Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Front axle weight? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: International Trucks Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: Front axle weight? (/showthread.php?tid=5260)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Front axle weight? - earnies2 - 11-03-2019

2009 prostar ISX I am always heavy on my front axle 13,400 full of fuel. The other day in Tennessee I got put oos at the scale with 15K on the deck .I was 13600 on my steers the cop was a prick. He said slide your 5th wheel, move your load, or buy new load range H tires or tow it off my road...my 5th wheel is all the way back,I had 23 pallets evenly spaced and tarped on the trailer, ofcourse my tanks were full of fuel ..so I ended up calling the Goodyear tire center 3 miles away I dropped my trailer and he wouldn't let me go 3 miles so the tire shop cane to me. I removed 2 3month old Bridgestone tires and put on 2 Goodyear load range H tires I put it back on the scale and was told dont bring that truck back here without it being leagle.....that being said any sushestions?

RE: Front axle weight? - Waterloo - 11-03-2019

Same boat here, 2008 ProStar, but I am not that heavy, around 12,600 on my steers bobtail with full forward mounted tanks. 244" wheel base. And I installed the H tires, never run anything but, due to the weight factor, and that was before my Herd Defender bumper.

I only have a front axle rated at 12,000 lbs... But, my secret weapon is a Watkins & Chalin steerable lift axle, their 8,000 lb unit.

I also have the fifth wheel set up to go as far back on the frame rails as physically possible.

Why is your tractor so heavy? What is different about it vs say mine with all of the crap that I have on mine. Wet kit, Tri-Pac, hydraulic oil, lockers, Herd Bumper, 100 pound subwoofer in sleeper, etc... Not to mention my mattress... LOL!

And you are pulling a flat bed? Something not right here... What are we missing?

RE: Front axle weight? - Nilao - 11-04-2019

Easy way to permanently move the weight....wait till your almost empty on fuel, loosen the straps and slide the tanks back. Our prostars have the tanks right behind the steers so the fuel's weight goes mainly on the steers. a few inches could move a few hundred pounds.

Just an option...

RE: Front axle weight? - Curtisj28 - 11-05-2019

Move fifth wheel rails back or get longer ones. I run 13-13200 with pusher up and 33000 on drives. I have never been bothered. I have a fixed fifth wheel.

RE: Front axle weight? - Lonestar10 - 11-05-2019

Your axle is rated 12,000 or 13,200 your luck he didn't bust your balls there to you were severely over weight no matter which axle you have. And what code tires came off? There's been a rash of people who thought they needed to be owner operators and now they're broke and not buying the proper equipment for their equipment running cheap low ply tires on heavey axles. The heaviest my nose gets is 12, 700 with 34k on the drives and I have a heavier truck then yours with a magnum moose guard so you must have the rails for a van or reefer and need to change for a flat or step deck.

RE: Front axle weight? - Mattman - 11-05-2019

We need a picture of your truck.

Why would international build a truck that would be so heavy on the steer axle?

RE: Front axle weight? - Lonestar10 - 11-05-2019

All I know is if he's doing flat or step it's setup wrong the nose of either should be in the middle of the first drive and pin should be dead ce dead center between axles basically for me with twin 120 gal tanks full of fuel right behind steers and stainless side skirting.

RE: Front axle weight? - earnies2 - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Your axle is rated 12,000 or 13,200 your luck he didn't bust your balls there to you were severely over weight no matter which axle you have. And what code tires came off? There's been a rash of people who thought they needed to be owner operators and now they're broke and not buying the proper equipment for their equipment running cheap low ply tires on heavey axles. The heaviest my nose gets is 12, 700 with 34k on the drives and I have a heavier truck then yours with a magnum moose guard so you must have the rails for a van or reefer and need to change for a flat or step deck.
Are you talking about frame rails?
The truck was originally a Werner truck

RE: Front axle weight? - earnies2 - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  We need a picture of your truck.

Why would international build a truck that would be so heavy on the steer axle?
Here is a picture