Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Short hauls and idle time on a farm. Opinions? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Short hauls and idle time on a farm. Opinions? (/showthread.php?tid=3581)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Short hauls and idle time on a farm. Opinions? - schISM - 10-04-2018

(10-03-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Farming has never been about fancy and shiney.

That made me chuckle a little bit, check out Iowa Plains Farms https://m.facebook.com/IowaPlainsFarms/ Some farmers here in the Midwest are living pretty large.

RE: Short hauls and idle time on a farm. Opinions? - smorgan87 - 10-04-2018

I personally run a demandated 871 for ag work. 600hp eaton 13. I get good service from her.

RE: Short hauls and idle time on a farm. Opinions? - NBFarms - 10-04-2018

Chamberlains and schISM- it does make for some interesting decisions... people/landlords like seeing some shine and well maintained equipment but I do tend to lean towards making sure reliability is placed well ahead of looks. What good is a shiny new piece of equipment sitting in the shop or broken in the field or even on fire!

(10-04-2018 )smorgan87 Wrote:  I personally run a demandated 871 for ag work. 600hp eaton 13. I get good service from her.

What state/states are you operating in, if you don’t mind? I do prefer to keep a clear conscience and I don’t enjoy the thought of breaking emissio rules- but I have read credible books on how overreaching, unethical, unscientific etc etc these las are and so my conscience is not bothered by running a demandated truck (as long as there are not fines and the truck is reliable!) I like the example Rawze gives of extra fuel being burned for “cleaner air” and it just makes sense to save as much fuel as possible.

RE: Short hauls and idle time on a farm. Opinions? - Nilao - 10-04-2018

I don't do farming but I do a lot of California hauling. I have been inspected by DOT and passed, CARB just waves me by any inspection places because it all looks to be there and I have the clean dle sticker. I'll take the chance ,it fails that you get a fix it ticket. But being I'm domiciled elsewhere I don't see how they could make me come to their state for a test. Just don't volunteer any info and no one will care. All my lights come on during the key on self test and go back off. The piping and sensors are all there and plugged in and I have no check engine lights nor codes stored in the ecm just in case they want to plug in to check.

(10-04-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  I don't do farming but I do a lot of California hauling...

Still running the ISX?

RE: Short hauls and idle time on a farm. Opinions? - smorgan87 - 10-05-2018

(10-04-2018 )NBFarms Wrote:  
(10-04-2018 )smorgan87 Wrote:  I personally run a demandated 871 for ag work. 600hp eaton 13. I get good service from her.

What state/states are you operating in...

LA, MS, TX, AR, MO, OK, KS. I personally dont go thru scales but theres plenty guys on here that are inspected regularly and pass. Keep the equipment attached and just hollow it out and put in block off plates to make it look legit. They can be tuned to pass puff tests and i believe even pass a sniffer.

RE: Short hauls and idle time on a farm. Opinions? - Nilao - 10-05-2018

Yes sir, still running the 871. Almost a million miles on the truck now. 300k in the inframe.

RE: Short hauls and idle time on a farm. Opinions? - Chamberpains - 10-05-2018

Allow math to guide you. If your saving 10's of thousands of $$ in fuel and breakdown costs a year you can pay a lot of fines with that $$. Save and plan for the chance you may need to revert. But I wouldn't lose to much sleep worrying about it. There are more than enough of us out here keeping our businesses profitable and the air still as breathable as ever without those business killing systems operational. Just take a little effort to keep everything looking right and don't piss off anyone that might care and you'll cruise around anywhere you want to go without problems.