Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Our trucks and motors are getting old, just a thought... - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Our trucks and motors are getting old, just a thought... (/showthread.php?tid=4530)

Our trucks and motors are getting old, just a thought... - Waterloo - 05-14-2019

Like more than a few guys here, I have an older truck, 2008 ProStar with the ISX CM-871. I have been reading about many problems here that are electrically related, which is not unusual with these rolling can bus units.

There was a post the other day from a member with a wiring harness problem at the fuel actuators. That got me thinking, AGAIN, that it may be a good idea to drop that dime to Cummins or the dealer and order some "under the hood" wiring harnesses for this motor of mine, before they are no longer available.

Just a thought, but I think I will do that today and see what they say, or who I need to purchase from, International or Cummins for my ISX motor.

If you plan on keeping your truck, I think this would be a wise move, as this wiring is not the stoutest stuff out there, and will eventually fail.

I search eBay now and then for discount parts and pieces, the oddball stuff that pops up only now and then at a huge savings. The remote control key fob unit, the dealer wants $600+ for one of those, I picked up old new stock for under $100. Stuff like that, even some interior trim pieces, like my brand new $125 steering wheel with the pods. Pretty soon, the junkyard will be the only recourse as our trucks age. Just a thought.

RE: Our trucks and motors are getting old, just a thought... - snailexpress - 05-14-2019

Waterloo there is company I believe in Washington state they do wire harnesses for any trucks. Will look for the name if i can find it again.

RE: Our trucks and motors are getting old, just a thought... - ynot - 05-14-2019

The engine harness comes from Cummins the dealer can get them for ya, an the firewall back is an OEM spec harness so it has too come from the dealer, your truck probably has a couple different harness depending on features an specs I know kw an Pete harness are like that, so blindly ordering one online is probably not a good idea unless you have the exact part number.

RE: Our trucks and motors are getting old, just a thought... - Waterloo - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019 )ynot Wrote:  The engine harness comes from Cummins the dealer can get them for ya, an the firewall back is an OEM spec harness so it has too come from the dealer, your truck probably has a couple different harness depending on features an specs I know kw an Pete harness are like that, so blindly ordering one online is probably not a good idea unless you have the exact part number.

Not blindly ordering here... Been out there all day working on her, finally have some nice weather.

RE: Our trucks and motors are getting old, just a thought... - ZeroNthedark - 05-14-2019

For my 2005 870 it was $1300 and some change from my local Pete dealer, as of April. That price also got me overnight shipping. As much as I didn't want to pull the trigger on that order, the peace of mind that its all brand new means one less issue that I have worry about, and can concentrate on other matters.

If you're lucky and that beating heart under the hood hasn't decided to spring a hundred leaks you might be okay for awhile, but if yours is like mine and its decided that playing "Lets see how many wires I can douse in oil and fuel" is a really fun game- it might be time.