Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
09 prostar visor lights - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: International Trucks Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: 09 prostar visor lights (/showthread.php?tid=4283)

09 prostar visor lights - earnies2 - 03-14-2019

Does anyone have a option other than the factory visor lights they are $40 ea and I don't think there worth the money I would like to change all 5 to somthing different. Hopefully someone on this forum has done it....

RE: 09 prostar visor lights - Rawze - 03-15-2019

for $40 bucks, I think I would open em up and replace the bulbs/LED's??

RE: 09 prostar visor lights - barf - 03-20-2019

I don't know how I missed this post. Sorry for the late reply. I've been running different clearance markers in my '09 ProStar for years now. Several years ago I needed to replace one and the local Int'l stealer wanted $50 CDN. I found TA truckstops carry a similar sized one for (I think) $10 US. Later I found the exact light at Princess Auto (a Canadian chain) carries the exact same light but with their brand name of Powerfist for $7 CDN (about $6 US). The screw holes line up perfectly. Only problem is the light isn't quite as oval as factory is.

One small caution is my truck leaks rain water. I don't think it's coming in from around these lights but I caulked them just in case. I've always wondered if Rawze (or anyone) could use his 3D printer to make plastic ovals, but 3D, not flat, that would accommodate a smaller light and change the angle so it's aimed straight, not pointed up.

edit: I believe this is a Grand General GGA74830

RE: 09 prostar visor lights - earnies2 - 03-24-2019

(03-20-2019 )barf Wrote:  I don't know how I missed this post. Sorry for the late reply. I've been running different clearance markers in my '09 ProStar for years now. Several years ago I needed to replace one and the local Int'l stealer wanted $50 CDN. I found TA truckstops carry a similar sized one for (I think) $10 US. Later I found the exact light at Princess Auto (a Canadian chain) carries the exact same light but with their brand name of Powerfist for $7 CDN (about $6 US). The screw holes line up perfectly. Only problem is the light isn't quite as oval as factory is.

One small caution is my truck leaks rain water. I don't think it's coming in from around these lights but I caulked them just in case. I've always wondered if Rawze (or anyone) could use his 3D printer to make plastic ovals, but 3D, not flat, that would accommodate a smaller light and change the angle so it's aimed straight, not pointed up.

Thanks that light might do the trick....

RE: 09 prostar visor lights - earnies2 - 05-18-2019

Update that grand general light is $21 so I took Rawzes advice and cut one open and bought 2 t10 led lights drilled holes into the back of the housing soldered the leads together put them into the plug and wolla its brighter than the others so I'm just testing it for longevity as the others go I will up fit them too

RE: 09 prostar visor lights - Chamberpains - 05-19-2019

Spend extra time drying them and permanently sealing them. Moisture is the killer of most electronics. That vibration. But good luck controlling that on a truck.

RE: 09 prostar visor lights - barf - 05-19-2019

I noticed they've been hard to find lately. I saw some at the Kenly 95, expensive I thought but I don't remember the exact price. I didn't think they were $21. I wonder if they're discontinued.

I'm surprised something's cheaper in Canada. I just picked one up at Princess Auto for $10.99CDN ($8 US).

RE: 09 prostar visor lights - Rawze - 05-19-2019

(05-18-2019 )earnies2 Wrote:  Update that grand general light is $21 so I took Rawzes advice and cut one open and bought 2 t10 led lights drilled holes into the back of the housing soldered the leads together put them into the plug and wolla its brighter than the others so I'm just testing it for longevity as the others go I will up fit them too

I did that to my side marker lights years ago. Got tired of the factory bulbs always going out.

I gutted the light inside and replaced it internally with something similar to this..
https://amzn.to/2Hr39WL
or maybe this..
https://amzn.to/30DXtjI

RE: 09 prostar visor lights - Waterloo - 05-19-2019

(03-20-2019 )barf Wrote:  I don't know how I missed this post. Sorry for the late reply. I've been running different clearance markers in my '09 ProStar for years now. Several years ago I needed to replace one and the local Int'l stealer wanted $50 CDN. I found TA truckstops carry a similar sized one for (I think) $10 US. Later I found the exact light at Princess Auto (a Canadian chain) carries the exact same light but with their brand name of Powerfist for $7 CDN (about $6 US). The screw holes line up perfectly. Only problem is the light isn't quite as oval as factory is.

If you still have that cab leak, get a case of silicon caulk and fill that gap above your lights with it, where the cap meets the cab. That solved all of my water issues, Rawze is the one that tipped me off as to where the water was getting in, and I went all the way around, right to the cab fairings, both sides. No more issues.