Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
I’m new here and I have some questions. - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: I’m new here and I have some questions. (/showthread.php?tid=5687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - hhow55 - 01-14-2020

990,000 miles on engine, and wanting to add more hp. Very risky

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - cowboycurtis - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020 )hhow55 Wrote:  990,000 miles on engine, and wanting to add more hp. Very risky

I knew it would eventually need rebuilt when I bought it. Would be nice if it ran correctly until that day comes. I wouldn’t have to bump up the hp at all if it would run right.

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - Waterloo - 01-14-2020

You need to contact Unilever or Mommaburt, these 870 motors are not that easy to get right in regards to programing. What model truck? I know it is a Pete, but what? A hood or an aero? If a hood, you could probably squeeze a bit more mpg out of it, but not with the hack job to the EGR you have going on.

And, at 900,000 miles +, not knowing the damage done by the previous owner, it may just be in need of an in frame. Normally at 800,000 miles on a healthy ISX, the rods and mains need to be done. Your weak point now is the wrist pins in the piston assembly, especially if the lower end has not been done.

Do you have a pyrometer on the truck? If so, what is that reading? I bet that motor is cooked. I would install one ASAP if there is not one already installed, especially if you are going to continue to run the truck in its current state. Me, I would park until properly diagnosed and repaired. Been through two in frames in two years myself, don't be a victim.

You will need a laptop and Cummins Insite with the Inline 5 or 6 reader. And contact Unilever or Mommaburt. You can PM them. They can do things remotely.

[attachment=6099]
(01-14-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  You need to contact Unilever or Mommaburt, these 870 motors are not that easy to get right in regards to programing. What model truck? I know it is a Pete, but what? A hood or an aero? If a hood, you could probably squeeze a bit more mpg out of it, but not with the hack job to the EGR you have going on.

And, at 900,000 miles +, not knowing the damage done by the previous owner, it may just be in need of an in frame. Normally at 800,000 miles on a healthy ISX, the rods and mains need to be done. Your weak point now is the wrist pins in the piston assembly, especially if the lower end has not been done.

Do you have a pyrometer on the truck? If so, what is that reading? I bet that motor is cooked. I would install one ASAP if there is not one already installed, especially if you are going to continue to run the truck in its current state. Me, I would park until properly diagnosed and repaired. Been through two in frames in two years myself, don't be a victim.

You will need a laptop and Cummins Insite with the Inline 5 or 6 reader. And contact Unilever or Mommaburt. You can PM them. They can do things remotely.

It has a pyrometer. It doesn’t run hot ever, even when holding it to the floor up hills for a couple miles loaded. Water temp never over 190 and oil temp never over 230. My mechanic said it’s the cleanest million mile truck he’s ever seen. I know I will be dumping a pile of money in it soon but it would be great if it was running good until then.

I would like to add that it’s top engine rpm is 1900. Not sure if that’s normal or not. My Detroit’s run up to 2100.

That is a good sign! You need to see what is on the ECM, if you can pull the actual file and get it to one of the guys here that would be the first step to figuring this out.

That sounds normal, been years since I had an 870, my 871 I run at that 1700 mark all day long. These motors like to be run right around that rpm.

As far as your fuel mileage, that is going to be up to the driver, first thing you do is slow down, best fuel economy is going to be around that 60 to 63 mph at 1700 or so rpm's. I have an 18 speed in my truck and run her on the highway between high 7 and low 8. I rarely go to high 8.

(01-14-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  That is a good sign! You need to see what is on the ECM, if you can pull the actual file and get it to one of the guys here that would be the first step to figuring this out.

Ok. This is exactly why I started this thread! I’m a rookie at this stuff, especially ECM stuff, so point me in the right direction to get the ball rolling. Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated!