Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Check engine light - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Check engine light (/showthread.php?tid=4012)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Check engine light - triumph166 - 01-17-2019

Anyone seen or know what this check engine light is?Its a 2012 Volvo VNL with a Cummins ISX cm2250 it came on 2 times today for about 30 seconds at a time and went away on its own. truck is running fine. I called a Volvo dealer and showed them the picture and they didn't know. if the picture doesn't show up ill try again, Im new to this.

http://tinypic.com/r/24w5b81/9

RE: Check engine light - Waterloo - 01-17-2019

You need to see what the code is. Do you know about the fuel pumps on these motors? That would be my first concern, was it tripping a fuel pressure code. I do not own one of these motors, but I believe that the first signs of pump failure are intermittent CEL warnings. You better get it to a dealer that can read the code ASAP! Unless you have $10,000 to $30,000 burning a hole in your pocket. Seriously, take care of this, like yesterday.

RE: Check engine light - triumph166 - 01-17-2019

(01-17-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  You need to see what the code is. Do you know about the fuel pumps on these motors? That would be my first concern, was it tripping a fuel pressure code. I do not own one of these motors, but I believe that the first signs of pump failure are intermittent CEL warnings. You better get it to a dealer that can read the code ASAP! Unless you have $10,000 to $30,000 burning a hole in your pocket. Seriously, take care of this, like yesterday.

I most defiantly don't have $10k-$30k in my pocket like I wish I did! on my dash display there is no messages at all? like I said it only happened for 30 seconds and went away. the check engine flashed for the 30 seconds and was gone. The dealer said if there is no messages and it went away then keep driving it? But then again they have never seen that check engine light on before sooo. idk. and no im new to this motor, so I don't know much on the fuel pumps.

RE: Check engine light - imalumberjack - 01-17-2019

Do you remember if you were pulling a hill? long grade? code should be stored even if light went out.

RE: Check engine light - Waterloo - 01-17-2019

(01-17-2019 )triumph166 Wrote:  
(01-17-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  You need to see what the code is. Do you know about the fuel pumps on these motors? That would be my first concern, was it tripping a fuel pressure code. I do not own one of these motors, but I believe that the first signs of pump failure are intermittent CEL warnings. You better get it to a dealer that can read the code ASAP! Unless you have $10,000 to $30,000 burning a hole in your pocket. Seriously, take care of this, like yesterday.

I most defiantly don't have $10k-$30k in my pocket like I wish I did! on my dash display there is no messages at all? like I said it only happened for 30 seconds and went away. the check engine flashed for the 30 seconds and was gone. The dealer said if there is no messages and it went away then keep driving it? But then again they have never seen that check engine light on before sooo. idk. and no im new to this motor, so I don't know much on the fuel pumps.

Did the dealer put the computer on it? If not, get it someplace you can get a reading. Pay the $100 if you have too, it may just save your bacon. SERIOUSLY. Do not screw around with this hoping it is something like a sensor. If you have not rebuilt that fuel pump, and or have any History on it, you need to do this. And do it NOW.

I have been a victim, not a fuel pump, but just as grave. $80,000 +++++, just Ask Rawze.

I have earned the right to be paranoid... You do not want to go there.

RE: Check engine light - triumph166 - 01-17-2019

(01-17-2019 )imalumberjack Wrote:  Do you remember if you were pulling a hill? long grade? code should be stored even if light went out.
The first time it happened was when I was shifting from a stop sign, 35mph or so it came on. I weighed 80k lbs. the second time it came on I was doing 57 (as in the pic) and I was not loaded on flat ground. I’ll have to take it to get scanned tomorrow and find out what they find.

RE: Check engine light - Volvo8873 - 01-17-2019

I do get that display icon on my 2005 Volvo D12 when I hit the switch to prime the fuel system after a fuel filter change. Always thought it meant that it was a sign that it was purging the air from the fuel system. But what do not know... I never do get a code from that and I have PTT software to look for one also.

EDIT:

I am 99.8% sure that it came on also when I changed my main filter out on my 2011 Volvo with 2250 ISX. It came on automatically when I turned the key on to prime the system. I have only changed the main filter once since owning the truck and it was last February. It has been parked for the last 6 months. So I am a little vague on remembering it.

RE: Check engine light - Rawze - 01-18-2019

(01-17-2019 )triumph166 Wrote:  Anyone seen or know what this check engine light is?Its a 2012 Volvo VNL with a Cummins ISX cm2250 it came on 2 times today for about 30 seconds at a time and went away on its own. truck is running fine. I called a Volvo dealer and showed them the picture and they didn't know. if the picture doesn't show up ill try again, Im new to this.

http://tinypic.com/r/24w5b81/9

I thought Volvo had a menu where you could get actual code?.

You need to take the advice of others here, espcially when it comes to an intermittent code that only occurs when getting on the throttle. -- I know guys who get CEL light for low fuel pressure only to find out their engine destroyed itself a few hundred miles later because they ignored the dreaded "559" intermittent code of complete engine destruction after the fuel pump plungers fail.

Reference -- http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1805&pid=15389#pid15389

RE: Check engine light - triumph166 - 01-18-2019

http://tinypic.com/r/1448sr9/9 here is the codes. sorry I've only had this truck a few months and haven't had any reason to look for a diagnose so long story short Volvo does have a menu where it shows the codes. so far from what I've looked up its water in the fuel. I drained my water/fuel separator so maybe that will help? either way I learned something new and im going to check/rebuild the fuel pump since the truck has 637k miles and I don't have the history on the truck. but like I've been saying the truck has been running great with no issues, hasn't used any oil in the 6,000 miles I've owed it but I see what you guys are saying about the fuel pump so ill be looking into it. Thanks guys!