Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Engine Cleaning - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Engine Cleaning (/showthread.php?tid=5726)

Pages: 1 2

Engine Cleaning - JimT - 01-22-2020

When I was a new owner I made the mistake of letting one of those big chains pressure wash my engine. Once I learned that it was bad and could cause problems with electrical connections I stopped (only did it twice). I've heard and read that it's best to steam clean the engine.

So, that brings up the question, where do people go to get the engine steam cleaned? I live in the northeast US and basic truck washes are hard to find up here, let alone steam cleaning. It's been over a year since the engine was pressure washed the final time and, while not bad, it could use a little shining up.

Looking for recommendations on specific places to go. Also any tips, tricks, tools, or advice for possibly cleaning the engine myself.

Thanks!

RE: Engine Cleaning - Waterloo - 01-22-2020

I use a good squirt of Dawn, an ounce or two of gasoline, not much, in about a two gallon bucket of hot water and use a microfibre cloth like Home Depot sells. Just wet the motor down and gently wipe her down. Rinse with the garden hose. For those tough areas, use a spray bottle with hot water, Dawn and gasoline. You may want to use more gasoline for the tough to get to areas. Make sure the motor is cold, and keep a fire extinguisher handy, LOL!

You can use detailing brushes, you can find them on Amazon, like this kit, the wheel brush is nice to get in behind things, I need to get another one. https://www.amazon.com/YISHARRY-LI-Cleaning-Different-Synthetic/dp/B07RZ37MWX/ref=sr_1_38?keywords=auto+detail+engine+brushes&qid=1579710287&sr=8-38

Once you give it that first real good cleaning, it is pretty easy to maintain. The more gasoline you use the better it cuts the oil or grease. Washing the crap off of the oil pan was a bit annoying, but like I said, after that first good cleaning it is easy to maintain. I had a front cover leak, leak repaired and mess cleaned up.

RE: Engine Cleaning - Brock - 01-22-2020

I've always pressure washed my engine bay every single time I wash my truck. Never really thought of it being a bad thing.

RE: Engine Cleaning - tree98 - 01-22-2020

Same here^^^^ it's better than having everything turn to rust and fall off.

(01-22-2020 )Brock Wrote:  I've always pressure washed my engine bay every single time I wash my truck. Never really thought of it being a bad thing.

Water gets in those plugs, the harness, as the trucks get older, you know how they get, old and brittle, lose their integrity over time. I still have them get the frame rails, behind the motor tranny area, and suspension, tell them to leave the actual motor and driver side firewall alone.

RE: Engine Cleaning - Billy7871 - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020 )Brock Wrote:  I've always pressure washed my engine bay every single time I wash my truck. Never really thought of it being a bad thing.

Same here!

RE: Engine Cleaning - tree98 - 01-22-2020

Salt and liquid de icer gets in those plugs to, you gotta get it out somehow or end up with green wires. I turn the pressure all the way down and wash all those plugs. I understand the concern but it's just what works for me.

(01-22-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Salt and liquid de icer gets in those plugs to, you gotta get it out somehow or end up with green wires. I turn the pressure all the way down and wash all those plugs. I understand the concern but it's just what works for me.

I hear you there, getting the guys at the streaking beacon to take it easy can be aggravating, LOL! Then they want a damn tip, and we all know how good of a job they normally do. Nothing to write home about. At least my experience.

One thing, to keep the motor clean, make sure those rubber flaps on the hood are all intact, around the wheel wells, they really do keep a lot of crap out from under the hood. Mine are all messed up, but I manage to keep them doing their job.

RE: Engine Cleaning - JimT - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  I hear you there, getting the guys at the streaking beacon to take it easy can be aggravating, LOL! Then they want a damn tip, and we all know how good of a job they normally do. Nothing to write home about. At least my experience.

One thing, to keep the motor clean, make sure those rubber flaps on the hood are all intact, around the wheel wells, they really do keep a lot of crap out from under the hood. Mine are all messed up, but I manage to keep them doing their job.

What? They want a tip for 15 minutes of waving a pressure washer wand around after charging $50-60? Hells no. If they want a tip they can hand polish the aluminum or something. (no chrome on this truck)