Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 (/showthread.php?tid=5697)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 - Signature620 - 01-16-2020

If the bolt is broken flush or above the surface of the head, I usually weld a nut on but put a washer over the broken bolt first - Helps you avoid welding the bolt to the head. Make sure you get a good amount of heat into the bolt and leave it to cool. It'll come out with ease.

RE: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 - Chamberpains - 01-16-2020

Got it apart. No luck on the broken bolt bolt being any where close to reachable. Its broke off 3/8" in. I don't even know how a bolt breaks that far in. Threads look clean, so I'm hoping a good left handed drill bit will run it right out. [attachment=6110]

Looking at the valves I see a few of them are damp. Here's a couple picks of the worst ones. Anything to worry about or button it up and run it? This is a Cummins cert. Reman engine with about 200,000 on it.
[attachment=6111]
[attachment=6112]

Also, awhile back a couple of us brought up that some of these remans have heads with serial numbers hand welded on them. Figured I'd post a clear picture of what I'm talking about. Rawze brought up it may be a sign of funny business. Any thoughts?
[attachment=6113]

RE: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 - Nostalgic - 01-16-2020

I'm open to correction, but those valves look dry to me. You'll always have some degree of dampness on the stems.

The dark black part is wet. The sooty black is dry. They're not soaked and the ports are dry. I have 6 the valves completely dry and the other 6 in different stages of wet half way down. I only posted 2 of the more wet ones.

I'm just curious is something I'll have to keep an eye on or is this par for the course on an ISX.

RE: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 - Rawze - 01-16-2020

they looked fine to me.

you would know it if they were actually leaky. It would not be subtle

RE: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 - Signature620 - 01-17-2020

Leaking ISX valve stems is very common and rarely worth fixing. Those rugged looking serials have been on the heads for ages. I'm using one right now on a rebuild that was a brand new head in a recon box - Has the same type of hand made lettering.

RE: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 - Chamberpains - 01-23-2020

Just figured I'd post some pics of things.

The manifold that I took off. The EGR end wasn't sealing anymore to the center section. So I replaced all of it.
[attachment=6157]

The new manifold with the EGR port gone. Uni hooked me up with a guy. Thanks again. Slid right in and worked perfectly. Bolts get torqued in sequence @ 44 ft/lb
[attachment=6158]

The YTS turbo showed up today. Looks and sounds great. I replaced all hoses and pipes even though some were still good. I'm not planning on dealing with them "piece meal" failing on the road.
[attachment=6159]

This whole job can be handled by anyone with patience, a few torque wrenches and ambition to keep your money in your pocket.

RE: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 - tree98 - 01-23-2020

Re torque your manifold bolts after about 5 days of use. I torqued all mine in sequence but they all loosened up and had to re torque, been fine since.

So how did you get the broken bolts out?