Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
I’m new here and I have some questions. - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: I’m new here and I have some questions. (/showthread.php?tid=5687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - Waterloo - 01-15-2020

They usually arrive in a few days, DHL, got mine the same week I ordered it from Hong Kong.

And yep on the low boost, something not right there. You need to address that ASAP, those turbos are not cheap. And if for some reason you do need a new one, most of us here use YTS Turbo out of Griffin GA, he ships, and remans a top notch unit at half the price you will get at a Cummins dealer. And they are much better quality with a warranty. I replaced my last oil slobbering Cummins reman turbo, had two on the truck, both puked oil like no tomorrow. I replaced with this YTS unit when I in framed the motor at Rawze's swanky pad. I was just inspecting it, dry as a bone, the way it is supposed to be... Look him up when it is time.

And how about that CAC? Factory original? With those miles, honestly it is due for a new one. That may be your issue. If you do buy one, only use the OEM unit! Do not waste your money on these aftermarket units, as the air volumes are never correct for these ISX motors and turbos. Just a heads up.

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - cowboycurtis - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  They usually arrive in a few days, DHL, got mine the same week I ordered it from Hong Kong.

And yep on the low boost, something not right there. You need to address that ASAP, those turbos are not cheap. And if for some reason you do need a new one, most of us here use YTS Turbo out of Griffin GA, he ships, and remans a top notch unit at half the price you will get at a Cummins dealer. And they are much better quality with a warranty. I replaced my last oil slobbering Cummins reman turbo, had two on the truck, both puked oil like no tomorrow. I replaced with this YTS unit when I in framed the motor at Rawze's swanky pad. I was just inspecting it, dry as a bone, the way it is supposed to be... Look him up when it is time.

And how about that CAC? Factory original? With those miles, honestly it is due for a new one. That may be your issue. If you do buy one, only use the OEM unit! Do not waste your money on these aftermarket units, as the air volumes are never correct for these ISX motors and turbos. Just a heads up.

CAC? What’s that? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this but learning fast now!

The CAC is the Charge Air Cooler. It sits on top of your radiator and feeds air to the turbo and intake side of the motor. Proper air volume is essential for these variable vein turbos to operate correctly, more so on the CM-871 and newer motors, but the same still applies to your CM-870. The CAC usually has a life expectancy of 800,000 miles with proper care, but can go longer. Eventually they just fail, as the years of dirt and dust pretty much choke them off, and or leaks or cracks develop.

On my truck, the CAC tested out fine, but I was still having issues with boost. I replaced the old unit with a new OEM, even though it past all of the tests, it was toast. That new CAC solved the issues I was having.

Your crank shaft damper too, Cummins recommends that be replaced every 500,000 miles. The damper is that big disc on the lower front of the motor. There is a viscous fluid in it, almost like a silicon jell, it hardens over time and looses its ability to properly balance out the crank shaft. When they start to fail, belts will pop off and components like the alternator and AC compressor can be damaged. There is no way to physically inspect or test one, it is just one of those parts that needs to be replaced at the recommended interval. And they can fail catastrophically, like blow apart. Don't let it get that far. There are photos here somewhere of one that did just that.

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - Lonestar10 - 01-15-2020

I've ordered from China and received in a week and other times about a month it's a crapshoot. My last order was a 1080p with infrared security camera for the DVR system on my truck total cost to my door $27 anywhere in us was north of 100. I have about 500-550 into a full 4 camera DVR on my truck that I can access like a ring doorbell it's also GPS located and current speed displayed like a dash cam. Similar systems from us suppliers were 2 to 4 thousand and probably use the same Chinese parts. So I have no issue with the waiting lol.

And that Amazon was probably just the inline 6 with no insight program.

When you get your stuff install insight from the CD and the updates on CD. Do not let it update from the internet. When it wants the password to finish install send the person you bought from on Ebay the code you are given by insite and they should send you back the proper code

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - cowboycurtis - 01-15-2020

I did a little research in the previous owners maintenance records. The turbo was replaced 106,000 miles ago. EGR tubes, whatever that means, we’re replaced 500,000 miles ago. Not sure if this means anything. I can’t find anything where the EGR was removed.

The whole front of the engine was torn apart 130,000 miles ago and all seals and pulleys replaced and oil pan replaced but says nothing about the balancer.

Just thought I would share what I found. I think I will try and contact the previous owner and find out some more info on the EGR.

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - Magard - 01-16-2020

Charge air cooler needs to be checked for leaks. Verify no leaks on intake system. Then look into computer.

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - Lonestar10 - 01-16-2020

EGR tubes are the 2 hose looking things coming from the EGR Delta sensor.

RE: I’m new here and I have some questions. - cowboycurtis - 01-16-2020

(01-16-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  EGR tubes are the 2 hose looking things coming from the EGR Delta sensor.

But the EGR has been removed so they wouldn’t be there now, right?

I called Peterbilt in Des Moines and got prices on CAC. OEM is $1500 and aftermarket is $667. I think my plan will be to wait for my Inline 6 reader, which will be here on Monday, and have the ECM program looked at before I throw money at the CAC. Is it possible the ECM is causing the low boost?

That’s my plan, let me know if I should be doing something different?