'm going to be filling the liners with tannerite.

RE: My Pete rebuild - tree98 - 01-02-2020

I've thought the same thing about those rings.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Rawze - 01-03-2020

I have not seen it yet. Only fretting I see is when there are also liner issues.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Lonestar10 - 01-03-2020

280k on overhaul with a head that was reused when previous owners overhauled it there wasn't a single scratch on it from those rings

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 01-03-2020

Huh, who'da thunk it since they're essentially free to dance around. Measuring my old gasket crush at approx .080", the rings have approx a .063" protrusion from the liner flange, leaving .017" of free space.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Rawze - 01-04-2020

(01-03-2020 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Huh, who'da thunk it since they're essentially free to dance around. Measuring my old gasket crush at approx .080", the rings have approx a .063" protrusion from the liner flange, leaving .017" of free space.

makes me wonder if aftermarket gasket is thicker?. that could explain a lot of compression differences. - old isx used to have thicker gasket and 'fire rings' installed the gasket to keep the combustion gasses in.

RE: My Pete rebuild - Nostalgic - 01-04-2020

I guess it's possible, but if the IPD gasket was thicker, it would have reduced compression to some degree. I didn't mic the Cummins HG, not that it would matter without a before/after measurement, and I really don't want to open this thing up again...ever lol.

I did 150', then did two sets of 300' before calling it a night.

One nice thing about the OE Cummins kit (and head), is the USA markings on everything. I don't think it was always like that, but I don't think there was anything in the crate that didn't list US as the origin.