Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. (/showthread.php?tid=4215)

Pages: 1 2 3

Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - Rilloroc - 03-01-2019

Let me start by saying that I did not do the proper research before purchasing, or even soon after purchasing. I'm here now though. I have had multiple emission codes for the entire 9 months I've owned this truck. 2014 Kenworth T680 with 2013 ISX15 2350 rated at 400hp with a 13 spd, 454000 miles at time of purchase, 575000 miles now..
About a month after buying it, the light started coming on. I would stop to get it looked at and there would be multiple codes related to the DPF, but none would be showing active. I never saw a decrease in performance or mileage at this time. Averaged about 5.8 per gallon, which was much less than I expected. A couple of weeks later, in June of last year, it needed a parked regen and then derated a few hours later. I took it to Cummins in Amarillo where they scanned and saw the codes, looked it over and said it was way past time for a DPF system cleaning. 10 days and a high 4 figures later it was ready for pickup. Performance felt about the same to me but the fuel mileage increased to high 8's low 9's. 2 days later the codes came back but performance and fuel mileage were unaffected. Sometimes the lights on sometimes not. Nothing ever showing active when they scan it. Sometimes a "Derate in 3 hours" shows up on the screen, but only for a second or two. Then goes away. Occasionally it will show a different time limit. "8 hours", "27 minutes", but usually "3 hours". It never actually derates though. And again, that message only lasts a second or 2.
In November, I started noticing a loss in power. I immediately started to head back to town before I could get to far away. When I shut it down, that was it. It would start up like normal, run for about a second then die like it was starving. I had it towed to Summit Kenworth in Amarillo. After about 2 weeks they say the problem is the wiring harnesses, both engine and cab, and both fuse boxes. I okay the work and a week later, that's in and the truck still wont start. Another week and they say the turbo and actuator is bad. I okay the work and another 2 weeks and the price of a low mileage, used Cadillac later, it runs.
I immediately notice a loss of power and fuel mileage drops back down to about 5.6mpg. I stop by to ask whats the business and they say it just needs to break in a bit. i also start to notice a scream periodically when I approach 1500rpm. Not everytime, but sometimes I hear what I think is a belt scream and the engine pull some. The closest I can compare it to is when I used to have an old oldsmobile with a 305 in it. When the A/C clutch would engage, the motor would pull down and the belt would throw a fit. It feels and sounds kind of like that sometimes when I get up to 1500rpm. Not everytime, but most. It will scream until I let off the throttle then go back to normal, and I can proceed or even exceed 1500 without trouble. So that's going on and the lights are still coming on. I take it back to Cummins in Amarillo to see if I can have better luck back over there.
They say the codes are because the sensors related to the codes are bad, and replace all those sensors for another damned obscene 4 digit number. No difference. 2 days later codes are back and the brought some of their friends. The new codes are occasionally showing active when scanned.
Last week I had enough, and decided to finally take my career serious. I read up and found this place. I picked up insite 7.6.2 and started poking around for myself. i notice that my dataplate on Quickserve doesn't match up with my dataplate on Insite. My engine, and quickserve show 400hp, ECM code EF10049. Insite is showing 475hp and EF10154.17.
4152,4151, and 3232 are the codes I've been getting for 9 months. The others are new arrivals. The truck has only asked for a regen twice in the 9 months and 120000 miles that I've owned it.
Any help would be appreciated, you may have to talk to me like I'm 2.
Rawze,I'm putting in the boost and pyro gauges Tuesday. Oil bypass also. Take it easy on me.

Edit: Let me add that I never took it anywhere asking to get power turned up or anything. Either it was like that when I bought it, or maybe Cummins or kenworth did it accidentally when I took it to them for repair.
[attachment=4686][attachment=4687][attachment=4688]

RE: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - Rawze - 03-02-2019

Wow, all I can say is that you got ripped off,.. multiple times.

Your description of the "squeal" sounds exactly like it is the turbo mounting gasket. Very common problem if someone makes a mistake when installing the turbo or uses a speed-gun instead of properly torquing it. - The morons at the stealershit likely torqued the thing improperly (or used a speed gun on it) and it blew-out. - Typical of going to the OEM to get anything done these days,.. they are the worst places you can take a truck any more.

====

It also sounds like they raked you over the coals and sold you a bunch of crap you did not need. entire wiring harnesses? -- what a complete crock of s#it,.. -- it was likely the turbo locked up at 100% or some other stupid thing and they threw parts at it until it magically fixed itself,.. all while selling you a bunch of expensive parts,..OEM "certified" places like that with their fancy signs and facilities are nothing but "expensive parts sellers" and nothing more. - your mistake was to take it to the most expensive, worst place you could have taken it to,.. then you proceeded to let them rape you in the arsse a few times and take all your profits for the year. - here is what you got in return...

[attachment=4692]

I.E.> Welcome to the pink dildo club!.

=============

Anyhow,. ..

A compare of the 2 programs 18,000+ settings against each other. The EF10049 and the EF10154 programs are 100% compatible with each other. Literally the only differences between them is the HP, torque, and the fact that the EF10154 program has smart torque disabled. - Using one for the other will not cause any emissions issues. You can safely rule out the programming as a cause.

Next question is if anyone has bothered to replace the recommended sensors like the IMAP, exhaust gas press. sensor, EGR Delta-P, and cleaned out the egr system/egr valve. those things will cause repeating problems. Also, obviously, the turbo mounting gasket (or whatever other gasket is squealing) needs replacing and the entire engine pressurized and checked for intake, egr, and exhaust leaks.

Next is the Doser injector and ensuring it is less than 250k miles old and/or has anyone bothered to clean the tip/spray nozzle for it?.

After that, is the inspection of the decomp tube and the inspection of the DEf injector, etc.

Lastly, the NOx sensors and DPF Delta-P sensor are only good for about 200-300k miles typically before they read incorrectly. They don;t throw codes,.. they just start making regen and other ghost complaints.

RE: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - Rilloroc - 03-02-2019

Receipt wise, those sensors and the doser are all new. At this point I don't know that I believe it though. I'll go through and do the egr tune up this weekend and see for myself. I've been out there just checking out random stuff so far. If anyone knows a good mechanic out towards amarillo, tx. Let me know.

RE: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - Rawze - 03-02-2019

(03-02-2019 )Rilloroc Wrote:  Receipt wise, those sensors and the doser are all new. At this point I don't know that I believe it though. I'll go through and do the egr tune up this weekend and see for myself. I've been out there just checking out random stuff so far. If anyone knows a good mechanic out towards amarillo, tx. Let me know.

closest place would be Mr. hag in atlanta. Not trying to promote him, he is already too covered in work, just stating it like it is.

RE: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - Rilloroc - 03-04-2019

After some more looking, the doser is new. Has about 20000 miles on it. Still looks like the ones I see coming out of a box on YouTube. All the sensors except the imap, delta p are new also. Those 2 were still painted red so im guessing 570000 miles on them. I didn't see half as much soot as I see on the videos, so maybe the guy running it before me was on top of it.
I swapped the Imap but they didn't have the delta p in stock here. I'll swap it out tomorrow and see how it goes. I did the cylinder cut out test and they all sounded the same and strong. I ran the injector performance test and noticed that I heard the squeal on the first 3 injectors when the rpms went over 1500. Those 3 passed. It didn't squeal on 4 and 5, but couldn't complete 5 because it threw a code and stopped the test. I haven't had a chance to run it again to see if that was a fluke. While searching for problems, I think my fan clutch is out. Fan runs all the time whether the green light on the dash is on or not. Can't spin it when the engine is off. Water temp stays between 180 and about 188. Takes quite awhile to get up to temp. Like an hour or so in this 20 degree weather. Never drops below 180 after getting there though.

RE: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - Nilao - 03-04-2019

You could try smacking the fan clutch with a hammer. Mine sticks once in a while after it sits a few days. Either that or the air solenoid controlling it isn't allowing air to get to it. When my fan clutch failed you could hear the air escaping from the seals.

RE: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - Chamberpains - 03-04-2019

My fan doesn't turn when the engine and key are off either, it's designed that way. If you turn just the key to on, don't start the engine, does it spin free then?

RE: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - Rilloroc - 03-08-2019

Haven't had a chance to check more on the fan yet. Been avoiding it really, so I can work on one problem at a time.
To update on the rest. I noticed a small bump in fuel mileage after swapping out the imap and delta p. All the codes were still popping up though. Here's where it gets interesting though. Backstory. I run the same load every day. Amarillo to Dallas to Amarillo. Have since I bought the truck. Fuel at the same place also. They always have prices .40 per gallon cheaper than anywhere else on 287. The full trip takes about all my fuel. I took a different trip yesterday and filled up at a loves instead. A couple of hours later and my engine light went off. Hasn't been back on since. These codes have been popping up for a year now and I've had a lot of work down. Everytime they pop back up an hour or two after leaving the shop. Im gonna change my fuel spot for awhile and see what happens.

RE: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. - snailexpress - 03-09-2019

(03-08-2019 )Rilloroc Wrote:  Haven't had a chance to check more on the fan yet. Been avoiding it really, so I can work on one problem at a time.
To update on the rest. I noticed a small bump in fuel mileage after swapping out the imap and delta p. All the codes were still popping up though. Here's where it gets interesting though. Backstory. I run the same load every day. Amarillo to Dallas to Amarillo. Have since I bought the truck. Fuel at the same place also. They always have prices .40 per gallon cheaper than anywhere else on 287. The full trip takes about all my fuel. I took a different trip yesterday and filled up at a loves instead. A couple of hours later and my engine light went off. Hasn't been back on since. These codes have been popping up for a year now and I've had a lot of work down. Everytime they pop back up an hour or two after leaving the shop. Im gonna change my fuel spot for awhile and see what happens.
Fuel quality sometime very noticeable. Sad you never know what they have at the pump now.