Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
What is causing screws to loosen on a fuel metering actuator? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: What is causing screws to loosen on a fuel metering actuator? (/showthread.php?tid=4457)

Pages: 1 2

What is causing screws to loosen on a fuel metering actuator? - MRETRANS - 04-24-2019

OK a little help please I am trying to decide if I should buy this fuel metering actuator? OK it is either the metering actuator or the timing actuator from the front of the engine it is the second one closest to the fuel shut off valve above the fuel filter is the fuel rail. These I have found for a minimum of $500 up to $800 from Cummins and I don’t want to replace it to have another problem that is causing it to blow just to do it again.
OK the other day I was running down the road and started to smell fuel and realized I was blowing Fuel all over the highway. I pulled to the side and noticed a steady stream coming from underneath the hood truck was still running so I ran about 10 miles to the next truckstop . That I open the hood and figured out it was this actuator or sensor. Took it off with you at 10 to replace, what I did I noticed a screw fell off this is a two-piece sensor and one of the inside screws that hold it together broke off and therefore it blew the O ring The weird part I thought was that the piece of screw was not tight I did not have to drill it out or anything it was loose so I figured for some reason it backed out then vibration caused it to snap then the pressure blew the o ring
$2.99 and got new screw and oh ring from the hardware store. Reassembled unit and everything was fine for 1000 miles they only had one already that would fit from New Mexico to Arizona to Fort Stockton Texas blew it again and this time I got extra screws and extra O-rings no several time later say over 5000 miles it did it to me again..
So is this what happens when the actuator goes bad or is there another problem that could build building up pressure to cause this to break or back the screws out? This time both screws broke or I didn’t notice the first screw break until the second screw broke but both screws were loose as in I did not have to drill them out of the hole that is what I think is weird
So what say you?
Once again thank you for your help

RE: What is causing screws to loosen on a fuel metering actuator? - Lonestar10 - 04-24-2019

all the actuators are at the same pressure. if its the same one over and over again just replace it. probably already cost you the 500 bucks to replace. and it should say on the white barcode what it is timing or fueling i cant remember the order off hand.

RE: What is causing screws to loosen on a fuel metering actuator? - Waterloo - 04-24-2019

What motor is this? How many miles? these actuators are only good for so many miles... Replace and call it a day... I threw four new ones on at 800,000 miles, preventive maintenance...

RE: What is causing screws to loosen on a fuel metering actuator? - Lonestar10 - 04-24-2019

date code is 08 like mine were so probably an 871.

RE: What is causing screws to loosen on a fuel metering actuator? - MRETRANS - 04-24-2019

OK sorry about the spellcheck or guys

RE: What is causing screws to loosen on a fuel metering actuator? - Waterloo - 04-24-2019

871 and original, replace them all... Bite the bullet... Welcome to the world of EPA trucks. Yes, it sucks, but it is what it is. Just find a carrier or freight that pays the bills +. It never ends, its is continual maintenance and repairs. The good old days of lube oil and filters is long gone, the 1.5 million mile motor is HISTORY. Sad.

Looked it up actuators go this way

Front of truck Fuel, Timing (fuel shutoff) Timing, Fuel ..... Firewall

The screws... I don't know, my first guess would be an engine vibration causing this. Again, which motor, how many miles? Have you replaced the Damper on the motor? They are a 500,000 mile disposable unit and wear out. No reason for the screws to break, unless someone has been playing with the actuators and over tightened. Need History.

(04-24-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Looked it up actuators go this way

Front of truck Fuel, Timing (fuel shutoff) Timing, Fuel ..... Firewall

And they are different part numbers... Metering and fuel...