Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
A/c failure...of sorts - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Pete & KW related Help... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+--- Thread: A/c failure...of sorts (/showthread.php?tid=4402)

A/c failure...of sorts - dhirocz - 04-10-2019

So Ive been saving new a/c parts, waiting until the inevitable time came when I needed to service the system. It always worked...just not great.

So I found my A/C no longer working last week when it got a bit hot in the afternoon. I found a big oily spot on the front of the condenser, oil from freon sprayed all around it. Somehow, on top of that, the a/c compressor clutch also quit.

What baffles me is how much oil sprayed out of the system. Its getting a new condenser, dryer, high and low pressure switches, expansion valve, fan switch and seals while Im replacing the compressor. What im curious about is the oil level...it had a TON of oil in the system, and an abnormally high amount of dye to boot which might explain why it was marginal at best.

Ive got a large vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the system. I figure in this situation, with no idea of the oil level in the system, I should flush the whole system to remove all the oil(lines, evaporators), drain the compressor, and start with a fresh charge of oil and get it as close to the 56oz my service manual specifies?

Im pretty familiar with automotive a/c, and have gauges and a good vacuum pump. I don't have access to an a/c machine though.

RE: A/c failure...of sorts - Chamberpains - 04-10-2019

What do you need an "a/c machine" for? You said you already have the gauges and the vacuum pump... That's all you need. The machines just have the recovery system in them for pulling freon from an already charged system. Im assuming the big oil spot on the condenser took care of the freon in the system for you. So pull your system apart and flush it out, replace everything you need to replace, pull a 30 min vacuum, let it sit for 30 min after vacuum to see it holds the vacuum then charge the system thru your gauges using cheap cans of freon from Walmart or a tank and scale if you have access.

RE: A/c failure...of sorts - dhirocz - 04-10-2019

Tomorrow I'm heading into town to go get some oil and some flush...Ill probably change the expansion valve and solenoid in the sleeper too.

Figured I might have been looking too hard into this. Yeah, the system is vented. It put out plenty of oil when it went. My main concern is making sure I get the oil level correct when I close it back up.

RE: A/c failure...of sorts - Magard - 04-10-2019

It probably wasn’t cold because of to much oil before. New condenser I’m assuming now. You do all that to it it will be nice in there.

RE: A/c failure...of sorts - Rawze - 04-11-2019

(04-10-2019 )dhirocz Wrote:  Tomorrow I'm heading into town to go get some oil and some flush...Ill probably change the expansion valve and solenoid in the sleeper too.

Figured I might have been looking too hard into this. Yeah, the system is vented. It put out plenty of oil when it went. My main concern is making sure I get the oil level correct when I close it back up.

Was told that most new compressors usually have the correct amount of oil already in them when you buy one.

Just to be safe, I just used one of these when filling mine up ...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ac-Pro-R-134a-PAG-100-Oil-Charge-with-Ice-32-Oil/509467516

I also do NOT use the stop-leak or dye refrigerant.. can't stand the stuff plugging up my system and needle valves.

RE: A/c failure...of sorts - dhirocz - 04-11-2019

Im flushing it all just to be safe. There was probably twice the oil that should have been in there...not to mention the dye.

Ran out and grabbed a new expansion valve and other parts for the system as well. Im replacing everything except the hoses and evaporator cores. Next time I have to do a compressor...itll get those too.

Ive heard that new sanden compressors come precharged with oil...and this one definitely has oil in it. Ill drain it out and make sure the whole system get resealed and flushed before I put the oil in it and vacuum it down.

RE: A/c failure...of sorts - bwake - 04-11-2019

Many compressors are pre-filled with oil but that doesn't mean that it has the proper levels for your truck, those things fit many different truck brands. If you'll read the directions on the compressor, I'm going to bet that it will have you drain the oil into a beaker, measure the oil that came out and fill with the proper amount required by your particular truck.

RE: A/c failure...of sorts - smorgan87 - 04-12-2019

When i had a hose blow out. I flushed with lacquer thinner thoroughly, soaked the expansion valve in thinner, then blew it out thoroughly with dry clean air, refilled the compressor with the correct amnt of oil (pag 150 with dye from oreilly), pulled a vacuum and recharged with plain no additive 134a. Works great.

RE: A/c failure...of sorts - dhirocz - 04-13-2019

I should have mine finished up tomorrow. Been running a dozen different direction in the last couple days, have a couple other things to fix as well before it goes back on the road on Monday.

Both expansion valves were rusted to their brackets and I had to clean out both evaporator cores. What a mess. Should move some air now.