Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other truck related Help... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Thread: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? (/showthread.php?tid=4643)

Pages: 1 2 3

Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - SquareOne - 06-06-2019

I've been reviewing a load of information about different flatbed trailer types and options, and I figure now it's time to go to the guys who use them on a regular. Not sure how many on here run flatbeds, but I'd like your input on the matter.

- Plenty of brands out there, so if there's one you prefer to the other, please tell me why
- Weight is a something of importance over the steel one I run now...I prefer a 45' or 48'x102"
- I'd like the option to slide the front axle and possible a lift option as well.

Since getting started, I've been obsessed with the idea of good MPG out of my truck. This site has helped tremendously. So far my last few fill-ups have ranged from 8.990-9.103 to the pump. I may be way off, but I think with the right trailer (weight and drag reduction) and aluminum wheels that are waiting to be put on the truck, I may be able to gain another .3-.4+ mpg. Obviously, this is all theory, not real world...yet...but I also didn't expect to get the mileage out of this cm2250-2350 bastard situation I started with (Thanks Rawze).

Aluminum trailer and aluminum wheels on the truck can easily drop me 1300lbs+ lighter than I am currently (this is according to my actual trailer weight compared to the actual weights of the trailers I have been inquiring about). On the plus side of that as well, I'll be further away from gross, as I run heavy most of the time, and the spread will be easier to distribute the load over the axles as they'll be legal for 40k

WYT?

RE: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - Lonestar10 - 06-06-2019

I have a great Dane freedom XP with side boxes between the spread on each side and one box in front of the spread and it's roughly 10000 to 10500 pounds with gear. A spread axle gets you 40000 lb of capacity on the rear vs 34 on a tandem axle. A drop axle would also add weight to a trailer along with more wear items although a drop axle would let you go somewhere near 90,000pounds gross but unless your state has a yearly overweight permit and allows you on interstates most states only allow that weight on Twolane. Drop Axle's tend to have piss poor alignment also from my experience with them in grain hauling

RE: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - SquareOne - 06-06-2019

I don't want to add a drop axle, I just want to add a lift option to the front axle in order to run with a single axle when empty or very light. You think that would still have an alignment issue? It's strictly to save a little on fuel and some wear on the tires when I don;t really need to have them on the ground.

Appreciate the input

RE: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - Lonestar10 - 06-06-2019

dont think lift axle would have issues just always saw bad tire wear in drops.

RE: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - Chamberpains - 06-06-2019

A true lift axle will pay for itself and much more in no time if you run east and use toll roads.

RE: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - flatbed94kid - 06-06-2019

i lift the front when im empty and on toll roads. say with ac units and your light i do it. also good for tight turns so not to scrub the tires.

no issues with this trailer lifting. saves rubber and if the front axels tires go flat you can keep driving or swap tires around i would think

RE: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - Poppa chop - 06-06-2019

I pull a 53’ x 102” reitnouer all aluminum. Run Tx,La, MS and AR. Every so often pull a benson. I like the look and feel of the reitnouer. A couple of o/o did the poor mans lift axle on their benson. When you dump the air the front bags air down a good bit. They bypass air lines and ratchet up the axle. With less than $200 in parts including the ratchet strap and a little time they save tires. You can do the same on the reitnouer too.
As for trailers mine was used by jordan transport. Has box between the spread, dunnage rack and spare tire rack.
I know some prefer the box around the middle of trailer. Easier to work around the tires with the box out the way. Just my .02

RE: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - ynot - 06-06-2019

If your looking for aerodynamics the fontaine revolution is the most aero flatbed trailer I know of, I've never ran one but have a buddy that has one an it's kinda a love hate relationship, he loves it cause the design is built strong it's a solid trailer with the closed ribbing underneath for less drag, he hates it for that same reason the pocket design can be awkward too work with an less chain points, they try to make up for that with chains in the deck an the J track type system they have. Another somewhat design flaw that sets them apart is the tail lights they are a Fontaine specific part so you'll want too keep some spares with ya.

With a lift axle on a flatbed you should be fine on odd tire wear from hitting bumps an dips, if you were running step deck I wouldnt recommend it ya just can't get the wheels high enough to stop it from hitting the ground on bumps. It shouldn't affect alignment I'd be more worried about the slide tracks wearing out an throwing off the alignment that way.

RE: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? - SquareOne - 06-06-2019

(06-06-2019 )ynot Wrote:  ....With a lift axle on a flatbed you should be fine on odd tire wear from hitting bumps an dips, if you were running step deck I wouldnt recommend it ya just can't get the wheels high enough to stop it from hitting the ground on bumps....

I had thought about that the other night when I saw one roll by. Although he was empty, it seemed like the lifted axle height was still fairly close to the ground. Didn't get a chance to see how it reacted when he hit dips or imperfections in the road, but I'd have to imagine they do touch time to time. Flat spots would most likely show up quick when 70mph pavement hits a stationary set of wheels...

- Poppa Chop, those Reitnouer Maxlite's look nice. Haven't seen one in person nor do I know the actual weight. Maybe I'll give them a shout in the AM for some info.

- Ynot, never even considered the aero part of it...only the actual weight and idea of less rolling resistance due to one axle being elevated. That's another factor I'm going to have to check into. They don't give em' away, so I'd like to get the most out of whatever I buy. I also consider resale as well, so I want to purchase something that would be desirable in the flatbed field later on down the line.