Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Cummins ISX engine oil? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Cummins ISX engine oil? (/showthread.php?tid=5645)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Cummins ISX engine oil? - farmer70 - 01-02-2020

Just bought a 2016 ISX right at 500,000 miles was wondering what brand of oil to run in it? Should I find out from previous owner what brand they ran and stick with it. I think it has ran synthetic. I’m not into extended oil changes so I’d rather go back to conventional oil. I was considering John Deere plus 50 oil that I’ve ran in farm equipment. It’s a pretty good oil but it is expensive and not common at truck stops. Also I’m putting a on a OPS bypass filter. I’m guessing by my driving habits and truck make I’ll be in the 12,000 Mile oil change category. Can I ask what gearlube Rawze runs in his engine oil. That’s interesting. If I don’t go with the John Deere oil I’d probably go with Rotella. Thanks.

RE: Cummins ISX engine oil? - tree98 - 01-02-2020

Most of us use rotella. Some of us use stalube gear oil and some use super tech that's Walmart's brand.

RE: Cummins ISX engine oil? - Waterloo - 01-02-2020

Rotella here, no issues and it is everywhere...

And 500,000 miles, have you been under the valve cover? If this motor has been subjected to synthetic and extended oil changes, the oil brand may just be the least of your worries. And while you are in there, run an overhead.

RE: Cummins ISX engine oil? - farmer70 - 01-03-2020

(01-02-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Rotella here, no issues and it is everywhere...

And 500,000 miles, have you been under the valve cover? If this motor has been subjected to synthetic and extended oil changes, the oil brand may just be the least of your worries. And while you are in there, run an overhead.
Thanks, you stated what’s my biggest worry. I miss stated my actual question is it OK to switch oil I’ve always heard you need to stay with one oil. Didn’t want to start a new thread over something so trivial. But I was worried about the overhead and cam issues. Thanks

RE: Cummins ISX engine oil? - Chamberpains - 01-03-2020

Pop the cover, inspect and run the overhead. If everything checks out then go ahead and switch oil. There will be a "possible" oil break in time. Where you may burn or consume a little oil as the engine adjusts to the new composition of oil. But nothing to worry about. Just don't constantly switch. Pick one and stick with it. Rotella t4 is what most of us use. It's great and recommended oil for the ISX.

RE: Cummins ISX engine oil? - JimT - 01-04-2020

So, to keep with the topic, any thought on Chevron Delo 400 SDE? been using it for the 18 months i've owned the truck and it seems to work great. used to use rotella in my dodge 5.9L cummins but I'm switching that over to Delo on the next change. Both the 5.9 and my cm2250 have factory labels suggesting the use of Delo.

Community thoughts?

RE: Cummins ISX engine oil? - tree98 - 01-04-2020

Use whatever you like, just stick with it once you switch. Don't over think it, it's just oil.

RE: Cummins ISX engine oil? - Toddmsc - 01-04-2020

I've always used delo 15-40 or Mobil in all of my trucks. Never any issues or premature failure.

Like he said ^ dont over think it. Pick something that is common around truck stops and is easy to get your hands at for a reasonable price per oil change.

When you settle on new oil, do oil samples for the first 5 or so changes. Run 10k miles then 12k, then 15k. Always look at carbon levels and viscosity of your reports. This will give you a general idea on how far you can go with out wasting oil or going to far and destroying things.

Cheers and good luck

RE: Cummins ISX engine oil? - Rawze - 01-05-2020

the optimal oil change interval (least long term expense) should be based on fuel mileage for a highway truck. here is what is recommended...

(At the bottom of post in this link - http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=108&pid=617#pid617 )