Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Exide batteries short life? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Exide batteries short life? (/showthread.php?tid=4794)

Exide batteries short life? - Rounded_nut - 07-13-2019

Just had some 1 year old exides crap out, one was actively venting and the other 2 had signs of leakage, anyone have input on if they're just crap batteries or?

RE: Exide batteries short life? - Lonestar10 - 07-13-2019

What voltage does you alternator run at? Do you have an APU? If no APU are the batteries constantly getting drained by a fridge or any other electronics when the trucks not running?

all this plays a part in battery life. if the batteries are constantly being overcharged as some batteries like charging at 13.5v some like to be 14v cant remember which likes each voltage.

RE: Exide batteries short life? - Waterloo - 07-13-2019

Like Lonestar said, and go around and check your cables and grounds under the truck. I was having all sorts of electrical issues and discovered bare copper everywhere under the truck, it came like this from the factory. I replaced over 100 feet of cable and grounds. Problems went away.

RE: Exide batteries short life? - snailexpress - 07-13-2019

Exide batteries just crap. The next day warranty ends battery is down.
Replaced with AGM from Sam's club 2 years warranty.

RE: Exide batteries short life? - Rounded_nut - 07-13-2019

I do have an apu, cables look good, charges at 14.0 volts, I use a start capacitor so I can't say if they were getting weak. I was planning on replacing them in awhile with deep cycles but have not looked into it enough. When the batteries were replaced I did disconnect the line for the jump posts, don't know how much truth there is to it but I've heard they can short.

RE: Exide batteries short life? - Waterloo - 07-13-2019

If your system is good, and charging, I would go with the AGM batteries that Snailexpress mentioned. Much better all the way around and should last for quite awhile. I have not had any luck with the regular batteries like yourself. AGM's, will be going back in my truck when these wet batteries tank.

RE: Exide batteries short life? - Chamberpains - 07-14-2019

Didn't Rawze say AGM batteries don't like over 13.5v or something like.